Which vet to ask for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

clawsbeatskin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been working at a well known non-profit spay/neuter clinic, and would like to request a letter from one of the vets.

I have been told that volunteers usually receive a letter from the head Vet A who is the owner/founder of the entire clinic. This recommendation would be based on the evaluation made by the vets and employees with whom you have worked. I have never worked with Vet A, and have only met her once in passing. I have, however, worked with Vet B 90% of the time and share a great rapport. Obviously, Vet B knows me far better than Vet A.

Vet A is well known and respected, and I think would have more influence. Vet B is only 2 years out of vet school, but has seen me in action (surgery, under stress, asking questions, etc.)

Which would you choose?
 
I have been working at a well known non-profit spay/neuter clinic, and would like to request a letter from one of the vets.

I have been told that volunteers usually receive a letter from the head Vet A who is the owner/founder of the entire clinic. This recommendation would be based on the evaluation made by the vets and employees with whom you have worked. I have never worked with Vet A, and have only met her once in passing. I have, however, worked with Vet B 90% of the time and share a great rapport. Obviously, Vet B knows me far better than Vet A.

Vet A is well known and respected, and I think would have more influence. Vet B is only 2 years out of vet school, but has seen me in action (surgery, under stress, asking questions, etc.)

Which would you choose?

Vet B for sure! A personal recommendation is 1000x better than a name. Plenty of big name people give canned recommendations out like candy, and Im sure admission officers know this. But a personal, enthusiastic recommendation from someone who knows you well and wholeheartedly supports your efforts will stand out.
 
Door #2!!! Seriously...the rec from Vet B will probably be much better since he/she knows you much better. And don't worry about it being from a new grad...one of my letters was written by a grad that was 1 year out (and I only worked with him for 3 months) and I asked him over a vet I had worked with for about 2 years. But I was much more comfortable with him writing a rec than the other vet.

And now that I've read KittenKiller's reply...I 10,000% agree with her.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would ask for a rec from both. That's what I did. The most junior vet in the clinic knew me best (she was the one I originally shadowed before I got hired) so I asked for one from her. But the head of the clinic had a VERY GOOD track record of getting people into vet school. (I probably knew him better than you know vet A though.) So I just asked both. And I got into 3 schools.
 
but vet A is just going to ask vet B for info for the letter, no? why not get the name and vet B's positive reflection on you?
 
you can also ask for a committee letter, I did this for one of the hospitals I worked at. That way, basically like Emio is saying, the person who knows you well actually writes it, but the more well-known person can also sign it.