who is STILL waiting for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still!!!

what is wrong with those schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had 4 interviews with another one scheduled in late Feb. I've been rejected by 5 schools after secondary and still haven't heard from U. Penn, U. Mich, BU or Tufts after my secondary. I am not hopeful.

still waiting on most schools here; got an additional interview since I last posted on the waiting for interview thread though (my state school). So far gone to 4 interviews, going to 1 more, and waiting on 9 schools for a decision. oh yeah, 6 rejections without interview as well..

[This message has been edited by Katie (edited 01-31-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
applied to 2 schools....1 reject, 1 interview. I will hear yea or nea on feb 15

well, I recently withdrew my application from Tufts, but they still had not given me an interview! I really really think that waiting just a few weeks before turning in the secondary affects your chances of getting an interview EXPONENTIALLY!!!

I turned in all my other secondaries by the end of August, but I didn't turn in Tufts till the end of September. Everyone else got back to me except Tufts!

I really can't emphasize enough how important early submission of everything is!
I hope future applicants read this!

jimi,

does that mean august MCATers (like me) are EXPONENTIALLY screwed?!

please jimi, like others have mentioned before, mind your audience...alot of us would love to be a fraction as fortunate as you.

I'm still waiting on WashU, Pritzker, MCP, UIC, and GWU. Nothing yet, but I already know not to be too happy when I recieve letters from WashU and Pritzker, but hey, you never know right?
smile.gif
Still waiting for an interview. Hey, if any of you applied to WashU, did they send you a postcard or a letter stating that your application was complete?

------------------
Imtiaz
----------------------------------------------------------------
I write messages on money.
It's my own form of social protest.
A letter printed on paper that no one will destroy.
Passed indiscriminately across race, class, and gender lines, and written on the blood that keeps the beast alive.
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter, and a federal crime.
I hope that someone will find my message one day when they really need it.
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Oh yeah, throw Chicago Med into that list as well.

------------------
Imtiaz
----------------------------------------------------------------
I write messages on money.
It's my own form of social protest.
A letter printed on paper that no one will destroy.
Passed indiscriminately across race, class, and gender lines, and written on the blood that keeps the beast alive.
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter, and a federal crime.
I hope that someone will find my message one day when they really need it.
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Imtiaz -- I think Wash U sent a letter to notify you about the app being complete, and you can also check on their website. Good luck.

By the way, I'll repost what I said on the previous interview thread -- when I spoke to my premed advisor last week, she said that the next 4-6 weeks are the "peak" interview time, so I wouldn't freak out too much if you haven't heard anything. On the other hand, a call to check on the status of your app. might not hurt either...

Originally posted by Mustafa:
jimi,

does that mean august MCATers (like me) are EXPONENTIALLY screwed?!

please jimi, like others have mentioned before, mind your audience...alot of us would love to be a fraction as fortunate as you.

Gosh, Mustafa, I seem to always push your buttons...

I was not saying that you would be screwed if you took the August MCAT. I was merely saying that you should send in your applications as soon as possible. For example, if you get secondaries before your MCAT scores are released you should complete them all quickly so that they just have to wait for your MCAT.

I'm not sure why you keep taking offense to the little minor things I say...

In the end, all I'm saying is that TIMING is a very important factor.

I think future applicants should realize this when deciding to take the April or August MCAT...or when deciding to put off their applications a bit...etc. etc.

sheesh...

jimi,

not taking offense, just asking you to be a bit mindful of those around you. several posts have reiterated the fact that jan-feb is peak interviewing time, but here you are talking about how dramatically chances for interview go down by waiting a few weeks. Perhaps this might be the case late in the season, but the instructive examples you use are sometimes just plain unrealistic. For instance, I have a feeling that most applicants don't consider "September" that late at all for submitting a secondary, as you did for Tufts. I'm sure there's some other reason you've not been notified (perhaps they don't think you're likely to attend, esp. given the caliber of the other schools at which you've interviewd). In fact, schools that screen secondaries may not even send them til after September, especially for the August MCATers. In the end your point is well taken, but the September example might send many applicants reeling, especially when many of us consider you a very fine, distinguished person and applicant, whose suggestions are taken seriously.

but please take my comments with a grain of salt....

