Which schools to add/cut?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plumerias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!! Thanks in advance for the advice. PA resident, not against going OOS (I'd honestly like to go somewhere warmer) but I'm thinking about cutting out a couple of the extravagantly pricey private schools..

Flute performance major, bio minor
cGPA: 3.66
sGPA: 3.41
DAT: 21 AA, 20 TS, 19 PAT [20 QR, 22 RC, 19 BIO, 21 GC, 22 OC]

95 hours of shadowing through 4 general dentists, great ECs/leadership, although mostly music related. ~75 hours of volunteer in non-medical setting and I'm currently volunteering at a dental clinic. I'm guessing good but not thrilling LORs + a committee letter.

1. Temple
2. Penn
3. NYU
4. Maryland
5. Case Western
6. Tufts
7. Nova
8. UMichigan
9. Pittsburg
10. Western
11. USC
12. USCF
13. UoP

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nice list! If you cut a private school, I think you could add in Buffalo, you have a good shot and you get IS tuition after one year. If I were to cut one private it would be USC to replace Buffalo. Other than that looks great.

Reactions: 2 users
Also look into OSU- I believe they too give in state after 1 year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd cut USC and add buffalo and maybe even UCONN (could be considered a reach but I've seen many with similar stats interview there)

Reactions: 1 user
If you're reaching for UCSF, you might as well reach for UConn. Both offer in-state tuition after one year where UConn is like more than 50k cheaper than UCSF. But with your stats in particular, without any information on your whole application, your science scores will be the hurdle.

Thanks everyone!! I didn't even think about schools that offer instate tuition after a year.

Just a couple more questions..
Is UoP OOS friendly? It seems like a lot of their applicants are from cali.
Do you guys think UCSF/UConn/UPenn are fair reaches? Or should I not even bother haha

Thanks everyone!! I didn't even think about schools that offer instate tuition after a year.

Just a couple more questions..
Is UoP OOS friendly? It seems like a lot of their applicants are from cali.
Do you guys think UCSF/UConn/UPenn are fair reaches? Or should I not even bother haha

UoP is kind of OOS friendly but I think a lot of their students are Cali because the program is unique. UConn is a fair reach, Penn possibly too. UCSF you are about average for their stats but just be aware of their IS preference.

LSU!! Really one of the lower tuitions out there, even for out of state. Also, school is in New Orleans.. 20 mins from the airport, 15 mins from Bourbon St., the Superdome, etc... What's not to love? Super great staff, students, and the dean of admissions is a class act. He can help with anything, also tell you exactly what he's looking for and what you need to do to get there. Highly recommend.

Another school to consider is University of Florida. I say that because I know theres a loophole in the OOS tuition costs. At least as of last year, you really only had to pay OOS tuition for your first year. Down there, it takes 1 year to become a Florida resident. After your first year, you could change your residency and only pay in-state tuition. That came straight from the dean of admissions mouth. Pretty cool, and I know they have a good program.

Hope this helps!

How many OOS students do you have in your class, gage1124? Are they from surrounding states or all over?

I'm not 100% sure of the exact numbers this year. But I do know their goal was/is a class of 65 total students; 4 are reserved for Arkansas and 5 are reserved for OOS, the other 56 are in-state. Arkansas has no dental school, so the surrounding schools help them out by reserving spots for them.

Sometime the numbers may vary by one or two students either way, it all depends on the cycle, who accepts/declines their offer, etc. I mean, it's always harder to get into an OOS program based on the odds, but it's surely not impossible.

Ok, thanks. That is really the first I've seen that LSU is OOS friendly so I was just curious. I don't have the ADEA book yet since I'm not applying until next year but just trying to keep a running list of OOS friendly, relatively less expensive schools.

I interviewed with several OOS people... Their interviews went great and most of them are in my class now. If you get the interview, that means they want you, especially OOS because they only have a few spots offered. You gotta be good, though! I'd say you're in a good place.