Which vet to ask for LOR

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by clawsbeatskin, Apr 29, 2007.

1. clawsbeatskin

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I have been working at a well known non-profit spay/neuter clinic, and would like to request a letter from one of the vets.

I have been told that volunteers usually receive a letter from the head Vet A who is the owner/founder of the entire clinic. This recommendation would be based on the evaluation made by the vets and employees with whom you have worked. I have never worked with Vet A, and have only met her once in passing. I have, however, worked with Vet B 90% of the time and share a great rapport. Obviously, Vet B knows me far better than Vet A.

Vet A is well known and respected, and I think would have more influence. Vet B is only 2 years out of vet school, but has seen me in action (surgery, under stress, asking questions, etc.)

Which would you choose?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KittenKiller

KittenKiller chop suey
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Vet B for sure! A personal recommendation is 1000x better than a name. Plenty of big name people give canned recommendations out like candy, and Im sure admission officers know this. But a personal, enthusiastic recommendation from someone who knows you well and wholeheartedly supports your efforts will stand out.

4. RazorDoc2010

RazorDoc2010 Mizzou 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Door #2!!! Seriously...the rec from Vet B will probably be much better since he/she knows you much better. And don't worry about it being from a new grad...one of my letters was written by a grad that was 1 year out (and I only worked with him for 3 months) and I asked him over a vet I had worked with for about 2 years. But I was much more comfortable with him writing a rec than the other vet.

And now that I've read KittenKiller's reply...I 10,000% agree with her.

5. pressmom

pressmom Third year!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I would ask for a rec from both. That's what I did. The most junior vet in the clinic knew me best (she was the one I originally shadowed before I got hired) so I asked for one from her. But the head of the clinic had a VERY GOOD track record of getting people into vet school. (I probably knew him better than you know vet A though.) So I just asked both. And I got into 3 schools.

6. bakaduin

bakaduin UF CVM Class of 2012
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I would say both but if you only want one then I agree Vet B.

7. Emio

Emio Fudge Bane
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    but vet A is just going to ask vet B for info for the letter, no? why not get the name and vet B's positive reflection on you?

8. Quaggi

Quaggi Member
    10+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    you can also ask for a committee letter, I did this for one of the hospitals I worked at. That way, basically like Emio is saying, the person who knows you well actually writes it, but the more well-known person can also sign it.

9. clawsbeatskin

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of the committee letter, good plan.