Who thought Aug 2006 MCAT was DIFFICULT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

instigata

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's try this again :)

Members don't see this ad.

I had form CG and the PS was A LOT harder than any of my practice tests. I was totally blown away. I thought verbal wasn't too bad despite my shaky performance on my practice tests. My friend who had the same form as me thought the BS wasn't bad, but I thought it was pretty hard. O well... One more thing I think totally screwed me was that I didn't finish any of the 3 sections. Usually I finish PS and BS, but this time I was a couple of questions short of it. Can't wait till the 13th/14th!

I had CM and the physical sciences was out of this world hard for me,..it was my weakest area but I still consider the section much harder than the practice tests.

I found verbal fair.

I found about half of bio to be harder than usual, but nothing like physical sciences. The bio had a lot of comprehension questions/new information.

Yes I found it hard, but the only score I am worrying about is PS.

I thought the BS was hard. It had too many genetic questions in there and those genetic questions are not simple genetics. I didn't finish that section. Had to guess two passages.

I am a physics guy so I know my physics well. However, there are 2 physics questions on the PS I have no idea what they are talking about. Had to guess.

I suck on the VR. So I am sure I did not do well in this section.

Members don't see this ad :)
How DARE you say it was difficult???? I find the word difficult offensive and rude, it has such an appalling and negative connotation. In the future - consider the feelings of those around you and say "slightly less than easy."

Close the thread! Close the thread! I can't deal with reality and believe everything should be PC according to my rules and regulations! :(

(sorry - but come on - they DELETED the other thread - OVER NOTHING)

How DARE you say it was difficult???? I find the word difficult offensive and rude, it has such an appalling and negative connotation. In the future - consider the feelings of those around you and say "slightly less than easy."

Close the thread! Close the thread! I can't deal with reality and believe everything should be PC according to my rules and regulations! :(

(sorry - but come on - they DELETED the other thread - OVER NOTHING)

Are you surprised that there are people in this world who are so PC that it's almost absurd?

Are you surprised that there are people in this world who are so PC that it's almost absurd?
No, I guess I'm just disapointed that they haven't either been weeded out of the gene pool or developed their own island where they won't have to have anything offend their ears.

I had CM and the physical sciences was out of this world hard for me,..it was my weakest area but I still consider the section much harder than the practice tests.

I found verbal fair.

I found about half of bio to be harder than usual, but nothing like physical sciences. The bio had a lot of comprehension questions/new information.

Yes I found it hard, but the only score I am worrying about is PS.

I had form CR, and I feel the exact same way about everything you said. Stupid PS.

I am normally not very PC, but I do find it offensive when people use the word "rape" in such a casual manner. I have a close friend who was raped and I know that every time she hears the word casually thrown around it brings back terrible memories of the incident and the pain that it has caused her. Now I believe in free speech yada yada, and I don't think it is any individual's responsibility to censor their speech in order to avoid unknowingly offending others, I just think that there is no need to use the word "rape" in such a casual manner. I think the same applies for the words "kill", "murder", etc.

Even though there is perhaps no moral imperative to abstain from using these words, I think it is in the best interests of promoting a more civilized society that we refuse to coopt lurid descriptions of heinous acts to describe trivial events like standardized tests.

/rant

I am normally not very PC, but I do find it offensive when people use the word "rape" in such a casual manner. I have a close friend who was raped and I know that every time she hears the word casually thrown around it brings back terrible memories of the incident and the pain that it has caused her. Now I believe in free speech yada yada, and I don't think it is any individual's responsibility to censor their speech in order to avoid unknowingly offending others, I just think that there is no need to use the word "rape" in such a casual manner. I think the same applies for the words "kill", "murder", etc.

Even though there is perhaps no moral imperative to abstain from using these words, I think it is in the best interests of promoting a more civilized society that we refuse to coopt lurid descriptions of heinous acts to describe trivial events like standardized tests.

/rant

Solitude,

I agree that there should be a certain level of mutual respect and civility between people. I also think using "rape" to describe a very difficult test is inappropriate and a complete misuse of the word. It is similar to those who bandy around terms like "Nazi" or "******" without a second thought, completely disregarding the significant baggage that is associated with them.

...but that said, this is the internets, where people can easily write and say what they want because the medium provides a certain level of cowardly anonymity. It's a lost cause. :thumbdown:

"It is said that those who use profanity just have a poor vocabulary"

The above quote was taken from a friend's facebook wall.

