Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Which vet to ask for LOR

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by clawsbeatskin, Apr 29, 2007.

1. clawsbeatskin

Veterinary Student
    I have been working at a well known non-profit spay/neuter clinic, and would like to request a letter from one of the vets.

I have been told that volunteers usually receive a letter from the head Vet A who is the owner/founder of the entire clinic. This recommendation would be based on the evaluation made by the vets and employees with whom you have worked. I have never worked with Vet A, and have only met her once in passing. I have, however, worked with Vet B 90% of the time and share a great rapport. Obviously, Vet B knows me far better than Vet A.

Vet A is well known and respected, and I think would have more influence. Vet B is only 2 years out of vet school, but has seen me in action (surgery, under stress, asking questions, etc.)

Which would you choose?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KittenKiller

KittenKiller chop suey

Veterinary Student
    Vet B for sure! A personal recommendation is 1000x better than a name. Plenty of big name people give canned recommendations out like candy, and Im sure admission officers know this. But a personal, enthusiastic recommendation from someone who knows you well and wholeheartedly supports your efforts will stand out.

4. RazorDoc2010

RazorDoc2010 Mizzou 2011

Veterinary Student
    Door #2!!! Seriously...the rec from Vet B will probably be much better since he/she knows you much better. And don't worry about it being from a new grad...one of my letters was written by a grad that was 1 year out (and I only worked with him for 3 months) and I asked him over a vet I had worked with for about 2 years. But I was much more comfortable with him writing a rec than the other vet.

And now that I've read KittenKiller's reply...I 10,000% agree with her.

5. pressmom

pressmom Third year!

Veterinary Student
    I would ask for a rec from both. That's what I did. The most junior vet in the clinic knew me best (she was the one I originally shadowed before I got hired) so I asked for one from her. But the head of the clinic had a VERY GOOD track record of getting people into vet school. (I probably knew him better than you know vet A though.) So I just asked both. And I got into 3 schools.

6. bakaduin

bakaduin UF CVM Class of 2012

Pre-Veterinary
    I would say both but if you only want one then I agree Vet B.

7. Emio

Emio Fudge Bane

Veterinarian
    but vet A is just going to ask vet B for info for the letter, no? why not get the name and vet B's positive reflection on you?

8. Quaggi

Quaggi Member

Veterinary Student
    you can also ask for a committee letter, I did this for one of the hospitals I worked at. That way, basically like Emio is saying, the person who knows you well actually writes it, but the more well-known person can also sign it.

9. clawsbeatskin

Veterinary Student
    Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of the committee letter, good plan.