Here is my tally so far (I took the August MCAT):

Rejected w/o interview:
MAYO (11/14)
Vermont (12/4)
Rochester (around 1/23?)
OHSU (2/7)
Duke (around 2/5?)
Northwestern (2/20)
Harvard (2/28)
Stanford (2/28)
Johns Hopkins

On Hold For Interview:
UC San Diego (rejected 2/28)

Interviewed/Accepted: (1)
Michigan (1/26); accepted (2/6)

Interviewed/Waitlisted or Hold: (8)
Wash U (12/18); waitlist (3/27)
Dartmouth (1/4); waitlist (3/6); withdrew application (3/12) *earliest date to get off waitlist is late May
NYU (1/6); hold (2/14)withdrew application (2/28)
Columbia (1/16); hold (2/15)
Cornell (1/23); waitlist (3/13)
U Penn (2/10); waitlist-first tier(3/6)
Yale (3/5); waitlist (3/23)

Interviewed/Rejected: (2)
Chicago Pritzker (1/22); rejected (2/20)
UCSF (2/5); rejected (2/26)
Case Western (1/29); hold (2/7); rejected (4/5)

Interviewed/Waiting:
Vanderbilt (1/12)
USC (2/6)
UC Irvine (2/8)
George Washington (3/6); not going
Albany (4/16); not going

No Response:
UC Davis
UCLA
Emory (withdrew application 3/6)
Boston (withdrew application 3/6)
Tufts (withdrew application 3/6)
Chicago Loyola (withdrew application 3/6)

Dates for rejections/acceptances refer to date letter was written, not date letter was received. Or, if by email, date email was sent.

[This message has been edited by chi-chi (edited April 06, 2001).]

I took the August MCAT and I think it sucks to be so late in the process. I honestly believe it hurts you, even if you do really well.

Interviewed and accepted:
U Mich (1/26): accept (2/6)
Case (1/29): accept (2/7)
Northwestern (1/30): accept (2/23)--withdraw

Interviewed and waitlisted:
NYU (1/6): hold (2/14)--withdraw
Columbia (1/16): hold (2/15)

Interviewed and waiting:
Wash U (12/18)
Yale (1/3)
Vanderbilt (1/12)
U Chicago (1/22)
Cornell (1/23)
UCSF (2/5)
UC Davis (2/6)
UC Irvine (2/8)
U Penn (2/10)
Dartmouth (3/27)

I received an interview offer from Vermont (3/20) and Albany (4/26) but will not go.

Rejections w/o interview from:
Rochester, GW, Duke, OHSU, UCSD, Harvard, UCLA

Withdraw: Emory, Boston, Tufts, Loyola

I have not heard from, and at this point, know to expect rejections: Hopkins, USC, Stanford.

[This message has been edited by lizard (edited 03-07-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
August MCAT, NOT Cali resident.

Interviewed:
Mayo (1/8) --> "Hold"
WashU (1/12)
Columbia (1/18) --> "Alternate"
Yale (1/22)
UPenn (1/27)
Northwestern (1/30)
Hopkins (2/2)

Interview Invites:
Stanford (2/26)
UCSF (2/27)
Duke (3/2)

Reject w/o interview:
Harvard
Cornell
UCLA

Accepted at state school.

[This message has been edited by Oceandust (edited 02-20-2001).]

hi mustafa,

here is what is going on with Tufts from what I gather.. I don't think that Jimi's turning in the secondary in September was really the issue with that particular school. Tufts seems to send out interviews for 3 seasons of interview sessions; Fall (oct-dec), winter (jan-early march), and Spring (Mar-May 1). So if you don't get invited to interview in the Fall or Winter Interview Sessions (as they're called at Tufts); you still have a good chance to get invited for the Spring Sessions. My application was complete at Tufts in early/mid-September, stats are very average (jimi's are quite a bit better than mine), and I didn't hear from them until December for an interview in late January. Bottom line: Until you get a rejection letter, don't count yourself out.

mustafa,

Point well taken. I guess I'm a bit neurotic.
biggrin.gif

Hey, Lizard and Chi-Chi- I think we met at Columbia on the 16th
smile.gif
- best of luck to you guys! You're getting so many interviews, I'm sure it'll work out somewhere. Still, the waiting sucks, doesn't it?

Granted, I applied to fewer places than you both did, but I've only been on one interview so far- here's my deal:

Rejected:
Case Western
SUNY- Downstate

Interviewed:
Columbia

Interviewing:
NYU
Einstein
Sinai
Jefferson

No word, probably rejections:
Cornell
UPenn
Harvard
Yale
Tufts
Hopkins

No word, because they don't send out any interview notifications until February (they're into prolonging the agony of applicants):
U Toronto
U Ottawa
U Western Ontario

Seriously, one of these days I think I'm going to fall in love with the mailman! I look forward to seeing him everyday...

medgrrl:

Seriously, one of these days I think I'm going to fall in love with the mailman! I look forward to seeing him everyday...

