Who among you sells insurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh you don't sell insurance, or cell phone service, or cable internet?

Then why do you let people call you a "provider"?

I know this seems like a lost cause - but I still try to fight the fight. On departmental forms I am supposed to sign, I make it very obvious when I cross out the word "provider" and write PHYSICIAN. I'll correct people and will quickly remind them that being a physician takes decision making ability backed by knowledge....providing a service requires really nothing.

Because of that, I was glad I'm not alone.

I enjoyed this very short article.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Hearing people say "provider" makes me cringe much like "Nurse Anesthesiologist." I've corrected people, and it hasn't seemed to help. It's not the patients. It's the nurses and admins.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hospitals are not on the side of physicians. Hospitals care about the bottom line, money, and they will do whatever it takes to maximize their profit. How else will they pay the fat paychecks and obscene "performance" bonuses for the CEOs and other c-suites? Provider is a clever term the administration use because they can easily interchange a highly educated, highly specialized physician with a much lower trained mid-level. They don't want patients to know the difference.

Reactions: 6 users