Which would you prefer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time choosing between two pharmacy schools and I want to make a final decision by the end of this week.

I don't really have any concerns over the price of the schools because I did a lot of research and calculations. I figured even though the tuition would be lower for one school the overall cost of living/transportation in my current situation would practically make the overall cost of attending both schools even.

So now I'm just trying to figure out if I want to attend a school that is located on campus at a university or a satellite campus. Each one has its pros and cons.

Satellite- Pros- Better reputation, mandatory attendance is only 3 days a week.
Cons- I REALLY don't like the location as far as the community, commuting to school, mostly online classes, restrictions as far as not being a main campus. School is more competitive to get into so there might be a lot of curve killers in my class :/

University- Pros- everything associated with living on campus: i.e. no commute, on campus dining, libraries, and gyms, Also, going to a university actually gives me a chance to go to office hours to speak with a professor rather then by email. And, I REALLY like the area.

Cons- not as good as a reputation. There is a mandatory attendance policy for 5 days a week and I don't know if I can handle that for another four years but I figure it won't be as bad if I live on campus anyway.

....Anyway what do you guys think I am leaning towards the univeristy because I like the area better and thats where I will be spending the next four years of my life. However, I hope I am not selling myself short by not going to the school that has a better reputation.

Members don't see this ad.

what is the name of the schools you plan on applying to?

A satellite campus has more reputation than the main campus?

I'd choose the main campus. I hate online courses...being in class and able to talk with the professors would be a big benefit for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Satellite Campus School= University of Florida

Main Campus School= Nova Southeastern University

Yes UF has a better reputation based on the fact that the school is more competitve admissions wise and is also one of the best ranked pharm schools out there. However, I wasnt very impressed being that it was a satellite campus.

I've also been told by numerous pharmacists that it doesn't matter where you get a degree, just as long as you do have one.

Satellite Campus School= University of Florida

Main Campus School= Nova Southeastern University

Yes UF has a better reputation based on the fact that the school is more competitve admissions wise and is also one of the best ranked pharm schools out there. However, I wasnt very impressed being that it was a satellite campus.

I've also been told by numerous pharmacists that it doesn't matter where you get a degree, just as long as you do have one.

It really doesn't matter where you get your degree from as long as you pass the boards. From your post, I have a feeling that you would be happier at the main campus. Also, which school do you think will enable to to become a better pharmacist? I understand that UF has a good pharmacy program, but from your post, I sense that you are not confident with the distance learning program (I have the same reservations regarding satellite programs so I understand your concerns). My suggestion would be to go to the school that would be more suited for your style of learning.

Go to the main campus!!!

College isn't just about a degree. You'll be happier at a big main campus because there will be student life and activities.