Which schools you would NOT reapply to & reasons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nefertari

Undercover Premed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To psyche myself out for the possibility of reapplying, I've been trying to sort through my list to decide which schools to definitely not add the second time around, from my experience this cycle. I would really appreciate feedback from those of you also trying to figure out which schools to pick. Just take my comments w/ a grain of salt, though, since everyone's situation is different depending on state residency, special interests, or personal circumstances. I'm CA resident, btw.

OK, slap me if I end up reapplying to any of these schools--

VERMONT: They were the only school to make an issue of my chem I exemption. They claimed to have sent me a letter back in Jan requesting more info, which I never received. Only last month, I got a letter saying my application was not reviewed b/c it was incomplete due to my missing credit for chem (they did cash my check, however).

USC: Nada post-secondary.

UCONN: b/c of their small class size, seems as though chances for out-of-state apps are very low (even though they report 20%) unless you belong to some niche or have ties to Conn.

Schools in PHILLY, PA: I didn't have any luck w/ these schools (seems as though they give preference to in-state or regional apps). They have large class sizes, which is a plus to increase your chances, but the drawback is that they interview way too many.

NYMC: They may like CA apps, but they also interview too many.

OHSU: Tough for out-of-state apps unless you're a superstar.

LOMA LINDA: Chances not great if you're not SDA or don't have a religious history.

P.S.--b/c I took the Aug mcat, I made the mistake of not sending out most of my out of state secondaries til mid-Oct, which I think really hurt my chances @ those private schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Just because you haven't heard anything from USC this year doesn't mean they won't give you an interview if you reapply. I got an interview from them this year. Their no update system is just the way they work. You shouldn't take offense to it.

OHSU is not tough for out of staters. They receive very little funding from the state so they are pretty much free to accept whomever they please. I definitely do not have superstar stats but I got an interview from OHSU.

I don't know about the other Philly schools. But Drexel didn't seem to have a preference for in staters. In fact a significant portion of their class is from cali(I wanna say half but i'm not too sure). Some of them referred to it as UCDrexel. I agree, they do interview a ton of applicants though.

If I were you I wouldn't eliminate USC, OHSU, or Drexel from your list of schools to reapply to. Just because they didn't grant you an interview this year doesn't mean they won't grant you one next cycle. In fact I think it is better that you try to reapply to the same schools because it demonstrates to them that you would really want to go to their school.

just my 2 pennies. :)

Personally, if I have to reapply I might not reapply to Drexel or NYMC just because I am mad at them for cashing my check and never bothering to so much as send me a rejection letter, though Drexel did send me info. on their other programs :mad:
I know it might not be the best reason to not reapply, but it just pissed me off so much that I might not...why give them another 100$ just to throw away my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Finch cashed my secondary check in sept, and I haven't received any mail from them. And I could care less.

For the above poster: yes, the drexel post-bacc mailings were offensive and ridiculous...like..like..

Like a proposition after losing a cheap beauty pageant.

Like a mosquito offering to sell your blood back at half-price.

Like a man peddling waterwings after a bad swimming championship.

Like a frat boy offering you free skin lotion, for the gonorrhea he gave you.

Like a used car salesman trying to sell a new engine for the car you just bought.

I have to agree with Drexel (though NYMC and Finch told me they didn't want me - maybe you guys are still being considered?)

Howard - They're ridiculous! I had my AMCAS finished in early July and I didn't hear from them til the end of November.

UMDNJ-RWJ - I'm really bitter since they're my state school and didn't interview me even though they're supposed to "strongly favor" instate applicants

EVMS - I thought I had a chance with them because they screen for secondaries, but they dated my rejection the day they received&cashed (didn't waste any time there) my check before I even sent all my supporting documents.

don't bother applying to Boston University....
the school is fine, but the admissions office staff is utterly incompetent.

if you're going to repick schools, i would suggest looking at raw statistics about the % of acceptees. and apply to a wide variety of schools.

just don't waste your time and money on bu. they have a problem managing the complexity of the US mail system (i.e. putting a stamp on something and putting it in a mailbox.)