I think it applies to this debate.

/rant

I agree, and I'm also not very easily offended. It does NOT bother me to use kill or murder in relation to an exam but somehow "rape" does offend me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year there was a psycho chick who posted how getting a bad MCAT Score was worse then getting sexually raped. She was just disgustingly disturbed.

The other thread was closed because it was really going down the wrong path and resulted in completely disturbing and uncalled for posts.

Just stay on topic in this thread - no personal attacks please. :)

One of my friend's nephews is a "rape baby" and one of my other friend's brother was murdered in his apartment because the robbers found he had no money on him.

With that said, we all use the words in other contexts and are not offended by it. It's pretty sad that people in today's world get easily offended. Why even come on the internet where everything is magnified by 1000?

VR was difficult.

No, I guess I'm just disapointed that they haven't either been weeded out of the gene pool or developed their own island where they won't have to have anything offend their ears.

It's funny that you guys say this, but I don't see you complaining the fact that you can't cuss on here. Why? Because the you'd be banned. Why? Because it's an open forum, yet still someone's "property," so they can establish rules.

That said, I'm sure it is in the guidelines to try not to overly offend people. People might be offended if I said that the MCAT was a real Holocaust or a total Columbine, just as people can be offended by flimsy use of the word "rape."

This isn't the public domain - it's a forum with established rules.

It's funny that you guys say this, but I don't see you complaining the fact that you can't cuss on here. Why? Because the you'd be banned. Why? Because it's an open forum, yet still someone's "property," so they can establish rules.

That said, I'm sure it is in the guidelines to try not to overly offend people. People might be offended if I said that the MCAT was a real Holocaust or a total Columbine, just as people can be offended by flimsy use of the word "rape."

This isn't the public domain - it's a forum with established rules.

You can cuss on here - the program just makes it into this ****.

And the fact that it is a forum with rules is fine. I will abide by those rules. But that doesn't change the fact that I think its ridiculous and immature that people freak out over small things so badly. Especially when it is something so open to opinion.

I can find it offensive that so many people go around stroking their ego by rampantly posting their stats when its completely irrelevant. But I'm not about to bitch about it for 2 pages until a thread is closed and deleted.

You all fussing about the word 'rape' need to get over it. You fussing about how despicable, insensitive (whatever!) to use the word is really unjustifiable. You're doing more harm to your cause than good.

Back to topic.....

How do u guys still remember how difficult the test was? I remembered stuff from the test up until like 2 days after the test. But now, I barely remember taking that test let alone specifically remembering which sections were difficult. Gosh! I thought I did well after the test but you guys are starting to freak me out now! :scared:

Walking on campus one hears a lot of things-language similar to the ones of concern here and a few harsher ones. What do we do?. We just walk on and away! We don't join that group and start debating on what's right and what's wrong-atleast as far as I know. Isn't this forum, or for that matter, any other forum similar? If I am not comfortable, I leave and spend my time on something more relevant and useful to me.

Anyway, I found August 2006 challenging. With just a week to go, good luck folks. :luck:

Don't all the forms have all the same questions, with the only difference between the form variants being the order of the questions? And just for thought, that Stuffff dude who got banned for trolling in the rape thread is going to be a doctor someday. :eek:

Don't all the forms have all the same questions, with the only difference between the form variants being the order of the questions? And just for thought, that Stuffff dude who got banned for trolling in the rape thread is going to be a doctor someday. :eek:

No while some questions may be the same on some forms there are actually different questions and passages on the various forms.

I know that the experimental passages don't count towards our score, but aren't you guys curious how it really affects your score? Especially for the ones that guessed on some passages. What if you answered the experimental passage, but guessed on the ones that do count towards your score? There's something not right about that.

Walking on campus one hears a lot of things-language similar to the ones of concern here and a few harsher ones. What do we do?. We just walk on and away! We don't join that group and start debating on what's right and what's wrong-atleast as far as I know. Isn't this forum, or for that matter, any other forum similar? If I am not comfortable, I leave and spend my time on something more relevant and useful to me.

Anyway, I found August 2006 challenging. With just a week to go, good luck folks. :luck:

what a train wreck. and i know people will leave if they aren't comfortable--i'm sure that is the whole goal of the mcat forum:rolleyes: thankfully i'm not going anywhere--you all could use a voice of reason.

