Who Retook Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TaylorGang

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I graduated from SMU in 2014 with a B.S. in Biochemistry and a minor in Psychology. My overall undergraduate GPA is a disappointing 3.2 and I took the MCAT once with minimal study and received a 23 (10 6 7). I have more than enough volunteer work, shadowed a a couple doctors and currently manage a toxicology lab. My main concern is my GPA as I know I can perform solid on the MCAT with proper study. I have currently been studying for the LSAT which has dramatically improved my reading comprehension and should improve my verbal reasoning section. My question to the experts out there is if I retake my 7 C's which were mostly obtained in my first year of college at a junior college, will medical schools average my grades? Or is that not even possible since that degree has closed and I have already walked the stage? I was talking to a close friend and he was telling me that is impossible. Once a degree is finished you cannot retake courses to improve GPA is what he is telling me. This is very important to me because I obviously don't want to retake these classes and get nothing out of it. Here is a list of the classes I got C's in:

History I
History II
Government I
Financial Accounting
Bio I
Genetics
Ochem II

I was thinking I can start studying for the MCAT again after the LSAT in Feb. and take it in the summer and then re-take all of these classes during the year as I apply to medical school. Does that even sound plausible? These classes would be easy re-takes for me and wouldn't require much study time. Obviously my back up plan is to start law school in the fall and pursue a career in either corporate law or patent law. However, I would enjoy practicing medicne more as that was my initial goal and what I really want to be doing in my future.
 
I retook classes when I was looking at DO. I retook a few of them something like 10 years after I took them originally and at a different school. It was quite easy to do. I'd retake all. Science is the priority of course, but you have a non-science/overall grade as well.
 
Here is a list of the classes I got C's in:

History I
History II
Government I
Financial Accounting
Bio I
Genetics
Ochem II


I was thinking I can start studying for the MCAT again after the LSAT in Feb. and take it in the summer and then re-take all of these classes during the year as I apply to medical school. Does that even sound plausible? These classes would be easy re-takes for me and wouldn't require much study time. Obviously my back up plan is to start law school in the fall and pursue a career in either corporate law or patent law. However, I would enjoy practicing medicne more as that was my initial goal and what I really want to be doing in my future.

Just curious why you think these courses will be "easy re-takes" and won't require much study time?