Which to choose??!!!

Started by Els9547
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Els9547

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, so I have to make a choice academically and I am looking for some advice!!! I can do one of two things, and I am wondering what will look better come application time!

I will be finishing up my undergrad degree in May of next year. I just discovered that I am able to double major, in Biology and Marine Biology, as well as minor in Chemistry. In order to do that I will have to take a few classes this summer, nothing major just finishing up the required english credits that some vet schools require. This means that I will not be able to work on my veterinary hours during the summer, maybe one day a week at most. I have about 600-700 hours already and a TON of animal and volunteer experience, but I am wondering which would present a stronger application.

Will it be more impressive to have fewer hours but a double major and a minor? Or should I work more toward the hours and just get one degree? Also, is it going to matter that I got most of the hours very early (freshman and sophmore undergrad) and got fewer hours later on or are hours simply hours? I have gotten mixed advice on the subject, some say go for the academics and others say most schools want to see real world experience. What do you guys think?? Currently I have a GPA in the 3.5-3.7 range and adding the extra classes won't overload my schedule very much at all.

Thanks for reading! Any and all advice is appreciated!!!
 
I don't think the double major will do much to improve your application, though it might look interesting and provide a bit more grounds for an intended area of specialty. Then again, 600-700 vet hours is pretty good. So, I think the real question here is... which one do YOU want? I don't think either one will hurt you as long as you do well. Just remember that adcoms are looking for variety in experience, so if all your hours are at a SA clinic you might seek some LA hours too, etc.

I'm not sure if not having recent hours will look bad. I think you could squeeze by if you explain it well, or if you can get at least a few over the summer.
 
This is probably less than helpful, but I think it's six in one half dozen in the other. I would just go with whichever is more fun for you. I don't necessarily think a double major will give you a big edge, but it couldn't hurt. I personally would go with more work experience, just because I like it better than more courses.

Also, is it going to matter that I got most of the hours very early (freshman and sophmore undergrad) and got fewer hours later on or are hours simply hours?

I think the point of the hours is to make sure you have a general understanding of veterinary medicine and what you're getting yourself into. I don't think that it's a good idea to get all your experience 10 years before applying and then not doing anything vet- or animal-related since, but I doubt 1-2 years will make much of a difference.
 
I think the double major (and the chance to pull up your GPA even higher w/ good grades this summer) is definitely the winner over a few extra hours. You have a decent amount of hours already and it's not like you were going to be doing anything different like zoo med or farm animal.