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
If I were you I wouldn't eliminate USC, OHSU, or Drexel from your list of schools to reapply to. Just because they didn't grant you an interview this year doesn't mean they won't grant you one next cycle. In fact I think it is better that you try to reapply to the same schools because it demonstrates to them that you would really want to go to their school.

just my 2 pennies. :)
Alright, I'll keep those 3 on the list for now. Temple & Jefferson are more "iffy" since there were discussions that a certain # of spots in their classes are for feeder programs. I was thinking the same thing @ showing commitment by reapplying to the same schools--also, I'll have to force myself to finish secondaries by Sept. The east coast schools move so fast compared to CA--I remember they were sending out invites starting last Aug.

That's wonderful you did so well @ so many great schools this year! Thanks for your pennies, UCLAMAN.

carrigallen, I enjoyed your analogies! When I got the Drexel post-bacc junk--I tore off my address & sent it all back to them in their big postage-paid envelopes.

nef, hopefully hopefully you won't have to worry about reapplication, but if you do here's my 2 cents.

i agree with the BU comment. they receive SO many applications, that there is a fair amount of luck involved in getting in, more so than at other schools. that's not saying the people who get in aren't qualified or anything, it's just to say that they have to be overlooking some really good people with so many applicants. i would not apply there again unless i really wanted to live in boston for some reason.

ohsu is rumored to have a gpa/mcat cutoff for out of staters of 3.5/30. i'm not positive this is true or if this will continue since they seem to want to have more out of staters to pay higher tuition, but it is something to consider if you don't have at least those numbers. i would call and ask them if you are below those numbers.

even though you had a bad experience with uvm, i wouldn't rule them out. i'm still slightly bitter about my post-interview rejection there, but it truly is a unique school with a really happy student body. everyone was so nice there, so it sounds as if you just had bad luck. i would try again if i were you unless you just can't take the cold! uvm is very non-trad friendly and seemed like a really special place.

i'm surprised you had bad luck with drexel. maybe another case of too many applicants and you got overlooked. i think you should try again for drexel, because they interview and accept a lot of people.

if i had to do it again i wouldn't apply to nymc. i didn't like the school, though a lot of that had to do with having attended college nearby and it bringing back memories of all the things i didn't like about westchester/the mid-hudson valley. there were other aspects of the school i didn't like either, but you might not feel the same way.

usc. pfft. keep them on your list if you want to live in cali i suppose. i think it is really rude that they haven't contacted me EVER, not even to tell me my application stinks and they don't want me.

i'd take off loma linda if i were you & you're not religious. i don't know much about the philly schools other than drexel.

if i were to reapply, some schools i might consider adding that i didn't apply to this year are: a couple in texas, u colorado, umiami (they take out of state, right?), mcw, creighton, and slu. i think some schools like nymc, drexel, and bu tend to be everyone's backup, so they get tons of applicants. i would have been better off applying to schools with fewer applicants but with similar stats. oh well, i didn't know :).

i'll keep crossing my fingers for you! if you have to reapply i think you will have much more luck if you get those apps in early.

bu gets a ton of applications, yes. but the number of applications has nothing to do with the admissions staff's incompetence. they are simply inherently incompetent. that they get so many applications just makes the problem worse.

I know somewhere in the back of my mind, I agree with UCLAman about USC, but I have to say I will not be reapplying there. Mainly becuase both them and UC Irvine did not give me an interview (UCI had me on hold), but neither did I fulfill their other biology/biochem requirements, so compared to other applicants, I don't think I looked as appealing. I say this because for schools where I had already completed every requirement, no matter how random (i.e. a year of college Spanish preferred but not required but they ask you to list it in their 2ndary), I received interviews. So to me it seemed as if my application was given favor if I had already finished what that particular school wanted. Since I don't plan on completing the UCIrvine/USC biochem/extra bio requirements, I won't be applying there again.

Agree with the not applying to religious schools as well. Georgetown practically cashed my check and send the rejection letter the same day, but I should have done my homework considering they ask you about that stuff in your interview.

oh, yeah, how could I have forgotten BU? :mad: Well, I have family in RI, so I might end up making another $100 donation to BU. I appreciated that they were honest @ their greediness (no ploys of lengthy secondary essays).

