Who's going to GW in the fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garcnd6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw up a thread to see if anyone would be in DC beginning in the fall! Please note your department/concentration as well :)

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted to GW for Fall of 2010 and it is my first choice! I should be attending; I just have to find a way to pay for it! I will be in the mph in health policy program. What about you??

I just got accepted to GW for Fall of 2010 and it is my first choice! I should be attending; I just have to find a way to pay for it! I will be in the mph in health policy program. What about you??

awesome :) Community Oriented Primary Care-- I'm so excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Morehouseman327: I'm applying to the Health Policy program @ GW. Turned in my secondary application today. Would you mind telling me what your stats are? I'm really anxious to know if I am a competitive applicant. . . Thanks!

Morehouseman327: I'm applying to the Health Policy program @ GW. Turned in my secondary application today. Would you mind telling me what your stats are? I'm really anxious to know if I am a competitive applicant. . . Thanks!

vaxjobikerider, that is exciting to hear that you are applying to the same program as me at GW!

Here are my stats: 3.3 GPA from Morehouse College, GRE: 370 Verbal 460 Quantitative 4.5 Writing (Not a very good standardized test taker), work experience/internship with the National Institutes of Health, volunteer experience with a local health insurance company, strong personal statement, and strong letters of recommendation. I also visited GW and talked with faculty members before applying which also may have helped.

Is GW your top choice? I'm really excited about the program and would love to chat with you some more about it if you want or if you have anymore questions.

...then I should be going to GW in the Fall (COPC, as well)!! I'm going to their accepted students day in March, anyone else going?? I'm from Northern Virginia, so I know DC very well, and I know it's going to be a pain to find living. I'm used to paying $300 / month in Southwest Virginia so it's going to be different! Does anyone know what they're going to do for living? Anyone planning on living outside of DC and commuting?

...then I should be going to GW in the Fall (COPC, as well)!! I'm going to their accepted students day in March, anyone else going?? I'm from Northern Virginia, so I know DC very well, and I know it's going to be a pain to find living. I'm used to paying $300 / month in Southwest Virginia so it's going to be different! Does anyone know what they're going to do for living? Anyone planning on living outside of DC and commuting?

Congrats on your acceptance! I'll be at the Accepted Students Day in March which is also my birthday :) I'm from MD so I will be commuting back and forth for a while. If you happen to find any housing in or around the DC area that is relatively inexpensive please let me know!

I hope to go to GW in the fall..
Still waiting to hear from them though. Applied for MPH Global Health, (Design montioring and evaluation)
Its been 3 weeks since the admissions commitee had my app.
How long does it take?!! Impatient.

I was accepted into the maternal and child health program at GW and will also be visiting in March. I haven't seen anything about the program on here, have you guys heard anything about it specifically? I am still trying to decide on what school to go to and I am not sure if I want to do epidemiology or MCH.

Hey morehouseman: thanks for being open about your stats. Mine will probably be about the same as yours. GPA: 3.3 from George Mason University, BA, Psychology; GRE (taking in one week and am not a strong standardized test taker); Internship and was hired at The White House; Internship in Congress; several other political internships. Strong personal statement and recommendations. However, my only worry is that I don't have work experience/internships in the health-field. This is obviously what I want to learn more about and combine with the work I've done in government (policy).

I have not talked to any professors @ GW - how did you set this up? You found this helpful? GW is my top choice so I'm jealous you can be carefree until the fall -- congratulations! I would be just as excited as you . . . but don't want to get my hopes up!

Wow! Great thread topic!

When is the visit day in March scheduled?

Last edited:
I was accepted into the maternal and child health program at GW and will also be visiting in March. I haven't seen anything about the program on here, have you guys heard anything about it specifically? I am still trying to decide on what school to go to and I am not sure if I want to do epidemiology or MCH.

Hi!

I have been lurking on this forum for a while now and thought I would just make myself known.

