White Coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a program where we need to buy our own white coats. What do you guys think is the ideal coat? Cotton vs polyester? Heavy vs light? Do I pay extra for the antimicrobial stuff or stick with old fashioned fabric? Should I buy 1, 2, or 3? I'm in Peds: is something with cartoon characters field appropriate or still too nurse-ie? Anyone have any vendors to recommend/avoid? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are in peds, I would hold off on buying a coat. I did not wear my white coat at all during my entire pediatric and pediatric neurology training, with the exception of my adult neurology year. Check to see what the culture is in your hospital, and if you buy a coat, don't get more than one.

- Erick

at my school, peds residents do wear white coats.

If you are in peds, I would hold off on buying a coat. I did not wear my white coat at all during my entire pediatric and pediatric neurology training, with the exception of my adult neurology year. Check to see what the culture is in your hospital, and if you buy a coat, don't get more than one.

- Erick

The chief resident told Mr to buy the coat., so no options there. The only question is what to buy.

At a Naval hospital, you are likely to be required to wear a white coat to go out of a clinical area with scrubs on. On long call nights (whenever you start them now in the new era of work hour restrictions), it's nice to keep you warm, and, yes, I kept stuff in my pockets. I hate the cheap cotton/poly blend used in low end coats. Uncomfortable (for me, but not for many others) and seems warmer compared to its thickness than it should (100% subjective observation here). I had a thinner, 100% cotton made by Meta that I really liked. Comfortable, cooler material and had an inside 5th pocket that I like to put my wallet in. Personally, I like that you can get away with some goofier stuff being a pediatrician. I sewed on some smiley face buttons on mine. The kids, parents, and many others liked it. I say have a little fun. You're not an internist.