who else is taking both COMLEX and USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most people at my school only take the COMLEX, so I'm just looking to compare notes with others who are planning to take both. How are you planning to study, beyond the obvious necessities (First Aid and Saverese)?

Is there anyone else who is in my position of taking the COMLEX first and the USMLE second? I know the conventional wisdom is to do the USMLE first, then cram OMM for the COMLEX as a finale...however, with the way the scheduling is at my chosen test site, I don't really have a choice unless I want to bump the USMLE up a week earlier than I originally planned (but since I am already a bit pressed for studying time, I really don't want to do that!)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking both...bump up the molecular/genetics for the USMLE and for the COMLEX add in OMM (ie Savarese). The COMLEX is heavier on bugs and drugs...but it doesn't make sense to not know those extremely well for the USMLE. That makes OMM (and maybe some more peripheral anatomy) all you need to add for COMLEX.

I have found the old edition of High Yield Cell and Molecular to be a damn good and concise (110 page) reference for what literally ends up being the major difference b/w the two tests. The new edition is over 300 pages...forget that....drop maybe 5$ on a used copy of this on ebay, amazon, etc.

Hope that helps

i do not envy you guys who have to take 2 of these horrid exams. good luck!

Yeah, I'm taking both. USMLE first and COMLEX 5 days after. I figure that's enough time to cram OMM and more micro. I don't think it really matters which you take first, just make sure you have enough time to cram test-specific subjects like OMM/micro for COMLEX or Cell/Molec for USMLE.

COMLEX first, USMLE one week later.

Kaplan COMLEX course + Goljan Rapid Review + Goljan audio + FA + StepUp + a variey of flash cards + Simmons for OMM