[/B][/QUOTE]

I actually wrote a thank you note to my mailman since I pretty much schedule my life around his arrival!

He's really cool he always asks me if I've heard anything.

I really think mail carriers need to be appreciated a bit more!
smile.gif

Applied to about 30 schools out of desperation
So far as of 2/5/01

I got rejected from Cornell, Vermont, Virginia, G.Washington, G.Town, Rochester, Case Western, Upstate(Syracuse), Albany, U.Pittsburgh, Albert Einstein

Got an interview at MCP (rejected)

Hold for interview from Penn State, Buffalo, Downstate

No response from Chicago, Loyola, NY College of med, stony brook, jefferson, Tufts, temple, Johns Hopkins, Darthmouth, Mount Sinai,Boston U,

Am I really hopless ? or Did anyone hear from those schools I'm wating for some response?
Thanks

mr. md or do
did mcp give u a reason that why you were rejected? when did you interview there?

>No word, because they don't send out any >interview notifications until February
>(they're into prolonging the agony of >applicants):
>U Toronto
>U Ottawa
>U Western Ontario

Hey medgrrl, just wondering, but are you going to university in Canada right now? Also, given that we'd be applying as "international" students, how much harder would it be to get into a US school compared to one of the Ontario schools you listed above?

Are you sure that Jefferson does not send out interview invites until February? That is curious. I wonder why they would wait so long.

JeffS-
The short answer to your questions are:
1. I'm in U of T right now
2. We're basically in the same boat as "out-of-state" applicants, so if you do apply, make sure you apply to private (as opposed to "public") shools that accept a large %age of out-of-state applicants and you'll be fine (compare stats as far as acceptance rates for out-of-staters between schools).
As long as you're prepared to pay BIG $$$ for the privellege, it's worth a shot.

I can go into specifics about the pros/cons of American vs. Canadian schools. I did a lot of investingating about this before I applied to both, and I have a lot to say on the matter. I don't want to bore the Yanks on this message board though, but feel free to email me for specific details of the logic behind my decision.

Originally posted by MTY:
mr. md or do
did mcp give u a reason that why you were rejected? when did you interview there?

I had an interview at the end of October. It was the best interview ever, and i was so extremely confident about it that I didn't even study in that semester. Got about 3.0 gpa , then they sent me a letter during the winter break sometime in december, that "after careful evaluation", I was rejected. I mean, i thought i was in the same level as anyone else who got an interview, but apparently, that's not the case for this school. I don't particularly have a good status, so they rejected me, i believe.
No reason in the letter but mentioning that they reevaulated my whole profile again, after the interview.
That ruined my life...now that I have even less chance with that crappy gpa.

I'm still waiting to hear from a bunch of schools too...

Rejected:
Chicago Med
Albany
U of Rochester
Ohio State
Case Western
U of Vermont

Interview:
Wright State

on "hold" (whatever that means):
Rush University (Chicago)

STILL WAITING TO HEAR SOMETHING FROM:
Loyola
Boston U
Syracuse
Mt. Sinai
U of Cincinnati
Med. College of Ohio
NEOUCOM

Does anyone have any info about ANY of these schools? Are the classes filled yet? I'm starting to lose hope of obtaining more interviews since it's February....

I called Boston U. They already made a decision on my file, which was complete in Aug. They said they should be sending interview invites and rejection letters out real soon.

Did they tell you which letter that you will be receiving? The admissions secretary gladly told me that I would be receiving a swift kick to the pants in a few weeks. Oh well, I will wait to hear from other schools and hope for the best.

I received my rejection letter from BU yesterday. Go me!!! What about the rest of you?

Medgrrl: That's cool that we met. I hope things are going well with you and the postman.
wink.gif
Did you hear from NYU? Chi-Chi and I both got waitlisted.

I just finished my last interview of the bunch- I'm glad to hear that you both got into one place together... Still waiting on NYU. I'm probably the only person in the universe who was actually flat-out rejected from Columbia, though. (And there I thought my interview went pretty well..). BTW, how long did NYU take to give you their answer?

