TeddyBoomBoom

7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2011
Williamstown, NJ
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Hey all - I'm looking for some advice on which SLOE to leave off my applications, since I can only assign 4 to any one program. Being a DO student, with a pretty average app, from a new school, I really wanted to set myself up for success and so I planned a bunch of auditions. I don't think my board scores are germane to my question, but since everybody always wants stats my scores are 500s/520s and 218/242. No red flags.

I'm not super anonymous on here anyway, so I don't really mind giving specific info.
My SLOE situation:

I have one SLOE already uploaded from a strong ACGME program. It should be a decent SLOE, and it's staying.
SLOE #2 has been written, uploaded, but only assigned to AOA programs right now. It is from an AOA EM residency program. All other SLOEs are ACGME.
SLOE # 3 will likely be uploaded in a month, near the middle of Oct. It's from a solid program *but* it was only a two-week rotation.
SLOE # 4 will be from a rotation I complete next month, but will be an EM-US rotation, not a true EM rotation.
SLOE # 5 will be from another very solid respected academic program, but I don't have that rotation until November.

Obviously, I can't use all 5, but as it stands I only have one uploaded. Which one would I leave off?
#2 - because it's AOA?
#3 - because it's only two weeks?
#4 - because it's an EM-US?
#5 - because the rotation isn't until November?

I see pluses and minuses to each. My gut is to keep #1 and #2, so that I have two in-hand and assigned. And then maybe nix #4 because it's an EM-ultrasound rotation. If #5 comes late, then that shouldn't matter because I will already have two for sure, and likely three, already uploaded by then.

What are your thoughts?

racerwad

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I uploaded a SLOE from an "well known" AOA program and almost none of the ACGME programs recognized anyone from there. I doubt it helped at all. I would not upload the AOA one and the US one.

About the Ads

GandalfTheWhite

Chillin in Isengard
7+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2011
Middle Earth
Status
Non-Student
I think the two weeker would be less substantial given the limited amount of meaningful contact and corrective feedback that can be provided.

alpinism

Give Em' the Jet Fuel
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2011
Port Au Prince
US rotation letters aren't really true SLOEs and will definitely be viewed less than a regular EM rotation by some programs.

Personally I'd use either the 4 wk AOA or 2 wk ACGME rotation and pick the one you think is the strongest.

OP
TeddyBoomBoom

TeddyBoomBoom

7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2011
Williamstown, NJ
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for the opinions. The more I think about it, I think I may just upload them as they come. The November rotation wouldn't give a SLOE until mid Dec. at earliest, which seems wayyy too late to effect interview invites, especially when I already have multiple letters uploaded.

Reactions: racerwad and sb247

Jlaw

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I applied a couple years back so this may have changed but at the time US rotations did not really count as an EM audition and didn't give SLOE's.

I recommend using 1&2 because they are available now and a lot of ACGME programs won't give you an interview without 2 SLOE's. An AOA letter isn't ideal but not a deal breaker, I had similar scores and had one ACGME and one AOA SLOE and got plenty of interviews. Keep a letter slot open and upload#3 when available, its going to be late but might sway a few places to offer you an interview in the second round. Forget the November rotation, way too late for a SLOE, you should get a rotator interview at the program tho.

About the Ads