Whisker Barrell Cortex?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey WBC,
I have found your posts to be quite helpful, and you seem to be in a perfect position to possibly answer a few questions I have. I will be starting at MCW next fall, and I am currently (I know, it'll all probably change) planning on going into radiology. I have a few questions about MCW, research opportunities, dual degrees, and the quest for radiology in general.

-I have done some good research in Nuclear Medicine at the Mayo Clinic, and have 5 publications so far. Does stuff like this (summer undergrad research) help out when trying to match?

-Would having a master's degree in a biomedical science (neuroscience, functional imaging, anatomy, etc.) help when trying to match?

-How are such grad programs at MCW? I am looking at getting a master's in addition to my MD, mostly to get some good research done. Does MCW have any programs that would be relevant to radiology?

-If not a dual degree, I'd definitely like to do some radiology research. I am thinking in particular about the summer research fellowships after first year. Are there radiology opportunities there?

I know that's a lot to chew on, but I'd really appreciate any feedback you could give. Thanks a lot.

btw, i'm currently at UW. congrats on your match here. you're gonna love Madison!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Barton,

Congrats on coming to MCW. It is a great school and I have really enjoyed my time here. It seems we'll be trading places next year (UW and MCW).

I think you are way ahead of the rest of the pack when it comes to radiology. Most people I know who chose this field didn't pick it until third year.

Your research and publications in Nuc Med will be a huge bonus to you come application time, especially if you plan on trying to match at a research oriented University program. Not only is it good because research in general is good, it also shows the depth of your interest in radiology, which a lot of programs seem to be wary of since some of the people applying these days seem to be all about the money and lifestyle. They don't want someone who is going to leave because they can't stand the field.

As for the master's thing, I wouldn't do it just to improve your chances at matching because I don't think it adds that much given your past research. It will help a little bit, but don't do it unless you really would enjoy it. I know MCW has master's in anatomy and neuroscience. I am not sure, but I think there is a joint program in functional imaging with Marquette University.

As for summer research fellowships, there are plenty of radiology opportunities, especially in functional MRI. I did some fMRI work myself and enjoyed it greatly. Although it is very difficult to publish after a summers worth of work, I know of people who continued to do work during second year and got some great publications and poster presentations.

Radiology is a great field and if you enjoyed your Nuc Med research, I think you will love the field as much as I do. Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions you have.