White coat ceremonies DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotaspirations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting PT school this summer and found out there's no white coat ceremony. Isn't white coat ceremonies an important component of PT school? It's such a pivotal change in someone's life that it can really make a difference. What gives? Do your program have it? It's so frustrating!!

Members don't see this ad.

Take a deep breath. I don't think it is important at all. How are white coat ceremonies an important component of PT school? What difference do white coat ceremonies make?

Reactions: 3 users
Take a deep breath. I don't think it is important at all. How are white coat ceremonies an important component of PT school? What difference do white coat ceremonies make?
It's symbolic of a students transition to a clinician. It's something to be proud of.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's symbolic of a students transition to a clinician. It's something to be proud of.

Oh I don't disagree. White coat ceremonies are nice. I just don't think they're all that important to the primary objectives of attending PT school. Having one vs. not having one doesn't make a difference.

I'm also starting PT school this summer and I literally have no idea if my school has a white coat ceremony. IMO the pomp and circumstance is unnecessary. Besides, I have never seen a PT wear a white coat... they should really be doing branded polo shirt ceremonies.

Reactions: 10 users
Oh I don't disagree. White coat ceremonies are nice. I just don't think they're all that important to the primary objectives of attending PT school. Having one vs. not having one doesn't make a difference.

I'm also starting PT school this summer and I literally have no idea if my school has a white coat ceremony. IMO the pomp and circumstance is unnecessary. Besides, I have never seen a PT wear a white coat... they should really be doing branded polo shirt ceremonies.

The opinions on our white coat ceremony in my class were split. Half thought it was a necessary event to congratulate us on finishing our basic didactic work, half thought it wasn't a big deal. Personally, I was in the latter group. For some reason I didn't feel like I deserved such a ceremony yet. I felt like I knew little of what it meant to be a PT since we only finished the core curriculum.

To me graduation will be 100x more important. It kinda felt like receiving the conference championship trophy in the NFL. It's nice to have, but we all know teams are after that Lombardi.

The opinions on our white coat ceremony in my class were split. Half thought it was a necessary event to congratulate us on finishing our basic didactic work, half thought it wasn't a big deal. Personally, I was in the latter group. For some reason I didn't feel like I deserved such a ceremony yet. I felt like I knew little of what it meant to be a PT since we only finished the core curriculum.

To me graduation will be 100x more important. It kinda felt like receiving the conference championship trophy in the NFL. It's nice to have, but we all know teams are after that Lombardi.

^Go Hawks!!! lol

Reactions: 1 users
Probably won't attend it. They're annoying and don't work like scrubs or khakis and a polo for your work. You also don't wear them to work.

I've noticed nursing wearing them around the hospital also. Idk why they're doing it either.

Last edited:
We don't have one and I honestly don't think I'm missing out on anything. Just give me my diploma and I'll be on my way.

Reactions: 2 users

It's symbolic of practicing an implemented science although the skillset varies drastically dependent on setting. Being a clinician most of the time in many fields makes a white coat an annoying burden.

It's symbolic of practicing an implemented science although the skillset varies drastically dependent on setting. Being a clinician most of the time in many fields makes a white coat an annoying burden.
i think you guys are missing the point. She isn't saying she wants to participate in the white coat ceremony so that she can wear it everyday when shes a PT. I'm sure shes well aware that PT's don't really wear white coats and that they are a burden... The ceremony is symbolic of the transition to a DOCTOR and is 100 percent something to be proud of

I will be starting PT school this summer and found out there's no white coat ceremony. Isn't white coat ceremonies an important component of PT school? It's such a pivotal change in someone's life that it can really make a difference. What gives? Do your program have it? It's so frustrating!!
The white coat ceremony is a meaningless exercise created in the late 80s to add a sense of pomp and circumstance to becoming a physician. It's overrated, silly, and pointless, and doubly so for those not in medical school because it's not just a fake tradition, but a stolen fake tradition.

Of all the things I cared about as a student and now a PT, a white coat ceremony has never entered my mind. My "white coat ceremony" inbetween final exams and my first affiliation was going out for dinner and drinks with classmates.

Reactions: 3 users

For someone who hasn't started yet you seem to have a lot of issues with your program on here. I didn't find white coat to be a big deal but if you're having so many issues before your program has begun are you sure it's a good fit for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
For someone who hasn't started yet you seem to have a lot of issues with your program on here. I didn't find white coat to be a big deal but if you're having so many issues before your program has begun are you sure it's a good fit for you?
LOL wow although a majority of the people on here have been very nice and helpful it really seems as though some people were never taught if you don't have anything nice or helpful to say you probably shouldn't say it. Not sure if that comment was a dig or what but I've had it with people on here and their snide comments...that being said everyone should keep in mind that NOT EVERYONE gets into their number one school and while the PT field continues to get more competitive, sometimes the only choice you have is a second, third or maybe even fourth choice school that may have one or two things you don't like about the program but have to suck it up being that its either that or wait a whole extra year to get in (that's if you even get in the next round). Anyways, good luck to you 'gotaspirations' in your PT school program I'm sure you will do great!

LOL wow although a majority of the people on here have been very nice and helpful it really seems as though some people were never taught if you don't have anything nice or helpful to say you probably shouldn't say it. Not sure if that comment was a dig or what but I've had it with people on here and their snide comments...that being said everyone should keep in mind that NOT EVERYONE gets into their number one school and while the PT field continues to get more competitive, sometimes the only choice you have is a second, third or maybe even fourth choice school that may have one or two things you don't like about the program but have to suck it up being that its either that or wait a whole extra year to get in (that's if you even get in the next round). Anyways, good luck to you 'gotaspirations' in your PT school program I'm sure you will do great!

