which upper level lab courses should I take for pharmacy?

Started by Eraser1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Eraser1

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the upper level pharmacy prereqs for the school I am applying to, many of the labs aren't needed just the lectures. Is that how it is for you guys also? The main upper level lecture courses needed are Cell Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, and Biochemistry. I was thinking of doing labs for all except genetics because I don't think that's important. Also should I take cell bio at the same time as orgo 1 and genetics? I heard genetics is easier than cell bio. Then there's the chemistry electives I'm not sure which to take...clinical, physical etc.
 
Isn't cell bio an entry level class? At my school even non-science majors were taking it as a gen-ed lol

I'd focus on organic and biochem... pchem is fairly difficult if you aren't good at math
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cell Bio is an upper level science class (3000 level) at my school (you needed Biology 1 and 2 for majors and Chem 1 for majors).
Genetics is way easier than Cell Bio in my opinion. I took a Genetics and Microbiology lab and I enjoyed them. I learned a lot (though I'm not sure how much from my Genetics lab is pharmacy applicable 😛). The schools I applied to did not need Cell Bio or Genetics labs (or Biochem for that matter).
As far as chemistry electives, I don't know. Chemistry is not my forte, I really like biology 😛