Who thought CK was hard but did okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mizzrazmatazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone who took CK and felt pretty crappy coming out of the test ended up doing okay? Now, I'm not talking about those who say coming out of every exam they did badly and end up at top because they are normally good test takers. I'm curious to see if anyone has a story where they felt like they went in prepared, but felt really unsure about a handful of their answers, frantically switching answers at the last minute and then ended up doing okay and was pleasantly surprised by their score? I need some hope because this is how I felt when I took mine! Felt great going in, then felt sucker punched coming out! Now all I can think of are answers I must've gotten wrong!:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

wow my friend, I am right there along with you and am hoping for some SDN encouragement. Traditionally I am a good test taker and walked into CK feeling pretty good after a seemingly high yield 3 weeks of prep, but alas I walked out feeling like crap. seriously i only felt like I laced one block...all of the rest I had flagged a ton of questions and really struggled b/w answer choices on some of them. so man you're not alone......

i came out feeling like i hadn't broke 230 and i got 258, so the feeling is meaningless. I had so many bs questions in the last few sections, just wore me down. And I am a VERY slow reader, so I almost never have time to go back and check questions that I've put a mark on. I was down about that too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was harder than everyone (on SDN and at my school) made it out to be. People always said that you really didn't have to study for it, etc...long story short, I ended up doing fine.

Dude....believe me when I tell you that my exam was impossible....it was much harder than USMLEWORLD and I came out thinking that I wouldn't even break a 200. To add to that, I ran out of time during my 2nd and 3rd blocks and had to mark all C's without even looking at the question in about 8 to 10 questions total. Also, I didn't have time to go back and check my answers in any of the blocks. My nbme scores were as follows:
NBME 1: 239 6 wks before the exam
NBME 2: 237 3 wks before the exam
NBME 3: 233 1 wk before the exam

STEP 2: 243/99

Don't ask me how I got that score. If the USMLE people call me today and tell me that they sent me the wrong score report, I won't be surprised.
Moral of the story: You can speculate all you want, but you won't know how the hell you did until you get your score.

I definitely walked out feeling miserable. I walked around for the next week moping and whining. I really though my Step 2 would go down. When my score got posted, I was shocked, it went up 23 points from Step 1.

I can totally relate. I took CK a week and a half ago and walked out feeling like garbage. I have never run out of time on a test before, not on any of the shelf exams, not on Step 1. But I ran out of time during 3 blocks on CK. I thought the questions were just as hard as, if not harder than USMLE World. I am now awaiting my score on pins and needles. I took it early because everyone else I know (and I mean everyone) said how easy it was and how simple and straightforward the questions were. I did okay on step 1 and didn't want to f-up my chances of getting into a program with a lousy CK score. I rolled the dice and now I'm biting my nails waiting to see if I'll pay the price. But yeah, I felt like crap walking out of the test, almost in tears and that uh, never happens.

I can totally relate. I took CK a week and a half ago and walked out feeling like garbage. I have never run out of time on a test before, not on any of the shelf exams, not on Step 1. But I ran out of time during 3 blocks on CK. I thought the questions were just as hard as, if not harder than USMLE World. I am now awaiting my score on pins and needles. I took it early because everyone else I know (and I mean everyone) said how easy it was and how simple and straightforward the questions were. I did okay on step 1 and didn't want to f-up my chances of getting into a program with a lousy CK score. I rolled the dice and now I'm biting my nails waiting to see if I'll pay the price. But yeah, I felt like crap walking out of the test, almost in tears and that uh, never happens.

I was totally in the same boat as you Cap'n, I walked out feeling like WTF I think I studied for the wrong test for the past 4 weeks. I did all of USMLE World and thought the real thing was waaaaaaay more difficult, ran out of time on the first block which ruined my confidence for the rest of the test. I almost shat myself when I got my score of 99 so I doubt you have much to worry about. You'll be fine, good luck!

i thought UW was harder than CK, so i hope this doesn't backfire on me for thinking such thoughts. oh well.

thought CK was at least as hard as UW, after exam was questioning whether or not i did worse than step 1 (210(85)), when the only reason i took it early was to do better! much relief 3 weeks later (232(96)). even so i was not happy with all the folksa who told me how easy CK was compared to step 1!

Any of you who posted on this check your score yet? I haven't checked mine and I'm scared to, so I'm wondering how you all did. I hope we were all wrong about the way we felt when we left. Let me know! Good Luck!

dude, go check it! I am sure you did fine. I thought I could have failed (see my other posts...I know from experience) but I did fine.

Best of luck!

You can see my post above... Step 2 Ck was a bad experience, I left thinking I'd failed - basically almost in tears. Got my score last night and don't believe it... I do have proof of a higher power because there is NO WAY I could have do it on my own... I don't want to post it because I'm afraid in some weird superstitious way that I will somehow jinx it... (email from NBME saying it's a mistake, that I actually failed, I'm sure we've all been there).

Suffice it to say I did well, improved over 20 points from Step 1. Happy ending to the story. :)

Good luck everyone.

I went to dinner with a friend the night of the exam, and I remembered a TON of questions that I knew I had missed. Even more that I switched between 2 answers at the last minute, totally unsure which to pick.

During the exam, I had 2 blocks that felt pretty good, 2 that felt very bad, and the rest were somewhere between.

I ended up scoring average, but that was a 35 point improvement over Step 1 for me.