Can someone please post when they hear anything from the following schools:
NYMC
Tufts
St. Louis
Jefferson
MC Wisconsin
Creighton

Or when anyone has gotten off the "hold for interview" list at:
MCP Hahnemman
Loyola
Penn State

Thanks
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Shania (edited 03-07-2001).]

Shania-

I heard from Creighton in January and from Penn yesterday. I turned down both interviews, so hopefully that will open spots! The nice admissions man from Penn said they are just now starting to go through their hold list, and the class is definitely not full.

But like you, I haven't heard from Tufts, Jefferson, or Loyola. Very strange! I have pretty much given up on them. Good luck!

Shania -

I have not heard from Jefferson either. I was accepted at Medical College of WI on Nov. 31, I interviewed Nov. 17. I think there are spots still open, though I am not sure. Turnaround time from interview to informing applicants of accept/decline/hold status is very short, they discuss you on the following Thursday after you interview (that is, unless the following thursday is Thanksgiving, as it was in my case) and send out letters on Friday. they seem to have 1-2 interview days a month.
Hope this helps.

Has anyone heard from MCW's MD-PhD program?

Hi.. I got an interview invitation from SLU yesterday. My file was complete in September and I've been waiting a long time so I was pretty surprised! I'll probably decline the interview if I get into NYMC in the next few days cause I want to stay on the East Coast. Hope this helps.. No word from Jeff or Loyola here.

Medgrrl: I interviewed at the beginning of Jan at NYU and I heard from them the same day as Columbia. I think on the info that NYU gave us on interview day, they say that they send out most of their letters out on Feb. 15. If your interview was too close to that date, then I am not sure how they do it. Good luck...Chi-Chi and I are w/drawing from their waitlist.

Okay, I'll share my latest scoresheet:

Accepted: Chicago Med

Waiting after Interview: Pitt, UCLA, USC

Rejected w/o Interview: Dartmouth, Duke, Pritzker, UC Davis, Stanford

"On Hold": UCSD, UCI

Still Waiting for Response: MCW, UCSF, Washington U, Boston, Penn

Hey folks.

Looks like I FINALLY found the right topic! So, here's my 2 cents. If anyone has heard from the ones that I haven't heard from, let me know.

REJECTED: (this is almost therapeutic...)

Albany
Chicago Medical
Florida
Dartmouth
S. Florida
Duke
Georgetown (** this was a good one. They actually had the nerve to postdate the "Your file is complete" card and the "After careful review of your application..." letter on the SAME DAY!!)
Northwestern
Rochester
Temple
Vermont
UVA

STILL WAITING ON INTERVIEW (and when admissions says they stop interviewing):

Miami (They stop 3/19)
NY Medical (April)
U Penn (Pretty sure they're done)
Tufts (May)
Sinai (April)
Jefferson (April)
PCOM (April)

INTERVIEWED ALREADY, WAITING:
Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland.

Good luck all! Cheers.

This is fun, I think I'll join in. Any info on these schools is of course appreciated.

REJECTED:
Rochester
Case Western
Albany
BU
Ohio State
Chicago Med
UVM

INTERVIEWED AND WAITING:
Wright State
U of Cincinnati

NOT A WORD:
Mt. Sinai
SUNY Syracuse
Loyola (I know they don't send out rejections until April)
Rush ("on hold for interview" for a while now)
Medical College of Ohio
NEOUCOM

This waiting is driving me crazy! Thank goodness for SDN forums.
smile.gif

------------------
Amy
University of Rochester, class of 2001

[This message has been edited by Amitha726 (edited 03-05-2001).]

Here's a little info for those of you waiting for interviews:

Jefferson: Through mid-April, will give "two weeks" notice.

Sinai: Through April 17, will give "a few weeks" notice.

Miami: March 18, notice depends on committee meetings.

Good luck!

Let me add my list to the mix, so we can figure out where hope still exists:

hold for interview:
penn state
temple (after a weird letter)

rejected:
boston
university of rochester
albert einstein
georgetown
gw
case
UofC
tulane

still waiting:
johns hopkins
upenn (they stopped interviewing though)
uofMich
jefferson
usc
mt sinai
creigton
tufts

Hope that helps!

Here are mine again....

