who funds peds residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most residents are funded by medicare, but who funds residents at children's hospitals where there are no medicare patients? Does Medicare just waive that rule for meds? Does medicaid step in? How much funding is usually paid to a hospital for a PEDs resident (if any).

Members don't see this ad.

So all children's hospital funding come from a program that is scheduled to be eliminated in 2012 regarless of the sequester. Outstanding. Does anyone know what the plans are to compensate for this chunk of the hospital budget that's going missing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't follow up to see what happened to the 2012 proposed budget provisions that dealt with CHGME. But OBP did.

Prior to the creation of that program, stand-alone children's hospitals simply ate the cost of resident training. Unfortunately, the funding has always been at the whim of Congress, and subject to widely fluctuating amounts of support. If it is eliminated, hospitals will once again have to eat the cost of training, which will be more difficult for some than for others.

So I guess Children's hospitals are the only hospitals who are NOT at risk of losing GME in the sequester. This program isn't included in the sequester, right? I can't find anything about it if it is. That's interesting.

Does tthe children's hospital funding program pay the same as Medicare? Is it still just a little over 100K/year/resident? Also, can you 'double dip'? If you train at a children's hospital can you still do a residency funded by Medicare, or do you only get one shot at funding?

As I read the Congressional materials, it looks like peds' residencies have most funding in place for this year, but the proposed bill would increase that funding by about $30M, or 10%. If the proposed bill is not enacted, I don't see where there would be any funding for these residencies after FYE 2013, but I could be wrong on that; maybe the funding automatically renews on a year-by-year basis.

The report says there will be about $300M funding, and that the program funds about 40% of peds residents and fellows. There were about 2600 peds slots in the match, so about 7800 peds residents total, of which about 3100 would be funded by this program. I don't know how many peds fellows there are.