I was actually less pissed off @ BU than USC, who asked us for those pain in the ass essays, then no feedback whatsoever. The one good thing @ the USC process is that they only interview @ 500, which is not a lot for a private school with a big class.

A definite NO to NYMC & also PENN STATE--forgot to mention that both of these schools require grad letters (if you're been thru grad school). Plus, Penn State's universal "hold" is so annoying.

lola, maybe I'll give Vermont another chance (at my money), given all the positive comments @ the program and people there (and it's a great opportunity to improve your skiing)! Thanks for the reassurance.

Originally posted by emtji
bu gets a ton of applications, yes. but the number of applications has nothing to do with the admissions staff's incompetence. they are simply inherently incompetent. that they get so many applications just makes the problem worse.
:laugh: That cracked me up!! I should go to bed soon. After they've torn our applications to shreds this year, it's so fun to have our revenge on the schools! :D

Gosh, you must have had a really horrible experience w/ the staff. Did they give you a headache post-interview?

I totally agree with the EVMS one. I had the exact same thing happen to me. How blatantly rude.

Other schools:
- Boston (they were really rude on the phone every time)
- Georgetown (too expensive; too snobby)

Good luck!

Originally posted by abw

EVMS - I thought I had a chance with them because they screen for secondaries, but they dated my rejection the day they received&cashed (didn't waste any time there) my check before I even sent all my supporting documents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll second the BU and Howard statements...what a waste.

BU and Georgetown.

BU: Not to BU-bash, but I was not impressed with the school and they string people along all year on various waitlists and hold pools. It's not worth the wait for me.

Georgetown: Super-expensive secondary fee all for a rejection two weeks later, topped off with solicitation mail for their grad school. Whatever!

If I have to go through this garbage again, I would not apply to ETSU, MCG, or SIU again. These schools pretty much accept only in state applicants or people who choose to apply for early decision.

Also, since I am not a California resident, I doubt that I will apply to any of the California schools next year.

I would not apply to Utah again since they deactivated my application when they did not get a letter of recommendation in a timely manner. They did not deactivate the payment though. That really ticked me off and they were so rude about it. The same thing happened to me at Finch, but after talking with the admissions director, who seemed to be very positive about my application, I feel a little better about them and will reapply there. It really makes a difference when the admissions directors do show a little empathy and respect when applicants are faced with situations like this.

BU and Tufts...I never realized how much more expensive they were than your average private school. How they can get away charging 10k more than any other school I went to see is beyond me :)

Ok...I'm gonna toss my 2 pennies in the ring again. :D

If some of you are faced with reapplication(I knock on wood that you won't be faced with it), I really don't think you should be removing schools from your reapplication list for silly reasons like....(not in any particular order)

1. Their front office is full of butt-wipes who were rude to me everytime I called and flipped me off over the phone so I flipped them off back.

2. I sent my check in to them and they cashed it the next day without accepting me(sans interview) and offering me a full ride scholarship to their institution.

3. My file was complete on the 4th of July and I haven't heard squat; not even a post card from the dean of admission's vacation in Tahiti.

4. The school is full of a bunch of people that wear Prada and apparently hold their noses up much too high for me.

...I understand the bitterness. I felt it 30 times last year(and a few more times this year). But thats the nature of the beast. The frustration definitely runs high in this process.

However, I don't think it is wise to be removing schools from your lists that you are probably qualified for(assuming you can financially afford to reapply to those schools). Unless you retook the mcat and your score jumped from a 30 to a 35, or your gpa somehow went from a 3.5 to a 3.9, or you added some amazing EC experience, your application really hasn't changed much. That means that, just like this cycle, you will need as many opportunities as possible just to get into 1 medical school. Look at it this way...beggers can't be choosers, especially the second time around(assuming your application hasn't demonstrated some sort of marked improvement).

