Who else is applying DO/PhD this year?

Started by 1Path
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I want to apply DO/PhD but I have gotten a lot of negative responses about it. But I may go ahead and do it anyway
 
doctorjoy said:
I want to apply DO/PhD but I have gotten a lot of negative responses about it. But I may go ahead and do it anyway

I imagine you've received these responses from folks who are anti-DO maybe?

It's obvioulsy not as popular as MD/PhD but I've met too many DO researchers who are just amazing to be phased much by titles anymore. As trite as it sounds, it's looking more and more each day that education truly is what you make of it.

That the world's premier research institution the NIH, willingly accepts/supports DO's pretty much seals the deal on "quality" for me. 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No. Most of the response have been from DO at certain schools. I think it is because their programs are not that strong. The only place that I really like is Michigan State University (they actually have a PhD in Anatomy 😍 ).

It looks like we are the only ones going DO/PhD. 😀
 
doctorjoy said:
No. Most of the response have been from DO at certain schools. I think it is because their programs are not that strong. The only place that I really like is Michigan State University (they actually have a PhD in Anatomy 😍 ).

It looks like we are the only ones going DO/PhD. 😀

I like MSU also but UNTHSC is my top choice. I figure I could do a joint project with the folks at UT-Southwestern. 👍
 
I'll admit this this second-hand info for me (and third-hand for you!)...

I've heard some good things about NOVA in FL. I know someone who is an instructor/lecturer/whatever working in a research lab and he's fairly impressed. It's no major research powerhouse like JHU, UCSF, etc, but it's OK. Maybe you guys should check out that school?

-X

1Path said:
I like MSU also but UNTHSC is my top choice. I figure I could do a joint project with the folks at UT-Southwestern. 👍
 
do you guys think having a DO/PhD can give you an edge in obtaining allopathic residencies?
 
UMDNJ also has a DO/PhD program for certain disciplines that looks like it could be something of interest.
 
let's say a DO/PhD did a really good thesis, and is applying for a clinical/research position in an allopathic medical school, would he be at a disadvantage to MD/PhDs applying for the same slot?(also, consider that the DO/Phd had solid board scores)