I hope to begin at GW in the fall as well, with a concentration in Maternal and Child Health, but I am still waiting to hear back...

If you don't mind, livi37, what were your stats? And how long did it take for you to get a decision?

Hey morehouseman: thanks for being open about your stats. Mine will probably be about the same as yours. GPA: 3.3 from George Mason University, BA, Psychology; GRE (taking in one week and am not a strong standardized test taker); Internship and was hired at The White House; Internship in Congress; several other political internships. Strong personal statement and recommendations. However, my only worry is that I don't have work experience/internships in the health-field. This is obviously what I want to learn more about and combine with the work I've done in government (policy).

I have not talked to any professors @ GW - how did you set this up? You found this helpful? GW is my top choice so I'm jealous you can be carefree until the fall -- congratulations! I would be just as excited as you . . . but don't want to get my hopes up!

Hey vaxjobikerider: Wow..your stats do sound smiliar to mine. Congrats on your political internships..they sound really impressive. When I was in the process of applying, I was told by both the program director and a professor in the department that they do look for some type of public health experience for prospective students. I wouldn't worry too much...I think if your personal statement shows your passion for pubic health/health policy then that should be fine. I didn't realize you could take the GRE after you submit your secondary application, that's cool.

Regarding talking to professors...I actually e-mailed a few of them asking them questions and they all recommended that I set up a time and talk to them on the phone. Everyone I talked to has been very nice and knowledgeable which is a great sign! I also talked with the program director, Professor Burke, and even scheduled a quick visit with him when I toured the campus in Oct.

Thanks for the well wishes..I wish you all the best for a successful outcome!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will most likely be starting at GW in Fall. I was accepted to the MPH in GH Design etc. I was also accepted to Tulane's IHD and am considering that program. Does anyone know why one program may be better than the other? Also, does anyone know any current students and/or graduates from GW's MPH program. Thanks!

Hi!

I have been lurking on this forum for a while now and thought I would just make myself known.

I hope to begin at GW in the fall as well, with a concentration in Maternal and Child Health, but I am still waiting to hear back...

If you don't mind, livi37, what were your stats? And how long did it take for you to get a decision?
medecin4africa,

I have a 3.64 from the University of New Mexico with a BS in Biology (minor in Art History and Italian). I got a 1200 on the GRE, I don't remember the specifics. I have worked in several research labs (fungal endophytes, medicinal plants, grasslands, and the molecular genetics of hummingbirds), medical assistant, and currently I work as a student researcher in a telehealth Hepatitis C clinic. I also studied in Italy for a semester and I volunteer for Planned Parenthood. I hope you get your acceptance letter soon!!

I got the e-mail from Emily today!

Accepted to MCH with a grad certificate in COPC.

Just what a wanted! What a great day! :D

Did they put this in everyones acceptance letter?....
"The School of Public Health and Health Services Committee on Admissions has determined that you are among our top applicants because you so clearly demonstrated the ability, achievement, character, and motivation that we feel best fits our program."

Did they put this in everyones acceptance letter?....
"The School of Public Health and Health Services Committee on Admissions has determined that you are among our top applicants because you so clearly demonstrated the ability, achievement, character, and motivation that we feel best fits our program."

I sure hope not but, my acceptance letter said the same thing...:(

Are you attending the Admitted Students Open House on the 27th?

Got my acceptance today. Super excited! I will be attending the open house as well.

Has anyone received an invitation to the Open House on March 27th? My acceptance email mentioned the date and that I would receive a follow-up email. Thanks!

Hey morehouseman: I turned everything in to GWU this week so I'll let you know if I get in! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Emily just emailed me.. I got into the global health program. Yippee!
I haven't heard back from the other 2 schools(BU and USF) but I'm not interested anymore! First choice is pretty darn good.

Now to find accomodation....

Did you all receive your financial packet with your acceptance? Or have received it since then?

PA16: What kind of financial packet are you talking about?

