Who else isn't good enough for SMDEP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyhands

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out today that I wasn't accepted into any of the three SMDEP program sites I applied for. I am absoultely steaming right now. I probably didn't get in because I didn't BS the essay like 95% of the other applicants probably did.

Who else "wasn't good enough" for SMDEP? I don't want to hear from people who got in; its just going to piss me off more. No, go ahead; I'm just really annoyed now because I know some idiot with a 2.25 GPA and no work ethic got into the program just because he BS'ed the essay and was a minority that was considered underrepresented in medicine. I am a minority btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that...it could be a couple of things...when did you apply they really prefer early applicants...also if you applied to the more popular programs then it could have just been competitive whereas if you had applied to lesser desired programs you may have gotten in...you may be "too good" for the program...you may have come across as cocky and expecting to get in...it could be any of the above factors or a combination

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet...I'm not alone. Just kidding.

Yea, you are def. in my boat since I had >3.9 GPA, 3 good LORs from classes I did very well in, and I also didn't apply late; I didn't apply super early but still. Same deal with the rejection; no e-mail.

What kind of pisses me off too is that the people making the decisions don't even have Ph.Ds or MDs.

I'd like to see what kind of people got in. I'm guessing that if you are URM and a pulse was verified through e-mail via a reference, you were good to go.

What sites did you apply to? Also, since you did not "BS" your essay what did you say? If you came across overconfident or conceited im sure they didn't look twice at your application. Also, to calm you down, the program looks for students who would have a harder time being accepted into a professional program. They seek to motivate these students to do better and increase their chances of applying and being accepted. You may be a minority but are you an underrepresented minority? The website specifically states who the program is looking for. "In addition, the program broadened its initial focus on specific minority groups to include students who were from rural areas, economically disadvantaged, and came from groups that have historically received substandard health care regardless of their racial or ethnic background."

I didn.t BS my essay i told the truth, I spoke about my experiences. I am an URM and maybe thats why they choose me. (However, i heard that not too many ppl applied for dentistry) But in essence thats who the programs for!My GPA isnt bad 3.2 and i only sent in one LOR, but i did apply in december. I was rejected by columbia but Case and Nebraska showed me some love! Ill be attending UNMC!

but anyway..

Regardless who was making the decision they knew what they were looking for and truthfullly i dont think you know what your talking about because when i was accepted i was called and emailed by the doctors themselves who ran the program. Im very sorry that you didn't get, maybe the program wasn't for you. Are you sure it would have served you any good? You seem very arrogrant and full of yourself and thats not what the field is about. And btw id much rather have that "idiot" with a 2.25 who may have BS'ed his essay learning over the summer with me! At least he would appreciate his opportunity to do better and perhaps perform better in his upcoming semesters!!

What sites did you apply to? Also, since you did not "BS" your essay what did you say? If you came across overconfident or conceited im sure they didn't look twice at your application. Also, to calm you down, the program looks for students who would have a harder time being accepted into a professional program. They seek to motivate these students to do better and increase their chances of applying and being accepted. You may be a minority but are you an underrepresented minority? The website specifically states who the program is looking for. "In addition, the program broadened its initial focus on specific minority groups to include students who were from rural areas, economically disadvantaged, and came from groups that have historically received substandard health care regardless of their racial or ethnic background."

I didn.t BS my essay i told the truth, I spoke about my experiences. I am an URM and maybe thats why they choose me. (However, i heard that not too many ppl applied for dentistry) But in essence thats who the programs for!My GPA isnt bad 3.2 and i only sent in one LOR, but i did apply in december. I was rejected by columbia but Case and Nebraska showed me some love! Ill be attending UNMC!

but anyway..