My point is that you shouldn't eliminate a school out of frustration because they very well could be the school that invites you for interview next year. If I had eliminated schools that I was frustrated with I probably would have had 4 interview invites instead of 11. With 4 invites I may have not gotten in at all this time around! The fact that you are reapplying to a school can work to your advantage, especially if that is all you have going for you(ie if you haven't beefed up your application).

The rude front offices, the long droughts without an update from a school, etc...those are all things that come with the territory. You are 1 applicant out of 6,000, in some cases 10,000...don't expect admissions offices to be chummy with you. Don't take it personal. Thats how the application game works. Again, don't take it personal and definitely do not eliminate opportunities bceause some dumb lady in an admissions office was rude to you or the person you met on the tour was a prick. EVERY school you go to will have awesome people and bungholes.

Also, I personally wouldn't eliminate schools that interview everyone on the face of the planet. Why? Because that means there is a greater chance of scoring an interview and getting a 1 on 1 opportunity to sell yourself in person. If you can afford it, why pass that chance up?

Many of you will make wonderful doctors. But you need to get into medical school first. Don't lessen your chances of admission by eliminating schools for petty reasons.

Good luck all!

I wouldn't have applied to BU again. I would have added Vermont, NYU, and Columbia...just to see. I probably also would have eliminated Temple and Jefferson, just because I wasn't thrilled with Philly. I'd adjust your list, maybe add a few...it's expensive but worth it to possibly have more options.

Originally posted by carrigallen
Finch cashed my secondary check in sept, and I haven't received any mail from them. And I could care less.

.....Like a mosquito offering to sell your blood back at half-price...
HEY! I'm slightly offended by this buddy, nobody compares me to finch and gets away with it. ;)

Schools to beware of (according to me).

OHSU: There is a GPA/MCAT cut-off for out-of-staters. (3.5/30??). Call first and make sure your scores are ok before applying.

UW: Out of state MD/PhD only from what their letter to me said.

And personally, I wouldn't re-apply to Temple because I didn't like the location or the facilities (I know, it's superficial).

I had good experiences with Drexel and NYMC: good interview days, nice people in the admissions office.

I think the thing with OHSU is that they "give preference", or maybe only consider, out-of-staters that meet the criteria listed on their admissions webpage. So, I suppose the 3.5/30? requirement would be for the "superior academic" criteria.

http://www.ohsu.edu/som/dean/md/admissions/process.shtml

Nonresidents of Oregon who fit into one or more of the following categories:
WICHE-Certified applicants from Montana and Wyoming.
Members of underrepresented ethnic/racial groups as defined by the Association of American Medical Colleges.
Those applying to the M.D./Ph.D. and M.D./M.PH. Combined Degree Programs.
Applicants with superior achievements, such as academics, related experiences, etc.

actually, my dislike of BU has nothing to do with bitterness from rejection. i got many other rejection letters from many other schools (albeit an acceptance or two or three found its way into the pile)....
but BU has admissions staff issues. not only did they lose my amcas application, but they also couldn't find a way to get me a secondary application (a picture and a check). after making three separate requests for one, they told me, "well...why don't you just send us a picture and a check for $100..." to which i replied, "well, if you can't manage to send a letter across town (i live in boston), then i'm not going to send you $100."

overall, most of the staff was pleasant over the phone, but being pleasant doesn't make up for genuine incompetence.

I luckily had the waiver and did not pay the $100, but their application is the most incomplete picture they have of an applicant, no committee letter, or anything, so it's NUMBERS and maybe if your dad is on the committee of admissions that gets you in there...

I would actually LOVE to reapply to Loma Linda just for fun and put a big YES on their "do you drink?" and "do you smoke?" questions...Then top it off with how I have become dependent on caffeine to study and get through my days of sleeplessness and that caffeine is responsible for my high GPA. Then say how I am adamant about saying NO to drugs...see if I get interviewed...:p

I agree with the Philly area comment; they did not interview me (South US) but many from the area do get interviews...

I also say research the LOCATION of the school; many people apply to schools based on Rankings, or Prestige, or as "Safeties" but once invited to interview they realize LOCATION is very important...so see the LOCATION of the schools and apply in batches to coordinate interviews, or have the "interview me b/c I will be in the area for an interview at another school" letter ready. Peace out.:D

Originally posted by Nefertari

When I got the Drexel post-bacc junk--I tore off my address & sent it all back to them in their big postage-paid envelopes.

