White Coats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes-the coat stays at the hospital. I try to keep my car as MRSA-free as I can.

And yes, it isn’t necessary. But it’s as added extra bonus. The primary reason I wear the coat is to appear more professional-patients will judge me in the first 15 seconds or so of meeting me, and my age (though I’m not that young-I was a nontrad) works against me there.

As I get older and more comfortable at the job I may stop wearing the coat and tie. But then I still run into the problem of where to put my reflex hammer and penlight. The reflex hammer is more bulky since in PM&R, we use real hammers (though mine isn’t as hardcore as the neurologists I’ve seen using a queen square with a foot-long handle...) And half the time I do keep my stetoscope in the pocket as well
That reflex hammer is the kind I have. Don't remember where I got it and it has been ages since I used it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes-the coat stays at the hospital. I try to keep my car as MRSA-free as I can.

And yes, it isn’t necessary. But it’s as added extra bonus. The primary reason I wear the coat is to appear more professional-patients will judge me in the first 15 seconds or so of meeting me, and my age (though I’m not that young-I was a nontrad) works against me there.

As I get older and more comfortable at the job I may stop wearing the coat and tie. But then I still run into the problem of where to put my reflex hammer and penlight. The reflex hammer is more bulky since in PM&R, we use real hammers (though mine isn’t as hardcore as the neurologists I’ve seen using a queen square with a foot-long handle...) And half the time I do keep my stetoscope in the pocket as well
Not wearing the stethoscope around the neck in contact with skin makes it last longer. Of course I just position mine around my neck so it's not in contact but there you go.