Regardless who was making the decision they knew what they were looking for and truthfullly i dont think you know what your talking about because when i was accepted i was called and emailed by the doctors themselves who ran the program. Im very sorry that you didn't get, maybe the program wasn't for you. Are you sure it would have served you any good? You seem very arrogrant and full of yourself and thats not what the field is about. And btw id much rather have that "idiot" with a 2.25 who may have BS'ed his essay learning over the summer with me! At least he would appreciate his opportunity to do better and perhaps perform better in his upcoming semesters!!

i have nothing to do with this but i think the OP only wanted people who didnt get in to post :eek:

i'll give my testimonial about this: i applied last year and didn't get in. i'm "URM" (though not exactly...i'm hispanic but not puerto-rican or mexican-american), but i was told in my rejection that i didn't qualify. why? because i go to a top undergrad. i suspect there's more to that, like having already done research, etc...

flash-forward 1 year later: i've been accepted to medical school (and am still waiting on hearing from some awesome but slooow places!). i think they really are looking for people who need the boost, so honestly, take it as a compliment.

I agree with the above poster. You have a 3.9+ gpa, and even if you are a minority I don't see why you would need to get into one of these programs. It was my understanding that they were for people who needed an extra boost in order to be competitive for medical school. It doesn't sound like you do.

Try getting a job, clinical experience, research, or whatever it is your application lacks, because your grades surely aren't the problem.

well i still posted anyway... and no said it was grades... attitude plays a big role and believe it or not if you have a poor one it shows in personal statements. Some people dont handle rejection too well.. perhaps you were overqualified but i definately wouldnt take it as a compliment i would take it as a sign that something somewhere in the application is missing.

Sorry to hear that...it could be a couple of things...when did you apply they really prefer early applicants...also if you applied to the more popular programs then it could have just been competitive whereas if you had applied to lesser desired programs you may have gotten in...you may be "too good" for the program...you may have come across as cocky and expecting to get in...it could be any of the above factors or a combination

yeah I agree totally...but we both know that this person is being a typical irrational premed.

cya around fellow HPA alum :)

I know you don't want to hear from people who got accepted, but I really don't care. I'm not a URM, and I've got a 4.0. Ha!

Ok, I might sound arrogant as heck on this DB but thats only because I am pissed. On the essay I told the truth about everything about myself and def. did not sound overconfident or cocky.

I was also thinking that I could be overqualified, but really didn't give it a whole lot of thought when I see 'not accepted' next to the program site.

I should also tell everyone that I e-mailed the sites a week ago to ask them what I was lacking on my app. and have yet to get a response. Thats makes you feel good as well; put in x amount of time to finish the damn app. and they can't even take 30 seconds to write a reply to my question.

btw I'm not being an irrational pre med and what is an 'HPA' alum?

Ok, I might sound arrogant as heck on this DB but thats only because I am pissed. On the essay I told the truth about everything about myself and def. did not sound overconfident or cocky.

I was also thinking that I could be overqualified, but really didn't give it a whole lot of thought when I see 'not accepted' next to the program site.

I should also tell everyone that I e-mailed the sites a week ago to ask them what I was lacking on my app. and have yet to get a response. Thats makes you feel good as well; put in x amount of time to finish the damn app. and they can't even take 30 seconds to write a reply to my question.

btw I'm not being an irrational pre med and what is an 'HPA' alum?

One of the sites used to be at Baylor COM/Rice University...it was part of the SMDEP (back then the MMEP or SMEP) program but was distinguished as the "Honors Premedical Academy (HPA)." It hands down provided the most hands on experience.

I know you didn't want to hear from those who got accepted... but which sites did you apply to? first of all, there are a couple programs who prefer to accept URM but not all the programs are targeting URM or giving a "boost". from what i hear, it's a wonderful program experience for, doesn't matter if u'r a 4.0 or 3.0 so congrats to those who got in. Sorry if you didn't get in... but there are other programs like smdep that u can apply to if u want...

by the way i'm going to unmc....anyone else?

After about 6-7 e-mails to the idiots running the program and about 2 and a half weeks, I finally got a couple replies.

One e-mail I recieved was the usual BS reason, which means that they accomplished absoultely nothing by e-mailing me. They just e-mailed me because I was getting pissed from not recieving an e-mail after 2 1/2 weeks.

The other e-mail was from the New Jersey program. They said I was "over-qualified", I wouldn't benefit from the program a whole lot and that I didn't need the extra boost to my resume as opposed to other applicants.

In addition to the New Jersey program, I applied to UVA and Duke.

btw, I am slowly realizing that I would rather spend my summer sleeping in, playing a hell of a lot of golf, and traveling rather than doing work non stop in that program.