I don't see any dig or snide comments in my post (maybe you should check yours), but this poster has made a few posts complaining at length about their program, from location, to cost, to insurance, and now this. When making a large investment it is important to be sure that you are making the right one. We all have a passion for PT here and becoming one, but going in this cycle for 200k+ is not the only option. Much better to be certain with a program going in rather than deciding you hate it when you're close to 100k invested.

I'm sorry if my comments ignited some sort of dog pile on @gotaspirations. There is nothing wrong with wanting and liking white coat ceremonies. You invite your loved ones to celebrate and acknowledge your achievements, etc. They ARE nice. Getting into PT school, graduating PT school, and working as a successful PT are not without challenges and definitely something to be proud of.

I'm just saying even if your school doesn't have a ceremony to announce or showcase your achievements, you can still have pride in your work and progress.

I'm sorry if my comments ignited some sort of dog pile on @gotaspirations. There is nothing wrong with wanting and liking white coat ceremonies. You invite your loved ones to celebrate and acknowledge your achievements, etc. They ARE nice. Getting into PT school, graduating PT school, and working as a successful PT are not without challenges and definitely something to be proud of.

I'm just saying even if your school doesn't have a ceremony to announce or showcase your achievements, you can still have pride in your work and progress.
Agreed, it definitely shouldn't make or break your decision to attend a school I see what you were saying. What I said wasn't geared toward you, I just don't see what good the comment by NJ DPT HOPEFUL made. Sorry if you though I meant you!

If it's something that's important to you, and you can get your classmates on board, you can hold your own ceremony. Buy your own coats, ask a faculty member to speak, and do a little fundraising. We plan our own graduation celebration in my program and it's definitely doable.

If you can get your classmates on board, you can hold your own ceremony.

I wished I had thought of this myself... I would have proposed a coronation ceremony to my classmates, complete with crowns and scepters.

Seriously, I think the white coat ceremony is just bling and should not even be one of the criteria by which you pick a school to attend. The proximity of the cafeteria to the building where I have my classes would be more important, for me.

Reactions: 10 users
It's overrated, silly, and pointless, and doubly so for those not in medical school because it's not just a fake tradition, but a stolen fake tradition.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks for the reality check.

Last edited:
The white coat ceremony is a meaningless exercise created in the late 80s to add a sense of pomp and circumstance to becoming a physician. It's overrated, silly, and pointless, and doubly so for those not in medical school because it's not just a fake tradition, but a stolen fake tradition.

......you're aware it was implemented as marketing to symbolize clinical implementation as a physician scientist, right?

The pomp circumstance being the only reason would be like comp sci grads walking into google on workday wearing a graduation cap for no reason whatsoever except that it was randomly made a graduation tradition. Of course it's become a cultural and revered marketing symbol now, particularly for billboards for the newest ER.

But yeah, it's overrated. NPs are the ones actually wearing it around the hospitals tho as a taken uniform to my knowledge.

......you're aware it was implemented as marketing to symbolize clinical implementation as a physician scientist, right?

The pomp circumstance being the only reason would be like comp sci grads walking into google on workday wearing a graduation cap for no reason whatsoever except that it was randomly made a graduation tradition. Of course it's become a cultural and revered marketing symbol now, particularly for billboards for the newest ER.

But yeah, it's overrated. NPs are the ones actually wearing it around the hospitals tho as a taken uniform to my knowledge.
You're confusing the purpose of the white coat with the purpose of the white coat ceremony. White coat ceremonies are a new bit of nonsense started in Chicago in 1987, meant to basically make a person feel like a doctor and instill a sense of doctor-ness in them artificially. The white coat itself was used without ceremony for one hundred years, after replacing the black coat. The ceremony is artificial and ridiculous.

You're confusing the purpose of the white coat with the purpose of the white coat ceremony. White coat ceremonies are a new bit of nonsense started in Chicago in 1987, meant to basically make a person feel like a doctor and instill a sense of doctor-ness in them artificially. The white coat itself was used without ceremony for one hundred years, after replacing the black coat. The ceremony is artificial and ridiculous.

Didn't have this perspective. Thank you for the clarification. Always like reading your posts. Hope things are going well for you

real talk... I just wanted one for a spankin new FB profile photo.
luckily, my program decided to save the dollars and move on without one.

follow @RealTalkSPT for more... real talk

Last edited:
real talk... I just wanted one for a spankin new FB profile photo.
luckily, my program decided to save the dollars and move on without one.

follow @RealTalkSPT on twitter to continue this discussion!

No

My school didn't have a white coat ceremony, and until today I honestly didn't know there was such a thing. My symbolic celebration for becoming a clinician happened on graduation day, when I got to wear a silly-looking octagonal hat and an equally silly and impractical hood, and yes, it was awesome, LOL!

My boss/owner of the PT clinic I currently work in is the only DPT in the office and she actually wears her white coat every single day at work..So there are some people who are extra proud to wear it lol I can understand the symbolism behind it but don't think the ceremony should be a deal breaker for a program

When I was shadowing, the PTs who were DPT wore white coats and the rest didn't. It was actually a bit repulsive that they (2-3 of them) decided to do that just to stand out. No dress code or anything.

When I was shadowing, the PTs who were DPT wore white coats and the rest didn't. It was actually a bit repulsive that they (2-3 of them) decided to do that just to stand out. No dress code or anything.

Don't work there when out.

There's a problem if that is actually the dress code of choice.....not even mentioning the fact that the staff will look disjointed not conforming to one type of appearance for patients