1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Who's bored after deciding on a school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Eraserhead, Apr 21, 2004.

1. What the hell do I do with my spare neuroticism now?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Start random threads ;)

4. emily69

emily69 going a bit crazy here
    7+ Year Member

Search the internet for cheaper cell phone deals, cheaper auto insurance quotes, figure out the best deals for an apartment, figure out financial aid related stuff... I could think of a million annoying tasks that would appeal to a neurotic mind. Having one of those heads myself, and having decided where I'll be at for 4 years, I feel your concern ;)

5. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

check out the "design your own rejection letter" thread.... some funny stuff

6. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I know exactly what you mean! I still neurotically read SDN...but now I dont think I get as much out of it.

7. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    seriously - pre-allo bores me more than ever now - maybe that'll change when the new cycle of interviewing starts and I can harrass people as a med student.

I spend way to much time on the internet now - I hope that bad habit doesn't follow me to school.

8. Did (most) of that already... haha...

9. Yeah I'm constantly logging in and checking this out of habit, but reading it just makes me feel nervous. Maybe I should quit and stick to the lounge.

10. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

You can try to keep the "Official UCSD Class of '08" thread alive with me. You can also try to guess whether I'm white, asian, black, etc.

11. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

C'mon man, stick it out for Cornell! :)

12. LMAO... OK... did you have a blue shirt on??

13. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

I honestly forgot what I was wearing that day. I was tired from waking up early so I just put on whatever was laying around and didn't pay much attention.

By the way, don't you like our potential class? It's just like UCSD undergrad--all white and asian. By the year 2020, everyone in the UC system will be half white and half asian. (I'm still not for affirmative action though.)

14. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    asian.....

15. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

Playing the percentages I see. If you guess white or asian, you've probably got like a 90% chance of being correct. Don't forget the possibility of mixtures though! (Not to imply that I'm mixed) :)

16. :laugh: :laugh: Yeah, I have to admit that was disappointing (there were like 2 AA's and maybe a few Latino kids?) versus places like Cornell that looked like a UN meeting... but I'm OK with it. To me public schools are less about a creating a diverse utopia and more about training physicians from the state to serve the state in the future. We are going to kick ass.

17. So you're white/asian/AA/ and hispanic?

18. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

Yeah. Let the private schools worry about that stuff. We're all about training the best physicians for California baby! If every doctor is named McCormick, Stevens, Wong, or Wu, so be it! :laugh:

19. emily69

7+ Year Member

I'm proud to say that USC has 17% URMs!!! I'm an ORM if anything but I think it's great that we have a substantial number of URM students compared to some schools. Many of these URM students have language skills that are important to communicate with a great part of the LA patient population.

20. UCSD has people that "speak" ASL :) We are uber-diverse I think.

21. emily69

7+ Year Member

:) I speak a little Latin and some Hindi as well as Japanese. I don't think I count as a URM though ;)

22. hoping2004

hoping2004 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i wasn't able to make the UCSD Second Look!! darn :( anyway, eraserhead and alex, how WAS it?? how'd the future class look? nice, cool, relaxed, enthusiastic?? how many people were there? did you enjoy the conversations with them? what age range were the students?? how were the presentations by the deans?? i am so psyched about that place, tell me more tell me more!!

23. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

It exceeded my expectations. I think having an antomy dissection demonstration really livened up the day for me (along with the guy that fainted.) The future class seemed like people I could potentially get along with (that's saying a lot for a guy like me). :D I'd estimate maybe about 60 people or so were there. Maybe 55 of them were white or asian. Haha.

24. Who were you???????

Yeah I agree the anatomy stuff was cool although we have to wait another year to do it.... learning about the summer program and deciding to do it was the highlight. Everybody seemed really young and school focused, not much non-traditional-ness....

25. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

It is kinda discouraging. At UCLA's second look weekend, there are a solid % of Persian/Armenian, so it's a bit better...but there are really not many blacks or Hispanics