which study technique to use for step 1 usmle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lovemph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hey you biggest mistake is that you are an img travelling to usa without any step1 or without completing you all steps many like you say that they can work and study some gave great score and other failed and really failed my advice is stop everything and start step1 studying good luck

I don't think it's a good idea to quit your job and I wouldn't do it if I were you.
However, you have to weight the pros and cons of continuing. Obviouslly you could get publications and LoRs but it will take you longer to finish with the Steps. And do you really think that without a strong foundation you can be done with it in 6 weeks and get >240?
It is a difficult decision and you are the one who has to be happy with it, when you look back.
Good luck and let me know what you decided :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you already annotated FA, maybe 4 weeks of very intensive study could work.
But if you say there are many things you don't understand in FA&/or it's not annotated, you could benefit from a more extensive prep-> after you annotated FA and understand everything-> take those 4 weeks off and have a intensive study period.
If you want to apply for residency next year, your job and Steps prep are not really compatible.
If you want to postpone your residency application till 2014, then you could do them both.
It's up to you to decide, no one can/should tell you 'do this or that'. Stay true to your learning style and what worked for you in the past.
Also read the post with other people's Step 1 experiences for alternatives in your prep.
What else did your advisor say?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I don't. I know people who failed it because they went into this kind of unrealistic 4week plan. I read on this forum about a guy/girl doing research at Harvard in Radiology who got around 206 in Step 1 and was desperate (despite multiple articles and a chapter published in a book of Radiology). A friend of mine who's an IMG studied for 5months and got a 211.
I think most people who post these IMG 4/6/8 week plans are scammers who try to fool other people that it's doable. This way, they kinda kill the competition.
I know they make fun of Phloston cause he took so long to prepare, but I think he was just being honest about his prep time. He's an IMG and most IMGs just don't have the foundation for this exam.
What are you UW percentiles for your weakest subjects?