:wow: LOL :laugh: now I wish I hadn't shredded them... :laugh:

I didn't apply to any osteopathic schools because I'm interested in working abroad. Something to consider

kreno

Kreno, are you sure you got the right thread here? Where on earth did osteopathic schools come in? Do you have some beef against DOs or something?

Anyway, from my experience, the admission process for osteopathic medical schools was more amicable than the admission process for allopathic schools.

For starters, the AACOMAS had a more user-friendly interface than AMCAS. Phone calls to admission offices were answered quickly and nicely. Rescheduling interviews due to conflicts was a breeze.

During the interviews, medical students would gladly stop by and say HI, answer any questions that I had, and offer words of encouragement.

Afterwards, random people (who would see you in suits) will talk to you, ask you how the interview went, and offer words of encouragement.

In some schools, the admission staff meet weekly (or monthly) so you won't be waiting for 3+ months waiting for a decision.

Overall, IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, the DO process was much nicer than the MD process.

In regards to Kreno mentioning that DOs can't practice overseas - he's partly correct. Some countries do not give practice rights to US trained DOs (France comes to mind). Some countries give full practice rights (Germany). If you decide to apply DO and want to practice overseas, do your research.

Originally posted by carrigallen
:wow: LOL :laugh: now I wish I hadn't shredded them... :laugh:
Don't worry, you're in the system now & they'll haunt you w/ post-bacc mail every year. :D

I agree with UCLAMAN's advice--though rightly pissed off, we should repick schools objectively to increase our chances the second time.

Anyone want to take a jab @ Jefferson and Cornell? I wanted to do a search on the Cornell process, but the "search" is still down. (Does Cornell use the amcas app?)

Also, the tuition @ some Carribean schools, like St. George is significantly less than many of the privates in the U.S. Some of them also participate in amcas. Did anyone apply to these schools this cycle?

This year, I was prejudiced @ applying to them, but now that I've had more time to think @ it, if I couldn't stay in CA, I'd rather study medicine in a tropical climate than have to pay higher tuition and freeze my butt off in New England. I've heard of someone now in residency @ UCSF who did med school @ St. George and it didn't seem to be a problem (the extra board she had to take wasn't too bad).

If I didn't already have an alternative health background, I would also consider D.O. programs. Another drawback to D.O. is the residency application issue (there are not that many D.O. residency programs). But as it is, it's important to me to learn the allopathic approach. Anyhow, feel free to correct me if I've babbled inaccurately @ anything.

Another drawback to D.O. is the residency application issue (there are not that many D.O. residency programs).

Nefertati, this statement is incorrect. DOs can apply to any of the allopathic programs and the AOA has their own programs to which DOs can apply. However I read on SDN that some of the more prestigious programs will not consider DOs. I have heard some surgery programs will not consider DOs. Anyway sorry about straying from the OP's topic.

Originally posted by mison
Nefertati, this statement is incorrect. DOs can apply to any of the allopathic programs and the AOA has their own programs to which DOs can apply. However I read on SDN that some of the more prestigious programs will not consider DOs. I have heard some surgery programs will not consider DOs. Anyway sorry about straying from the OP's topic.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that they CAN apply to allopathic residencies, but the competition is tougher for them than MD candidates. Last year, I met a student from Touro & she admitted that this is the most difficult issue for her, going into D.O. She loves the program, but very stressed @ applying for residencies.

Originally posted by Nefertari
Also, the tuition @ some Carribean schools, like St. George is significantly less than many of the privates in the U.S. Some of them also participate in amcas. Did anyone apply to these schools this cycle?

