Who should I meet with to let them know they are my first choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxman310

TheManWithAPlan
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing an away and want to schedule a meeting to let my away know that they are my first choice. Who do I meet with, the program director or the chair? I know at my school that's the same person, but I don't think thats the case everywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

PD for sure. Chair too. I think it's a good idea as long as it's sincerely done. Good luck.

Program director and chair, definitely. The sooner, the better. Show some balls -- set up a time to meet with them upon medical school matriculation... better yet, pre-med. Let them know that you're coming... and hell's coming with ya'...

Seriously, just meet with the power players after your rotation and that should suffice.

Members don't see this ad :)
in my experience, telling a program they're your first choice usually occurs during or following the interview season... after you've seen all of your options. i guess depending on your circumstances it's possible to be sure at this point in the season. i'd speak with the PD.

From my experience it is a post-interview activity, as well as something one can mention during the interview (as stated by werd). Some programs will call you if they ranked you to match. Likewise, you can call/mail them. Personally, I would like to see the applicant in person prior to hearing how they will rank the program I am involved in. This way both parties have had a real chance to get to know each other in person.

Now if your first rank is going to be your home program the situation is entirely different, as they already know you fairly well (or at least should).