Who Cares...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshbeatschris

New Phuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading over these posts on this forum for many months now. The more I visit them, the more the numbers just jumble together and the less and less I care. Here we are, literally Slaves to our Numbers! We think about them constantly. Do I measure up? What year will I graduate? What will my GPA be? What's my PCAT percentile? How many hours a week do I work? Go to school? Volunteer? How many years experience do I have? Ahhhhhhhh!!!! It makes me either want to scream bloody murder until I am hoarse or just crawl under the covers and sleep forever.

Will we always be slaves to numbers? What's the doctor's number? How many pills? How many milligrams? How many mols per liter?

But most importantly... HOW MUCH MONEY WILL YOU GIVE ME PER YEAR? HOW MANY THINGS CAN I BUY WITH THAT MONEY? WILL THE POT OF GOLD STILL BE AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW WHEN WE GET THERE?

chris

Members don't see this ad.

freshbeatschris said:
I've been reading over these posts on this forum for many months now. The more I visit them, the more the numbers just jumble together and the less and less I care. Here we are, literally Slaves to our Numbers! We think about them constantly. Do I measure up? What year will I graduate? What will my GPA be? What's my PCAT percentile? How many hours a week do I work? Go to school? Volunteer? How many years experience do I have? Ahhhhhhhh!!!! It makes me either want to scream bloody murder until I am hoarse or just crawl under the covers and sleep forever.

Will we always be slaves to numbers? What's the doctor's number? How many pills? How many milligrams? How many mols per liter?

But most importantly... HOW MUCH MONEY WILL YOU GIVE ME PER YEAR? HOW MANY THINGS CAN I BUY WITH THAT MONEY? WILL THE POT OF GOLD STILL BE AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW WHEN WE GET THERE?

chris

try and think of happy numbers:

7, 12, 44, 55, 34545, and sometimes 82

~i'm just playin'

i really like your mini essay - very conceptual :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
freshbeatschris said:

chris

:clap: well said. i totally agree. "Will the pot of gold still be at the end of the rainbow when I get there?"

but... this is what we are. in this process we are just a number. student #12345. GPA 3.9999876377874858. 99 percentile. 20 million hours of whatever. 1500+ applicants. 100 slots. reject or accept applicant #45678. blah blah blah. just another number.

freshbeatschris said:

chris

And at THE END... we ALL die :(

OoShimmeroO said:
And at THE END... we ALL die :(

" 'Vanity of vanities' says the preacher, 'all is vanity' "
-ecclesiasties

one might think that you would have followed a different path if you didn't like numbers maybe a nice job as an english teacher or anthropologist or something else. however sometimes I start thinking about the fact that as people the only thing we are is an organic pulp that moves and thinks. we all feel like we are so busy and our bussiness is so important but it isn't. we are just as busy as any bug that walks around thinking his day to day tasks are important, but in the grand sceam of things nothing anything does is of any real concern to any thing else, ever. under these curcumstances I would much rather be a number. people will move about being concerned with me or my situation. decicing my fate or expecting me to decide thier's. and for a short while #1546987 will be a big shot. +pity+

Bright and early for their daily races, going nowhere. Going nowhere.

Agreed with Dr. Bird, actually thinking about existence usually leads to dark thoughts. You could insert religion into this, but let's not. But everything relates to numbers, numbers in everything, numbers all around.

But numbers don't exist.