Which volunteering opportunity would be better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDre2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So... I want to get some clinical experience this semester (I have none so far). My plan is to try it out for the number of hours the hospitals requires for volunteers; if I like it, I'd definitely continue for as long as my schedule allows. I have two options:
  • Hospital A is smaller, about a 5-min walk from my house / campus, and is a little more flexible with its "minimum duration" requirement.
  • Hospital B is very large, a 20-min bus ride away, and stricter with its requirements (as in, more hours required).
However, Hospital A serves adults, while Hospital B is a children's hospital (the closest one in the area), and I'm 99.9% sure that I want to go into pediatrics (not 100% only because I've never really been exposed to adult medicine).

I'm fine with volunteering at a hospital just for the chance to serve patients and do something in a hospital environment. But the 2nd purpose of clinical volunteering is to see if you'd be able to handle a hospital environment and work with sick people. I feel like seeing and interacting with sick infants, children, and adolescents is very different from doing the same with adults and the elderly.

So would Hospital A be good for me in any way if it's not in my field of interest? Or do you think the inconvenience is worth volunteering at Hospital B?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You've never been exposed to adult medicine. This seems like the perfect opportunity to be exposed to it. And if you hate it, since it is more flexible with its minimum duration, switch.

Which environment do you like more? Which hospital is more highly regarded in your area? Not really sure what to say without knowing which hospitals you'e talking about, but go with what you would be more likely to enjoy (even if it's peds again).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! So... I want to get some clinical experience this semester (I have none so far). My plan is to try it out for the number of hours the hospitals requires for volunteers; if I like it, I'd definitely continue for as long as my schedule allows. I have two options:
  • Hospital A is smaller, about a 5-min walk from my house / campus, and is a little more flexible with its "minimum duration" requirement.
  • Hospital B is very large, a 20-min bus ride away, and stricter with its requirements (as in, more hours required).
However, Hospital A serves adults, while Hospital B is a children's hospital (the closest one in the area), and I'm 99.9% sure that I want to go into pediatrics (not 100% only because I've never really been exposed to adult medicine).

I'm fine with volunteering at a hospital just for the chance to serve patients and do something in a hospital environment. But the 2nd purpose of clinical volunteering is to see if you'd be able to handle a hospital environment and work with sick people. I feel like seeing and interacting with sick infants, children, and adolescents is very different from doing the same with adults and the elderly.

So would Hospital A be good for me in any way if it's not in my field of interest? Or do you think the inconvenience is worth volunteering at Hospital B?

Thanks!

You'll have plenty of time to explore your interests in pediatrics in medical school and when applying to residency. But you have to get into medical school first, and right now, it seems that Hospital A is much more convenient for you.

I'd go with Hospital A. More convenient, and you will see adults.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. And @oopsaloo I've never been in Hospital A, but Hospital B is kind of... world-famous, lol.

I would do A. I don't think anyone will care how famous the hospital is, but it will give you the exposure to adults in medicine which may change your perceived career trajectory.

That extra 30 minutes of travel time for a round trip to the children's hospital is a big downside. You can do so much more the an extra 30 minutes/week. Also, while kids are great and you might make pediatrics your career, you are going to spend an enormous amount of at least 3 years learning about adults' anatomy and physiology, examining adults, obtaining histories from adults, etc. Make sure you are onboard with that before you get much further in your training. You might find that you like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Go with A! You are lucky that you even have an option to volunteer at a hospital so close to home!
You will find children in that adult hospital also! You can do Reach Out and Read program with them.