Who are the big names at Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandoraone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was looking to get started in research in derm and figured it might be best (for later LORS) to work with big names in the field. Is there anyone at the Mayo clinic who is super well know or a big-shot who I should try and work with?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

William and Charles Mayo are pretty well respected and known all over, i hear it's tough to get a LOR out of them...in all seriousness, look into an area of research that you are passionate about, not a "big name" b/c if you don't like the area/topic of research, you true intentions of harvesting a LOR will be more obvious.

in other words, you have asked the wrong question. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for asking a dumb question, that was not my intention. However, when looking through the what are my chances thread everyone always says letters from big names at your school really are the make or break, things that can get you matched. That being the case, how am I supposed to figure out who are the "big names" or influential people I should be talking to?

the best rec is the rec from someone who actually knows you and shares your passion for the subject you are researching. Corny but soooooo true. Forget big names, go for the research you are interested in and everything will fall into place. Everyone at Mayo would be a great feather in your cap.