To all: Does anyone know about any assistantship programs for the SPHHS? I know that the MHSA, MS in Exercise Science, and certain PhD students are eligible for teaching assistantships, but does anyone know about the rest of us? I was wondering if there are research assistantships available to people that are not in those specific programs. Thanks!!

I just got into GW Health Promotion. I dont know what to do, I have other options as well: USC, UC Irvine, and Boston Univ. Does anyone know of rankings or information on which program is best?

Thanks

Heres a question:
Where is everyone thinking of living?
I've started looking and I haven't found much..
The grad housing at GWU doesn't look promising either, wanted HOVA but they say they do not anticipate having many vacant apartments for 2010-2011. Sucks!

Plan B... off campus.

hey everyone! for those of you applying or accepted into GW's MPH health policy program, did you guys consider Hopkins MHS in health policy? Just curious if anyone had weighed the two programs and your thoughts.

hey everyone! for those of you applying or accepted into GW's MPH health policy program, did you guys consider Hopkins MHS in health policy? Just curious if anyone had weighed the two programs and your thoughts.
I currently work at Hopkins so I definitely looked into the MHS program there. I'm in infectious diseases so I can't really comment specifically on health policy. But I chose GW because the MHS at Hopkins is basically a full-time degree but at GW I can still work part-time. Price is not that much different. Obviously Hopkins is #1 in Public Health but GW is also highly respected and their faculty seem a little more accommodating than Hopkins. Being in DC means that GW has some really great relationships with goverment and non-profits too. I don't think there's much difference in the quality of the programs, it's just the Hopkins name carries more weight.

Hey guys, I'm not so sure if this is ok to post up here, but as it turns out, I've bought a condo in Northern VA, and I'm looking for a second person to move in with me. It's a two bedroom apartment, and it's right across the street from the Dunn-Loring / Merrifield Metro station in Fairfax, VA. I'll be posting more info on the GW off-campus housing website later, but I wanted to give a heads up to anyone that might need some housing!! Send me a message if you want more info. Thanks!!

Hey everyone!!

I just got my acceptance today!

I am so excited to be in the DC region.

I will also be doing the Health Policy program...

Just now...gotta worry about housing !! o_O...considering im overseas right now..

Last edited:
i have been accepted at yale for the advanced professional MPH management and policy. (11months)
I have applied to GW by feb the 3rd and until now i did not get an answer.
my husband lives in dc
Do u think yale is a better option?
Is it possible to get rejected by GW when u get into yale?
My backgrnd is MD,MCAT not so great 24.

You know, GW extended their app deadline. I've been so busy with work and looking for a new place to live (lease ending) that I thought all hope was lost. So I submitted my secondary app (health promotion) today. Fingers crossed! :xf:

Last edited:
Where will everyone be living? Did anyone get grad housing?

Thank you! I tried to send you a private message but I don't think it went through . . . My name is Shannon Moore and I go to George Mason University if you're on facebook.

As for housing, I will be commuting from NOVA until this winter and then I plan on moving closer in to the city..to the Arlington area.

Hi everyone! I was accepted into the GH-Design etc program! I've been looking every where for a forum that would connect me with other people that have been accepted! I even tried looking for fb groups hoping there would be one for our incoming class. Perhaps thats just too high schoolish :) anyways I'm super excited to meet everyone!

Last edited:
I got into the MHA program for 2010 and while I would love to go, I have no clue how in the world I can afford 53k a year... and they only give 20k of finaid! how is everyone paying for this?!

Has any1 began looking at classes or signing up? Or am I being too anxious? lol.

That and apartment searching shall keep me occupied for awhile.

I already signed up for classes! My Department sent me an email telling me to sign up for certain recommended classes about two weesk ago! I'm part of the Department of Global Health.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say this forum really helped me out, and I just decided on GWU for my MPH in Maternal and Child Health!

Is anyone else in this concentration?

I am looking for a place to stay/roomate/any information that would be helpful!

I am not from the area at all, so I'm pretty much starting with nothing.

Thanks