Interviewed, Waitlisted:
U of Florida
Florida State
Eastern Virginia

Interviewed, Waiting:
U of South Florida

Haven't heard a word:
Miami
U of South Alabama
U of New England

Mustafa,

I wouldn't say you were screwed per se, but applying after taking the August MCATs does put you in somewhat of a disadvantage in applying, because they won't really even consider your application until your scores have arrived. This means that people who have scores from April or before will have an advantage. However, if you did well in your August MCATs, you still have a legitimate chance of getting in, assumming everything else is in place.

OK, here's my updated list:

Rejected outright (no interview):
G-town
UVM
Chicago Med
U Chicago-Pritzker
Pitt
Albany
Einstein
Nebraska
Dartmouth
MCV/VCU (after being on hold for a VERY long time)
BU

Hold for interview:
Temple (expect rejection later on)

Waitlisted after interview:
Penn State
MCP-Hahnemann

Interviewed and waiting:
NYMC (expect to be waitlisted because it has been so long since my interview
frown.gif
)
Tufts
GWU

Will interview in March:
Maryland
Saint Louis U

No word:
Loyola
Emory (probably rejected)
Jefferson

ok, so i'm a newbie on this board, but i figured this would be a good place to start. here's my list.....wow, i've gotten used to rejection. this doesn't even bother me anymore.

Rejected w/o interview:
Harvard
NYU
Cornell
Tulane
UCSF
UCLA
USC

Interviewed:
UVA (accepted <week later)
Columbia (flat-out rejected....i feel like i'm the only one)
Wash U
Vandy
Emory
Georgetown
MCV (declined)

No word (probably rejections):
Yale
Penn
Hopkins
Stanford

so i really wasn't impressed with the students i met at wash u.....i thought they were a little, well, odd. did anyone else have the same impression? i loved vandy and emory.....should be hearing from them in a couple weeks. does anyone have any thoughts on UVA? i didn't get a chance to meet many students, and i was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the subject? oh, and good luck with this nightmarish waiting game!

Here is my list to add to the bunch.
Rejected w/o interview:
UCLA, UCDavis, Stanford
Interviewed:
USC
Will interview:
UCI, Temple, Meharry in March
On Hold for interview: UCSD

No word from after secoundaries
UCSF, George Washington and Drew.

After looking at the combinations of various application status. The process appears so random and without form...Almost like a lottery. So good luck...

I'm now a first-year med student, but I had an unusual admissions season last year... this is what happened to me:

Rejected w/o interview:
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Dartmouth
Yale
Michigan
Northwestern (parents both alumni)
Baylor
Penn

Interview:
Duke (waitlist)
UVa (accepted)
Wake Forest (waitlist, withdrawn)
Wash U (undergrad, waitlist)
Hopkins (waitlist, accepted, matriculated)
Harvard-HST (waitlist)
NYU (accepted)
Columbia (waitlist)
Minnesota (declined)
N. Dakota (state school, declined)
Tulane (declined)

Kind of a weird "scoresheet" but I was very happy with the outcome. It **is** possible to get off of the infamous waiting list!

Even though I'm now a student at Hopkins, I was rejected by lots of schools where I thought I'd at least get an interview. Don't get discouraged!

Best of luck to everyone,
doepug

Thought I would update my situation thus far- I found out today that I'm on waitlists at NYU and Jefferson. Hurrah. I sent a letter telling NYU that they're my first choice, that I'd withdraw from any other school if I get in anywhere else, etc. (all true). I'm working up the nerve to do that for Jeff, cuz it really isn't my first choice at all. I think that's why I was waitlisted there even though my stats are way higher than their averages- it's b/c I couldn't lie when my interviewer asked me if I would choose Jeff over any of the New York schools I interviewed at (4, to be specific). I couldn't say "yes" without lying- I guess they figured "we'll put her on the waitlist and see how much interest she shows in us then!"

Hmmmmmmmm...
Here's my list:

Accepted:
Einstein
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
MCP Hahanemann

Waitlisted:
Georgetown
Tulane

Rejected w/o interview:
Harvard

Still waiting for interview:
Sinai
Hopkins
Yale
Penn (Are we *POSITIVE* they're done interviewing??? I'm a PA resident, and I was really keeping my fingers crossed...)

Good luck to all!!

--"The best things in life aren't things."

Upenn stopped interviewing on 2/10. They are done.
frown.gif

medgrrl...

I would double check the traffic rules before i sent two letters of intent. I think that the schools can see your status and filing two letters probably doesn't look so good.

Also, for the Loyola people out there, one of my girlfriends is going for an interview on Friday, so they aren't done yet!
smile.gif

Good Luck to all!