This year, I was prejudiced @ applying to them, but now that I've had more time to think @ it, if I couldn't stay in CA, I'd rather study medicine in a tropical climate than have to pay higher tuition and freeze my butt off in New England. I've heard of someone now in residency @ UCSF who did med school @ St. George and it didn't seem to be a problem (the extra board she had to take wasn't too bad).

the general consensus in the international med forum is to go to ANY u.s. school over any foreign school. sgu is apparently the best caribbean school to go to with ross and auc following. i don't know much about any of the schools, but i do know that it is a bit of a pain to come back and practice in the u.s.. i'm currently holding an irish acceptance and would say screw it to these u.s. waitlists if i weren't afriad of facing major discrimination by residency directors when coming back. in order to get a good u.s. residency after going abroad, you will need to do very very well on the boards. in addition, you will probably be shut out of competitive residencies. because california residencies are so hard to get for anyone, being a foreign md will put you at a serious disadvantage for most programs. some residency programs claim to take foreign students but basically trash all applications from any foreign grads. in short, it is totally possible but difficult. you are probably best off if you have some sort of connection into a residency program and if you want to do primary care. it can be done, but it's probably not the best way to go unless you have some compelling reason to go abroad or you have tried in the u.s. a couple of times without any luck. if you don't care about coming back to cali for residency and want to be a GP or something, going the foreign route is not a bad option b/c there are way more residency slots than there are american graduates.

also, and someone correct me if i'm wrong, i believe much of the 3rd/4th year are spent in ny (a cold place!) for one of the caribbean schools. for some of the others you may have a hard time rotating in the u.s. and may have to go to the u.k. or another country.

you take all the regular board exams as well as a clinical skills assessment and the test of english as a foreign language. the toefl is a joke if you are a native english speaker, and apparently the csa is easy to pass if you can communicate and are competent.

you should check out the international forum if you're interested in the caribbean schools. while it may sound nice and tropical, life can be quite harsh i guess at some of the schools -- not sure about sgu.

lola, it's true applying for residencies is a huge challenge from carribean schools. However, it might make sense for us non-traditional apps, who have always had to take the long way around. Going through this past cycle, I felt that the more traditional east coast schools probably don't give us much of a chance. We've been working like crazy to get to this point, in addition to working full-time, and will most likely continue to do that throughout med school. Plus, I would be interested in primary care and also Third World healthcare issues, which many of the Carribean schools emphasize.

The woman from St. George I was referring to earlier was also a non-trad app. She is finishing her surgery residency this year @ UCSF and also had a baby when she started residency. She's a great example that it's possible, even though the odds are significant. The person who told me @ her is her fellow resident. He's so "old school" and conservative @ the app process that I was shocked when he suggested to me that St. George is a viable option.

yeah, the foreign route is totally doable. i just wanted you to be aware that it is not all hunky dory all the time :)

other places to consider are guadelajara & australia if you want warm weather.

okay this is going to be a long one ! i am a cali resident and a reapplicant . heres my info for refernce. 3.4 sci 3.54 overall and 27 mcat.. the first time i applied was the year aamcas had the biggest mess with their online system so i have a feeling my application was really late. but my first application i applied to about 27 schools and many of them were top tier schools. i think that was a really big mistake. however, i interviewed at northwesterna and nymc , to very different schools. .... when i reapplied i really went through my application over and over again and picked my schools very carefully , i think every school has a slant and i think the second time around you should try and pick up on this. for example i never did any sort of bench science research or anything... and my application is centered around social work and community development.. so for me i didnt apply to schools like bu or georgetoen that are more old school and reserach heavy ! the only reason i applied to nymc is that my bro is an alum, but they didnt even give me an interview this year. but on the otherhand i interviewed at 9 schools, michigan state, tufts, u of i , einstein, drew ucla, vermont, albany, tulane, gw ... and have gotten into three so far.. the funny thing is my application did not change . my personal statement was the same , and my mcat the same. however i did focus of changing my secondary answers to update them as well as i sent all the schools an addendum to my ps. but i think above all what did the trick was timing !!!!!!!!!! i sent in amcas during the first week and had a one day turn around for my secondaries ! so iguess in terms of picking the school to reapply , reasses your application to a degree and see how it matches generally with the school .. meaning very generally cause in the end its a big crap shoot.. and very very expensive one too! but hey if anything dont spend too much time on the schools but more on getting in everything asap!!!! anyways hope this helps, if you have a specific ? email me !

it didnt bump !