I don't remember what test I had(CH or something maybe?) Anyway, while PS and BS were pretty nice, VR was terrible... There was some crazy philosophy section at the end of it that was sooo deep for my tired mind.

It sucks because VR is usually a good section for me on the practice exams. I talked to some other people who took the same section, however, and they not only agreed about VR being hard, but seemed to think it was significantly harder than some of the others after talking to people who took different versions. Whatever, just bring me my scores...

FH here

prostate, neuro, ships and china, fat and buoyancy

that's all i remember :confused:

I had form BS, it all pretty much a blur except...

zebrafish.jpg

I had CJ.. and I can remember a lot of stuff from my exam.. don't know if thats good or bad :oops:

PS was terrible, ran out of time for the first time ever, VR was okay-easier than most tests actually, BS was difficult but not brutal. I'm just hoping and praying for the best.

Zebrafish, monkeys trying to smell alcohol in fruits, BP and circulation and penetrance rate... yes all that nice stuff :rolleyes:

I had form EG.

Physical Sciences: I thought this section wasn't too hard or too easy. It was pretty intermediate, although it did have some unexpected angular rotation questions.

Verbal: I thought verbal was quite fair. There were no super difficult passages, and the questions were pretty tame.

Biological Sciences: I thought this section was the worst by far. I'm a biology major, and considered biology my forte going into the exam. Boy was I in for a surprise. This section mostly centered around genetics and molecular biology. It also contained, if I remember, the same number of organic chem passages as it did biology passages. The passages, I feel, were conceptually difficult, and contained multiple graphs which had to be deciphered. Overall, a killer section.

Hey all...
Not sure whether it is right to nitpick but I will anyways, I think that is rather interesting that you acknowledge "rape" and the other words as non-PC but in talking about a previous posted gujuDOC used the word "psycho" in describing her. As aspiring physicians we should all be aware of the negative connotations associated with that word (and other ones) that we casually throw around. Many feel it is in the same class as calling someone a "******". Ditto with the word " schizo".
Just my two cents...
oh ya, MCAT challenging for sure. We'll see soon enough, no use speculating I guess.

I had form EG.

Physical Sciences: I thought this section wasn't too hard or too easy. It was pretty intermediate, although it did have some unexpected angular rotation questions.

Verbal: I thought verbal was quite fair. There were no super difficult passages, and the questions were pretty tame.

Biological Sciences: I thought this section was the worst by far. I'm a biology major, and considered biology my forte going into the exam. Boy was I in for a surprise. This section mostly centered around genetics and molecular biology. It also contained, if I remember, the same number of organic chem passages as it did biology passages. The passages, I feel, were conceptually difficult, and contained multiple graphs which had to be deciphered. Overall, a killer section.

Interesting. I had EM and you had EG, which I thought meant that we had the same questions but in a different order. I don't remember anything on angular rotation. There was a magnetic fields of the earth related section and some stuff with a but of partial pressure experiments.

Also, I thought verbal was very hard, PS was not terrible, and bio was genetics heavy, but no terrible....

VR is really what has me worried as hell. It scares me that you think it was easy. YIPES!

I don't remember what test I had(CH or something maybe?) Anyway, while PS and BS were pretty nice, VR was terrible... There was some crazy philosophy section at the end of it that was sooo deep for my tired mind.

It sucks because VR is usually a good section for me on the practice exams. I talked to some other people who took the same section, however, and they not only agreed about VR being hard, but seemed to think it was significantly harder than some of the others after talking to people who took different versions. Whatever, just bring me my scores...

I definently agree with you. I had the same test version and the BS and PS sections weren't bad at all. But I had no idea what half the passages were talking about in the VR. Here's to hoping I do better on it than I thought I would.

I had form BG

PS: Totally freaked out on the first passage (and it was EASY). I just freaked out and blanked. I think I stared at it for 5 minutes and couldn't do anything. Moved on to the next passage (on chemistry) and calmed down. Went back to 1st passage and finished those ones off. Don't think I had that much difficulty, other than a few tricky ones, such as the solar panel questions and one or two related to the elevator.

VR: Went well until the end. The ASL passage was ridiculous - it didn't make sense to me. Might've also screwed up a few on pastoralism.

