Which Sub-I for derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't have any honors during rotations (straight HPs) and we are P/F preclinical years so I was wondering if grabbing some honors in 4th year before the derm app be worthwhile.

How important is doing a sub-I in time for applications? Derm is an elective, not a sub-I, at our school so it does not count. Sub-Is are in a variety of fields (general medicine, cards, ICU, various surgery specialties, etc...)

-Would doing a sub-I (most of them are essentially are a free Honors since there's no limit) say before October 1st (application deadline for derm) be worthwhile? (i.e.- would a 4th year medicine sub-I H compensate my 3rd year HP in medicine?...do derm programs really look much into this?)

-If so, which sub-I do you recommend?...General medicine/surgery sub-Is are pretty demanding...do programs really care i.e.- if I did a peds cardiovascular sub-I...or should the sub-I be intended to offset a 3rd year clerkship grade?

Just planning ahead in the midst of derm aways and 4th year classes...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sub-I is not important. Make it a priority to do your home derm rotation and away rotations to obtain LORs and connections before application time.

Programs don't really care which specialty your sub-I is in. Choose something that works well with your interview/study schedule and something that interests you. E.g. I would prefer a surgery sub-I over medicine because I hate the endless rounding and social issues in medicine...but that's me. You may get to see some rashes in primary care or emergency medicine, but you will also have to deal with other diseases.

I think the only time I was asked about my plan for Sub-I was during a prelim medicine interview at one of the sites associated with our school: "are you planning to do your sub-I here?". So I wouldn't over think it :)

Sub-I is not important. Make it a priority to do your home derm rotation and away rotations to obtain LORs and connections before application time.

Programs don't really care which specialty your sub-I is in. Choose something that works well with your interview/study schedule and something that interests you. E.g. I would prefer a surgery sub-I over medicine because I hate the endless rounding and social issues in medicine...but that's me. You may get to see some rashes in primary care or emergency medicine, but you will also have to deal with other diseases.

I think the only time I was asked about my plan for Sub-I was during a prelim medicine interview at one of the sites associated with our school: "are you planning to do your sub-I here?". So I wouldn't over think it :)

Gotcha! So 4th year honors grades...sorta worthless?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's worth way less than what you get out of a derm rotation. None of my fourth year grades was even posted by the time of ERAS submission.

It's worth way less than what you get out of a derm rotation. None of my fourth year grades was even posted by the time of ERAS submission.

Oh ok...I mean I'll have the 2 aways and home derm done (I'm starting way early...like in April, the 2nd away I plan on doing it late like october or november- program guarantees rotators interviewers/don't plan on getting a letter)...hence I was wondering in this circumstance if sneaking the sub-i would be nice...my alternative plan was just to CHILL and take rest months in between rotations since my 4th year is actually pretty light

Oh ok...I mean I'll have the 2 aways and home derm done (I'm starting way early...like in April, the 2nd away I plan on doing it late like october or november- program guarantees rotators interviewers/don't plan on getting a letter)...hence I was wondering in this circumstance if sneaking the sub-i would be nice...my alternative plan was just to CHILL and take rest months in between rotations since my 4th year is actually pretty light

Doesn't you school require a Sub-I? (I thought all schools did). I'd say do a medicine Sub-I if you have the time. There are many derm programs that want a strong rec letter from a academic, non-dermatologist. Medicine Sub-I is perfect place to get this sort of letter because you're essentially acting at the level of an intern and it's much easier for them to write positive, specific things about your clinical skills when you have real responsibility on a team (it isn't like during a third-year core rotation). Also, a great letter to use for your prelim year programs (which will most likely be in medicine or transitional...which is essentially just medicine).

Sub-I's are a lot of work, but I honestly had a ton of fun on my medicine Sub-I. Medicine is way more fun when you have real responsibilities.

Doesn't you school require a Sub-I? (I thought all schools did). I'd say do a medicine Sub-I if you have the time. There are many derm programs that want a strong rec letter from a academic, non-dermatologist. Medicine Sub-I is perfect place to get this sort of letter because you're essentially acting at the level of an intern and it's much easier for them to write positive, specific things about your clinical skills when you have real responsibility on a team (it isn't like during a third-year core rotation). Also, a great letter to use for your prelim year programs (which will most likely be in medicine or transitional...which is essentially just medicine).

Sub-I's are a lot of work, but I honestly had a ton of fun on my medicine Sub-I. Medicine is way more fun when you have real responsibilities.
Yeah school requires "a sub-I"...I have a non-derm attending (heme-onc) to write a letter who I'm doing research in this year off and spend time seeing patients in clinic so I wouldn't use the sub-I for a letter in this case

Yeah school requires "a sub-I"...I have a non-derm attending (heme-onc) to write a letter who I'm doing research in this year off and spend time seeing patients in clinic so I wouldn't use the sub-I for a letter in this case

You can still use the Sub-I letter for your prelim programs (even if you don't send it to derm programs). This is exactly what I did. A lot of prelim programs commented on that letter during interviews.

You can still use the Sub-I letter for your prelim programs (even if you don't send it to derm programs). This is exactly what I did. A lot of prelim programs commented on that letter during interviews.
Did the same thing. I got stuck with my Sub-I as my first rotation of 4th year (hence, had to delay my derm electives), but at least got a good letter for prelim out of it. One of my classmates who matched derm did an emergency med sub-I, at the end of the year, so I don't think Sub-I matters much.