Finch, Boston U., and George Washington

I have a question about Loma Linda. I know you don't have to be Seventh day adventist to apply, but are most of the applicants overwhelmingly Christian? I'm Muslim, and I actually don't drink or smoke per my religion...which I guess is what LL asks on the app... but I dunno, since I'm not Christian would that be a flag for them? I mean you dont HAVE to attend chapel and stuff right?

calipaww,

Thanks for your feedback! It's reassuring to hear that you didn't change your PS or retake MCAT. I spent so much time on the PS last year that I can't imagine changing it dramatically. The advantage though is that I can at least look @ it again and make some improvements.

Wow--you're amazing to have sent back 2ndaries w/in a day!You're right--my plan would be to whip out those 2ndaries within a few days of receipt. Since I'm a CA resident, last year I prioritized the UC 2ndaries at the expense of the private schools, but this time, I'll have to do them as they come.

Do you mind to share which acceptances you received this year? (if not in public forum, please PM) I really admire your discipline! Congrats on your success this year!

mellantro,

If you're Moslem, then I would think that you would have a slight advantage over apps w/ no religious affiliation at all. I used to be Catholic, but now consider myself an apostate and don't really do any Church-related activities, so it was tough to answer their 2ndary questions last year. (That's why I wouldn't reapply to LL.)

But if you've been involved in many religious activities, then I would say go for it. They do ask for an LOR from a leader in your religious community, so I think not having one is a real disadvantage. You do have to attend chapel once a week, but it's not like you have to convert.

hey nefertari , yeah i have gotten into vermont , mich state and albany, and i am waitlisted at all others .. hope this helps ... and never lose hope !!! another thing that i found that really helped was that during my summer between apps i called up the school and told them i was a reapplicant and that i wanted to know if i should reapply to their school... i dont know .... but those were the magic word cause every school went into my application .. and even one , i called them up and got to talk to the head of admissions, i talked to him and told him my case and he offered me an interview on the spot, just saying to write a not with my secondary... and it actually came through .. i interviewed a month later... so for a reapplicnat i think personal contact is really important ! i think it sets you aside from the rest in a way...oh another note when i talked to each of these schools , i made sure ..either they asked or i asked them to take note of my name ... dont know if it even mattered but hey it cant hurt !

hey calipaww,

You're just the person I was looking for since you were accepted by Vermont and Albany. I'm reapplying & finalizing my school list. I have 21 so far & trying to decide between adding either Vermont or Albany.

Vermont seems to have a nicer "community" feel, the location is fantastic, but getting there seems to be a big hassle, esp. during the winter. I'm thinking @ how difficult it would be for my fiancee & family to visit (from NoCal & Providence, RI) & v.v. Also, tuition is so much more. However, I might have a better chance @ Vermont since they like non-trads.

Albany--from searching the threads, it was hard to get a sense of the school. Transportation there from NYC or Providence doesn't seem to be so bad.

Just wondering what your impressions were of these 2 schools.

If anyone else has opinions, I'd appreciate hearing them also. Thanks so much for all your input on this thread. It's really helped me (& others too, I'm sure) to figure out my school list. :)

Holy old Thread, Elektra!

Well, let me be the first to start off, UPitt for the following reason:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=165068&highlight=UPitt+Post+Rejection

Then, I gotta be honest- The schools that really irritate the crap out of me are the ones who receive your AMCAS application, automatically send the secondary with three essays, and then reject you solely on the basis of your undergrad GPA- Its highway robbery. UVA springs immediately to mind. Anyone else?

LionKing said:
Holy old Thread, Elektra!

Well, let me be the first to start off, UPitt for the following reason:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=165068&highlight=UPitt+Post+Rejection

Then, I gotta be honest- The schools that really irritate the crap out of me are the ones who receive your AMCAS application, automatically send the secondary with three essays, and then reject you solely on the basis of your undergrad GPA- Its highway robbery. UVA springs immediately to mind. Anyone else?

Thanks for the recognition and I'm the queen of old threads :thumbup: but its good topic!