-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Which state will give optometrists mucho dinero?
Started by Mucho Dinero
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much in Alaska Starting ?
I wouldn't get too excited about Alaska. Oversupply has reached the 49th state as well. Unless you're in Anchorage you'll probably be working for the IHS. You'll get good (great?) benefits but with the high cost of living your pay might not stretch as far as you'd like. You have the potential to get student loan repayment though. You'd really have to weigh the opportunity to determine if the pay/benefits/loan payback/lifestyle works for you.
Quick story. I spent some time in rural Alaska as an optometrist. (A very short time so I'm no expert - perhaps an expert can weigh in as well). I would do village travel - spend a few days in a remote village see patients then move on to the next.
These villages are only accessible by air (one required landing on the frozen ocean...)
I was working with the local IHS. There were two private organizations/practices that would also visit these remote villages and their 100 or so inhabitants. So these people would have access to eye care on average 2 to 3 times/year.
Absolutely crazy.
I wouldn't get too excited about Alaska. Oversupply has reached the 49th state as well. You'll get good (great?) benefits but with the high cost of living your pay might not stretch as far as you'd like.
too excited?
high cost of living compared to what?
your pay? how much is tis pay
vague
too excited?
high cost of living compared to what?
your pay? how much is tis pay
vague
Are you really asking me to tell me how much money you'll be offered for a completely fictional job? I don't know what commercial/private practices pay in Anchorage. IHS jobs have no salary listed for Alaska openings but in the rest of the country they start at $50,000 and go to $100,000 plus benefits. You will not start at $100,000 no matter where you live.
Have you ever been to rural Alaska? Food costs are crazy. Rent is also super expensive - not much housing available.
I'm not going to tell you how much I was paid. I was paid more than most would be as I was acting as an independent contractor NOT an employee and was paid overtime (and worked many 15 hour days) on top of a production bonus.
My point - don't expect to make "mucho dinero" just because you're working in Alaska.
Canada....wait, Canada is not a US State......yet....😉
What the hell is this supposed to mean ?
Are you really asking me to tell me how much money you'll be offered for a completely fictional job? I don't know what commercial/private practices pay in Anchorage. IHS jobs have no salary listed for Alaska openings but in the rest of the country they start at $50,000 and go to $100,000 plus benefits. You will not start at $100,000 no matter where you live.
Have you ever been to rural Alaska? Food costs are crazy. Rent is also super expensive - not much housing available.
I'm not going to tell you how much I was paid. I was paid more than most would be as I was acting as an independent contractor NOT an employee and was paid overtime (and worked many 15 hour days) on top of a production bonus.
My point - don't expect to make "mucho dinero" just because you're working in Alaska.
What about those students who talk about Alaska clinics providing housing and paying over 200K? I'm guessing that must have been some lies by the students.
What about those students who talk about Alaska clinics providing housing and paying over 200K?
I've never heard this. If it were true I'd be there in a heartbeat!
What the hell is this supposed to mean ?
I agree! What the hell?? LOL. Seriously though...
Canada....wait, Canada is not a US State......yet....😉
Yeah, and thank almighty Evolution for that.
If you want mucho dinero then optometry is not the answer!
I know senior, I know! I remember seeing this one girl optometrist who loved trying to speak spanish, and when she said the word "dinero", she giggled like a little school girl! She's the one that told me optometry is the best way to make dinero in this day and age. Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
north carolina. well at least they give students alot of money for attending optometry school. i do hear they make quite alot back home.
how does NC give students a lot of money for attending? grants?
Which state has the most dinero for ODs?
A private practice in a state that is rural. You will be the sole eye physician so you get all the cases, medical to refractive.
Similar threads
K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 8K
K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 198
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 203