Which state does not charge for step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staphaureus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
trying to avoid that hefty fee

Members don't see this ad.

Step 3 isn't a state fee. I'm confused.....
For step 3 you have to apply through a state medical license board. There are different prices charged for some states and some states have extra requirements. It does seem like a state fee at least to me. I believe all states charge over $700+, no way around it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a state fee. It's exactly like Step 1 and 2. Fees are charged by the NBME or NBOME (DO).

For step 3 you have to apply through a state medical license board. There are different prices charged for some states and some states have extra requirements. It does seem like a state fee at least to me. I believe all states charge over $700+, no way around it.

Actually, for USMLE step 3, you apply through FSMB or your state medical board. From the FSMB web site:

The fee for the 2010 Step 3 is $705 for all state medical boards with the exception of those boards listed below.

Iowa $755
South Dakota $855
Vermont $740

Actually, for USMLE step 3, you apply through FSMB or your state medical board. From the FSMB web site:

you can apply through any state medical board as long as you complete/qualify with their requirements!!

I did say "or your state medical board". I didn't know you could apply through, say, Pennsylvania's board if you're doing residency in Michigan. Interesting.