-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
who is more OOS friendly Michigan or Minnesota
Started by batista_123
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Michigan:
- U of Michigan is very OOS friendly, but their class profile is intimidating
- Wayne St is moderately OOS friendly, reasonable class average
- Michigan St is the least OOS friendly, lowest class average
- Oakland is private, so theoretically very OOS friendly... but it's brand new so I don't think there are any published data on their class yet
Minnesota:
- No idea
... in any case you should buy a copy of the MSAR
- U of Michigan is very OOS friendly, but their class profile is intimidating
- Wayne St is moderately OOS friendly, reasonable class average
- Michigan St is the least OOS friendly, lowest class average
- Oakland is private, so theoretically very OOS friendly... but it's brand new so I don't think there are any published data on their class yet
Minnesota:
- No idea
... in any case you should buy a copy of the MSAR
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi
I met this guy at a coffeeshop a few weeks ago and he told me to apply to the schools of this state because they are OOS friendly. the states name started with M. I am not sure if it was Michigan or Minnesota. Which one was it?
About half of Michigan's class is generally OOS. It's definitely a competitive school, but if you've got the chops, where you come from isn't a big deal.
He was definitely talking about the University of (half) Michigan. 😡
4
410322
Michigan:
- U of Michigan is very OOS friendly, but their class profile is intimidating
- Wayne St is moderately OOS friendly, reasonable class average
- Michigan St is the least OOS friendly, lowest class average
- Oakland is private, so theoretically very OOS friendly... but it's brand new so I don't think there are any published data on their class yet
Minnesota:
- No idea
... in any case you should buy a copy of the MSAR
Minnesota
- Very in-state friendly. Historically lower tuition for MN residents and high in-state matriculation rates
Michigan
- They're trying to compete with the big dogs as far as med school goes. VERY competitive, but they offer killer scholarships to lure you away from the Ivies.
Hi
I met this guy at a coffeeshop a few weeks ago and he told me to apply to the schools of this state because they are OOS friendly. the states name started with M. I am not sure if it was Michigan or Minnesota. Which one was it?
13 % of MN classes are OOS so I think that's very IS favorable.
Ann Arbor is apparently pretty OOS friendly, but as others have mentioned they're pretty damn intimidating. They released numbers for this year, and apparently the average MCAT of OOS who got invited to interview was 38.5. That's not a typo.
Its still early in the cycle though, so maybe they just invited the very best of the best to interview off the bat, and that average MCAT will go down once the cycle ends.
Its still early in the cycle though, so maybe they just invited the very best of the best to interview off the bat, and that average MCAT will go down once the cycle ends.
Minnesota
- Very in-state friendly. Historically lower tuition for MN residents and high in-state matriculation rates
Michigan
- They're trying to compete with the big dogs as far as med school goes. VERY competitive, but they offer killer scholarships to lure you away from the Ivies.
I think your grossly mistaken about Michigan...
Oakland is over 70% Michigan residents, even though it's a private school.
Michigan State is 90% Michigan residents.
Wayne State is 80% Michigan residents.
U of M is 50% Michigan residents.
So..... yeah.
I think your grossly mistaken about Michigan...
Oakland is over 70% Michigan residents, even though it's a private school.
Michigan State is 90% Michigan residents.
Wayne State is 80% Michigan residents.
U of M is 50% Michigan residents.
So..... yeah.
I'm pretty sure that's what he was saying. U of Michigan is 50% IS, meaning the 50% OOSer's probably have killer stats. And yes minnesota is IS friendly.
4
410322
I think your grossly mistaken about Michigan...
Oakland is over 70% Michigan residents, even though it's a private school.
Michigan State is 90% Michigan residents.
Wayne State is 80% Michigan residents.
U of M is 50% Michigan residents.
So..... yeah.
I'm pretty sure that's what he was saying. U of Michigan is 50% IS, meaning the 50% OOSer's probably have killer stats. And yes minnesota is IS friendly.
^^Answered. But yes, I was referring to UMich. It's no secret that they have great scholarship packages for strong OOS applicants that they want to lure away from top colleges.
^^Answered. But yes, I was referring to UMich. It's no secret that they have great scholarship packages for strong OOS applicants that they want to lure away from top colleges.
U of M is a top 10 school.... that not top enough for you?
They're not luring at all. They have a great program and a great reputation. NickNaylor turned Michigan down and went to UChicago. He was a very strong OOS applicant.
4
410322
U of M is a top 10 school.... that not top enough for you?
They're not luring at all. They have a great program and a great reputation. NickNaylor turned Michigan down and went to UChicago. He was a very strong OOS applicant.
From other** top colleges. Beyond that, I'm not going to get into a pissing match about Michigan with you.
From other** top colleges. Beyond that, I'm not going to get into a pissing match about Michigan with you.
Get prestige, or die trying right?
Umm... You guys seem to be arguing on the same side. 😕
Speaking of U of M(ichigan), I have to go twiddle my thumbs nervously until 12:01 😱
😱
Speaking of U of M(ichigan), I have to go twiddle my thumbs nervously until 12:01 😱
😱 Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2
235788
I could be wrong, but isn't michigan one of the states that never allows you to become a resident while in medical school? Meaning, in order the get instate tuition you would have to take a non-academic year?
That is true, Michigan residency is next to impossible for students to gain. That being said, UMich's out of state tuition is on par with most private schools so if you're gonna be out of state anyway, its not that much of a difference from most other places.
Also, they have a lot of recruitment scholarships, especially for competitive OOS students, but I wouldn't count on that getting you into and through medical school.
Also, they have a lot of recruitment scholarships, especially for competitive OOS students, but I wouldn't count on that getting you into and through medical school.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 630