BS: Everything was great except for the heart q's. Glad I spent time in a genetics lab, really helped since there were SO MANY genetics problems. Organic chem passages were a joke.

Honestly, I'll be peeing my pants with joy if I get 10/9/10 :(

I had form BG

PS: Totally freaked out on the first passage (and it was EASY). I just freaked out and blanked. I think I stared at it for 5 minutes and couldn't do anything. Moved on to the next passage (on chemistry) and calmed down. Went back to 1st passage and finished those ones off. Don't think I had that much difficulty, other than a few tricky ones, such as the solar panel questions and one or two related to the elevator.

VR: Went well until the end. The ASL passage was ridiculous - it didn't make sense to me. Might've also screwed up a few on pastoralism.

BS: Everything was great except for the heart q's. Glad I spent time in a genetics lab, really helped since there were SO MANY genetics problems. Organic chem passages were a joke.

Honestly, I'll be peeing my pants with joy if I get 10/9/10 :(

those linked vs unlinked questions were really tough. VR was really painful. PS was a breeze for me. those orgo Q's weren't that easy.

Had form DK (which no one seemed to have):

PS: Pretty easy I thought. Hoping for 13+
VR: Difficult, changed several of my answers near the end, I'm hoping for at least a 10.
BS: I don't really know - there were a few that stumped me, but many of them I felt confident on. I'd love a 13, but I have no prediction for this one.

However, I truly think that I wouldn't have done better even if I had more time to prepare. The questions that I potentially messed up weren't because I didn't know the material, just because the test was hard...I don't know, I find comfort thinking that I was prepared and that I couldn't have done better if I had "maybe tried harder".

I'm really really hoping for 13,11,13, but would be happy with anything 35+.

That said, I'm sure it is in the guidelines to try not to overly offend people. People might be offended if I said that the MCAT was a real Holocaust or a total Columbine, just as people can be offended by flimsy use of the word "rape." QUOTE]

:smuggrin: Oh that's funny... I like that. I'm sure that wasn't the point though.

The MCAT was difficult, IMO. I started of the PS section going, hey this great! This is everything I've been studying, I've done this a hundred times... then BAM I turn to the passage that involved solar panels???????? WTF I don't understand what that passage was going for even now. So I was actually a little rattled when I got to the VR. Normally I kick some VR booty (is that PC???) but this time it seemed difficult & I was rushing... blah... The BS actually seemed pretty good to me this time. It was like a breath of fresh air... or as much of fresh air as you can get while taking the MCAT.

Six more days......

Had form DK (which no one seemed to have):

PS: Pretty easy I thought. Hoping for 13+
VR: Difficult, changed several of my answers near the end, I'm hoping for at least a 10.
BS: I don't really know - there were a few that stumped me, but many of them I felt confident on. I'd love a 13, but I have no prediction for this one.

However, I truly think that I wouldn't have done better even if I had more time to prepare. The questions that I potentially messed up weren't because I didn't know the material, just because the test was hard...I don't know, I find comfort thinking that I was prepared and that I couldn't have done better if I had "maybe tried harder".

I'm really really hoping for 13,11,13, but would be happy with anything 35+.
i feel pretty much the same way :thumbup:

That said, I'm sure it is in the guidelines to try not to overly offend people. People might be offended if I said that the MCAT was a real Holocaust or a total Columbine, just as people can be offended by flimsy use of the word "rape." QUOTE]

:smuggrin: Oh that's funny... I like that. I'm sure that wasn't the point though.

The MCAT was difficult, IMO. I started of the PS section going, hey this great! This is everything I've been studying, I've done this a hundred times... then BAM I turn to the passage that involved solar panels???????? WTF I don't understand what that passage was going for even now. So I was actually a little rattled when I got to the VR. Normally I kick some VR booty (is that PC???) but this time it seemed difficult & I was rushing... blah... The BS actually seemed pretty good to me this time. It was like a breath of fresh air... or as much of fresh air as you can get while taking the MCAT.

Six more days......

Did you have for CG? I remember a Radiator (solar panel?) question that was insane!

I HATED the solar panel question-b's down the board for that one.

Is it Saturday yet? I really want to get this over with :eek:

I thought the PS was unfair, the VR was legit, and the BS was too easy. I had form CK and I also had the solar panel/radiator passage, which was the last one I did. Oh yes, I failed it miserably.