Which to do First...Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pegasus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know this has been asked before, but I have to make a decision soon.

If I do EM 3 years and a Peds fellowship, how long total? AND I will ony be able to do Adult EM and Peds EM right?

If I do Peds then EM fellowship, is it 6 years total and I can do Peds General, Adult EM or Peds EM?

Please help me clarify this. I cannot decide between the two, and I had to take a month off in 3rd year, so I will have to continue 3rd year until August, then take Step II in August, putting my FIRST 4th year rotation in Sept, and that needs to be what I am going into so I can get a LOR.

I need some advice please!!

Thanks
Pegasus

Members don't see this ad.

If I do EM 3 years and a Peds fellowship, how long total? AND I will ony be able to do Adult EM and Peds EM right?

A Peds EM fellowship after an EM Residency is a 2 year program, so you'd be looking at 5 years total. This would allow you to do General EM and Peds EM.

If I do Peds then EM fellowship, is it 6 years total and I can do Peds General, Adult EM or Peds EM?

A Peds EM fellowship after a Peds Residency is a 3 year program for 6 years. After completion you can only do General Peds or Peds EM. Most of those who choose this route end up working in a Children's hospital ED somewhere.

If you want to do Peds EM, I'd suggest the EM- Peds EM fellowship route, 1 year shorter and more flexible....

EMRaiden

here's my take on things...

your plans may change, so figure out which initial training period is better for you. That is, what do you like more: EM or peds? Which allows more flexibility in career options that interest you?

EM will allow you to do EM, or peds EM, etc. as a career.

Peds will allow you to do general peds, or any of the various peds subspecialties (cardio, GI, etc), or peds EM, afterward.

p.s. some EM programs are 4 years in duration; an EM attending once told me that these tend to be the "better" programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
p.s. some EM programs are 4 years in duration; an EM attending once told me that these tend to be the "better" programs.

Oh.... now you've done it...

I would have to disagree with this statement since I am 33 shifts from finishing a 3 year program. I think that you could point to many VERY strong 3 year programs and some very weak 4 year programs (and vice versa). The 3 v. 4 debate has ranged long and hard in this forum and I would encourage you to research old posts.

My 2 pesos...

Originally posted by md_student10021
...p.s. some EM programs are 4 years in duration; an EM attending once told me that these tend to be the "better" programs.

Ha, ha, ha. You should probably watch who you get your advice from concerning 3 vs 4 year EM residencies. Most attendings that work at the 4 year programs, and some that graduated from them highly recommend the 4 years. And the same may be said for 3 year programs. The RRC highly scutinizes every program, thus residents are trained great at all of them. During my interivews this year, it was difficult to find a resident from 4 year programs who actually felt that fourth year was necessary. Many of the "top" programs in EM are 3 years, so don?t get caught up in the numbers.

Ever consider the possibility of doing the combined EM/Peds residency? Only four years, get double-boarded.

Originally posted by PimplePopperMD
Ever consider the possibility of doing the combined EM/Peds residency? Only four years, get double-boarded.

I'm pretty certain the only accredited EM/peds residencies are a total of 5 years including the intern year.

Thank you, boy wonder. I stand corrected, indeed. It is a five year program.

My apologies.

I have considered applying to the 2 EM/Peds programs. I just wonder how competitive they are? I dont mind going an extra year though in order to not limit myself. I am coming to the conclusion that I will have to wait till my EM rotaion in the fall in order to be sure though.

Thanks
Pegasus

Just a thought, since you indicated that you're unsure about EM. As you won't be able to do a rotation in EM until the fall, why not try to shadow/hang out/do a few shifts in the ED during the next few months. If you explain the situation to the PD or student director of your school's EM program, I would almost guarantee that they'd be willing to arrange something with you. It may be difficult to do during your other rotations, but well worth it if it helps you decide before ERAS is due. Just my 2 cents! :D

Scrubs,
YOur right, I have Psyc next and I have mentioned to some of the attendings in the ED that I would be interested in shadowing them maybe on the weekends for a few weeks. They seemed pretty open to the idea, but I may wait until Psyc begins in order to work it out.

Thanks for the advice.

Pegasus