which science class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sinderella

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior psych major who is also pre-pharmacy, and I am trying to decide my fall schedule. Do you guys think it would be better for me to get a minor in chemistry or just take science classes from different science areas as my electives? I am looking for a science elective for the fall and my choices are: Genetics, Biochemistry, Microbiology, or Analytical Chem. Which do you guys think would better prepare me for pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

What I would do is research the schools that you are interested in attending for pharmacy school and see what the prerequisites are. Different schools have different science requirements which usuallly include, low and upper div biology, chem, o chem, pscyhology, microbiology, physics, physiology...some schools require human anatomy, public speaking and interpersonal communication. Anyways, I would research and make sure you take those classes so you'll have them when you apply.

I already have most of my pharmacy pre-reqs completed. I am just looking for some science electives to take that will be a help to me in pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
aren't Genetics, Biochemistry, Microbiology PRE-PHARMACY PRE-REQS?

In my school, genetics and 2 microbio classes are required. Not biochemistry.

Originally posted by ooscubaoo
aren't Genetics, Biochemistry, Microbiology PRE-PHARMACY PRE-REQS?

Many programs don't require any of these classes.

If you're still thinking about attending UF, I would take genetics. Almost every 1st year course draws on genetics in some way. Make sure that you take it with a lab. Doing your own gene splicing helps you learn it better.

Biochem and micro are helpful, but UF makes you take them again anyway.

I am applying to UF and microbio and biochem are not pre-reqs there. Thanks for the advice everyone. Maybe I will go for genetics since I would have to take biochem and microbio again anyways once in pharmacy school.

it's probably because im loooking into california schools and most of them require genetics, biochemistry, and microbiology.

Originally posted by ooscubaoo
it's probably because im loooking into california schools and most of them require genetics, biochemistry, and microbiology.
What California schools require all three of those courses?