Which waitlist to go for (Wash U or U of M), if any?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mippetace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So despite rocking the MCAT and having decent activities and GPA, I got waitlisted at both my (at the time) top choices: U of M and Wash U. U of M was the only interview I had that felt "meh", and I submitted the Wash U one pretty late (end of December, I think...pretty close to the deadline).

After getting an interview offer a day before they gave me a secondary:confused:, I thought U of M was pretty keen on me, but then I got deferred to a December decision (interviewed 11/3), and because they got behind schedule, got moved to a March decision :eek:. That resulted in a middle tier waitlist, which they describe as having "historically limited activity". There are 150 people in each of the 3 tiers, and they took 61, 45, 0, and 16 people off the list from 2003-2006, respectively.

I did my Wash U interview on the 2nd-to-last day, I think (2/23), and got what I thought was an encouraging letter but I guess it's their standard waitlist letter:confused:. It says that they anticipate giving out 50 spots from the wait list.

So anyway, my question is which one should I send a letter of intent to? Is there more information I could get from either school to help me figure out where I have a better chance? U of M was the only school that gave me a "gut feeling", but I think I'd take either one over my acceptances, so I want to go with one I'd have more of a chance of actually getting into. Is there any way to do something like a letter of intent for both schools? [Note: I'm an OH resident]

Members don't see this ad.

:luck:

Hmm...I have a friend who has had a VERY similar experience and is currently on the waitlists at both U of M and Wash U, along with a couple of other top 10-20s. Based on what he said, it seems U of M basically takes no out of state candidates off their waitlist. If you are out of state, I would say go for Wash U. Actually, even if you aren't out of state because Michigan said they don't have a lot of movement from the middle tier, so it seems highly unlikely. Anyway of figuring out where you are on the Wash U waitlist?

Good luck to you!!!

I heard that WashU overaccepted by 60 people. Maybe that would translate to less off the waitlist?