Which would you do and why?

Started by stapes
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stapes

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interested in anesthesia, I have completed 2 years of general surgery prelim, current options while trying to get into anesthesia:

1. Burn fellowship
2. Surgical assistant, possible anes research on the side (nonpaid)

I am more interested in the sa, because more money and no call, which would leave more time for unpaid research, but I am not sure if it would look bad on my resume.
 
Doc in the box or prison medicine is a 3rd choice. If you're serious about anesthesia, contact every anesthesia PD about the possibility of an outside thhe matchh spot. It will be virtually impossible to find one for this July, but you could luck out. It will also put you in line for one in 2009.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Doc in the box or prison medicine is a 3rd choice. If you're serious about anesthesia, contact every anesthesia PD about the possibility of an outside thhe matchh spot. It will be virtually impossible to find one for this July, but you could luck out. It will also put you in line for one in 2009.

Of course I am actively looking for an out of match spot, but I am trying to think about a plan B...if it does not happen.
 
I have to agree with the doc-in-the-box suggestion... Another theme would be rural ED coverage. I think I'd be hard pressed to spend a year making peanuts as an SA when I am capable and qualified (as you should be having completed two years of GS) to moonlight in urgentcares or rural EDs for literally thousands of dollars/day in some cases...