Which weighs more? Grad or undergrad?

Started by JCVet99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JCVet99

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I had a question about what looks better when applying. I currently have a 3.2 gpa and did not know if I should continue to pursue an application to vet school by trying to raise my undergrad gpa or starting grad school in the fall and beefing that up? Any suggestions...?
Secondly, I was wondering how the process works for applying to Ohio State after you have submitted everything on VMCAS by Oct. 2nd? THanks!
 
Hey, I really can't answer your first question as I'm not really sure, but once you submit your VMCAS application you will receive an invitation to fill out a secondary application if you make a certain cutoff. After that in late November they start notifying you about interviews about a week ahead of time. I thought OSU was extremely timely in informing applicants about whether or not they had received application materials.
 
We've talked about this before on this board, and undergrad GPA counts for a lot more. However, going back to raise your GPA might not be such a good idea, because it will be pretty obvious that you're doing it for that reason if you go back for a 5th year. They want to see that you're challenging yourself and moving ahead, not trying to "play the game" (at least not so openly). I think most people, if they don't get in or are not competitive, move onto grad school or get more experience.
 
We've talked about this before on this board, and undergrad GPA counts for a lot more. However, going back to raise your GPA might not be such a good idea, because it will be pretty obvious that you're doing it for that reason if you go back for a 5th year. They want to see that you're challenging yourself and moving ahead, not trying to "play the game" (at least not so openly). I think most people, if they don't get in or are not competitive, move onto grad school or get more experience.

A lot of schools have courses that are cross listed as grad/undergrad. Usually you just do a little more and have to get a better grade for grad. If you graduate, and say you wanted to take xyz class as undergrad credit, you can't and you have to pay more, eventhough it's basically the same course.

If you do another year in undergrad, I'd take upper level classes. I think it's ok to not just to graduate so long as you are still really challenging yourself. Point being, if you take that path, you might not want to graduate officially or at least look into your school's policy about it.