Oct 24, 2020
Saint Paul, MN
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

I'm a pre-med student in Minnesota about to apply to med school in the coming year and I was just wondering what schools on my list would be basically an auto-reject for me. (Stats: 3.75 cGPA, 3.88 sGPA, 522 MCAT)

University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities
University of Minnesota Medical School - Duluth
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Cornell University Joan and Sanford I. Weill Medical College
University of Illinois College of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
Rush University Medical College
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
University of Colorado School of Medicine
Brown University Alpert Medical School
University of Utah School of Medicine
Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine

Thank you for your help!

About the Ads

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
We can’t tell without your ECs. Rush, for instance, expects hundreds if not thousands of hours in clinical and nonclinical service. Illinois has horrendous OOS tuition, might be the highest in the country. You have almost all OOS public schools on your list. Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? If you want advice you are going to have to tell us more about your application.

Oct 24, 2020
Saint Paul, MN
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
We can’t tell without your ECs. Rush, for instance, expects hundreds if not thousands of hours in clinical and nonclinical service. Illinois has horrendous OOS tuition, might be the highest in the country. You have almost all OOS public schools on your list. Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? If you want advice you are going to have to tell us more about your application.
I'm sorry for not including my ECs. I was kinda just hoping people would point out schools on my list that won't accept me just because of where I live. I should've been more clear about that. I'm sorry.

Major: Biology (BS)
Minor: Film Studies
Strong Upward trend in grades (3.09 to 4.0)
Age (Have been told will work against me): 19 at time of application, 20 summer of matriculation
Applying for Army HPSP
College: Large Private Catholic College in the Midwest
Specialty: I hear it is really subject to change in med school but I have a strong passion and desire to become a psychiatrist, I can't see myself doing anything else. Half of my clinical experience is in mental health and I have closely worked with Psychiatrists at that position for just over a year. I absolutely know that it's what I want to do.

1,200 hours - Mental Health Assistant at an assisted living home for those affected by mental illness
1,350 hours - EMT
120 hours - Biology Research (No Major Publications)
80 hours - Film Studies Research (One Major Publication)
108 hours - Long-Term Commitment Food Bank Volunteering (Selected for an official role in the group and accomplished a mission over 9 months)
36 hours - Volunteering at a Hospital Pathology Research Lab (Lab Assistant)
144 hours - Serve & Learn Experience Volunteer at a Metro area hospital (2.5 hours clinical volunteer work with patient exposure and half an hour conversation with a physician a week)
120 hours - Shadowing (Psychiatrist, Hospitalist (IM), Diagnostic Radiologist, Cardiothoracic Surgeon)
One Year of Air Force ROTC (Left due to it not being very Pre-Med friendly)
President of my University's Table Top Gaming Club
Basic Life Support Certified
N1 Japanese Language Proficiency Test Certified
Have 1 F and 2 Cs from dual enrollment classes taken when I was 15-16 (I was disowned by my family for my sexuality and OCD which greatly affected me for a year, plus I was experiencing burnout from being three years ahead in math (One of the Cs is a C- in Calculus I had taken my Sophmore year of high school)

Thank you for your help! It is very greatly appreciated! And if you think there are schools that are a better fit for me, I'm happy to hear about them!

Last edited:

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So you have the makings of a top applicant - I would probably remove some of the state schools that don't favor OOS students.

Add all your state schools and regional safeties, and then apply wherever you'd like - aim for 20-25. Out of your current list I would keep:

University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities
University of Minnesota Medical School - Duluth
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Cornell University Joan and Sanford I. Weill Medical College
University of Illinois College of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
University of Colorado School of Medicine

And Consider:
NYU, Sinai, Columbia, Jefferson, Penn, Temple, Emory, Georgetown, Duke, Yale, Miami, UChicago, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Einstein, UCSF, Stanford.

Last edited:

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
Thanks for expanding on your ECs. Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? Although I’m not familiar with specific stats some of the schools on your list accept few, if any OOS applicants. For instance Washington accepts applicants mainly from specific states .

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Remove U Washington since they accept less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. Oregon, Utah and UConn also accept few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add any of these schools:
Washington University (St. Louis)-almost a guaranteed interview with your MCAT of 522
U Chicago
Duke
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Columbia
NYU
Mount Sinai
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Georgetown
Boston University
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hey everyone,

I'm a pre-med student in Minnesota about to apply to med school in the coming year and I was just wondering what schools on my list would be basically an auto-reject for me. (Stats: 3.75 cGPA, 3.88 sGPA, 522 MCAT)

University of Connecticut School of Medicine

University of Utah School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine

Thank you for your help!
Delete the above.

Add more schools, as per Faha

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads