Who's taking orgo this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HipChick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering so we can lean and possibly cyber drink together???

I started Monday and have an exam this up coming Wednesday. Not sure on my prof yet, he sounds like a cross between the crocodile hunter and Austin powers.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting orgo 1 this summer. I've heard mixed feelings about this course.

When does your course start? I figured a support system was in order

Members don't see this ad :)
My class doesn't start until late June. I'll be spending my summer in the tutoring center.

I'm not. I'm not brave enough. I applaud you folks.

My class starts in ten days. At least based on ratemyprofessor.com, my prof. is nice, helpful, but incredibly hard. I'm presently reading through Organic Chemistry as a Second Language, hoping it helps.

If you're an auditory learner, try iTunes U; it really helped me!

Good :luck:

Last edited:
I am taking orgo 1 with lab summer A (started on the 7th) and orgo 2 with lab summer B. So far I cannot complain. It is overwhelming but I expected a lot worse.

Good luck, non-trads!

I'm an auditory learner personally, so I want to let you all at least check out something that helped me.

Here's a website that helped me with basic organic chemistry for a competition: http://www.khanacademy.org/

Just to let you know- it works! I won Regionals in that event and placed 7th in the state. It puts the material in simple terms that make sense.

Our first exam is Wednesday. What topics have you covered thus far?

Our first exam is Wednesday. What topics have you covered thus far?

We've done Lewis diagrams and MO and VSPER theory, nomenclature, formal charges, polarity, resonance structures, alkanes and alkyl groups, Newman projections, cycloalkanes, 6 functional groups, cyclohexane/chair conformations and ring-flipping, chirality/stereocenters, S or R form, isomers, stereoisomers and polarization of light, and we're doing the acid base stuff Tuesday before the test.

So far it's not too bad. What have you covered? Same stuff?

Last edited:
We've done Lewis diagrams and MO and VSPER theory, nomenclature, formal charges, polarity, resonance structures, alkanes/enes/ynes and alkyl groups, Newman projections, cycloalkanes, 6 functional groups, cyclohexane/chair conformations and ring-flipping, chirality/stereocenters, S or R form, isomers, stereoisomers and polarization of light, and we're doing the acid base stuff Tuesday before the test.

So far it's not too bad. What have you covered? Same stuff?

Wow! When did you start classes? We've gone over some basic inorgo stuff, functional groups, IR, mass spect,bonding and molecular structures, alkanes and stereochem. We have class m/w 8-12 and class started Monday may 7

Members don't see this ad :)
We started last Tuesday. 8 to 11:30. He expects us to use the book to teach ourselves whole chapters and just glosses over a whole bunch of material in lecture, lol.

I didn't realize how you're pretty much always in school with summer ochem. I knew it'd be intense from reading the posts here but seriously... no time for daydreaming or going off on tangents, delving deeply into the material like during the year. Not my preferred way to learn but I imagine the pace is equally/a lot more grueling in med school?

Good luck on your test, HipChick!!

My class starts in ten days. At least based on ratemyprofessor.com, my prof. is nice, helpful, but incredibly hard. I'm presently reading through Organic Chemistry as a Second Language, hoping it helps.

Klein is fantastic. I wouldn't rely exclusively on his book, but as a supplement to whatever textbook your course uses I think you'll find it very helpful. I used it occasionally to reinforce concepts and many of my classmates swore by it.

I'll probably be on SDN a lot this summer as application neuroticism sets in, so if you PM me with a question I can try and help.

Klein is fantastic. I wouldn't rely exclusively on his book, but as a supplement to whatever textbook your course uses I think you'll find it very helpful. I used it occasionally to reinforce concepts and many of my classmates swore by it.

I'll probably be on SDN a lot this summer as application neuroticism sets in, so if you PM me with a question I can try and help.

Hope you don't mind I took you up on that and pmed you.:laugh: Practice problem marathon! Stereochemistry is a beast.

Hey now! Just post on this thread that's why I made it sillies! The exam wasn't horrible. Made some stupid mistakes and as SOON as handed him the exam all of it came rushing back :/
Most if it was naming compounds from a skeleton or vice versa. As well as "circle and make the alkyl groups, functional groups" etc in this huge ass molecule then chem form and degrees of unsat.

I'm not sure exactly where this will fall in your orgo class (this semester or next), but here is a website that I found and it helped A LOT.

If you know the composition of a compound, you can put it in and it will give you IR, C NMR and H NMR readings. Make sure to pay attention to the exact configuration because it will usually give you a list of constitutional isomers and you have to figure out which one you want.

http://riodb01.ibase.aist.go.jp/sdbs/cgi-bin/cre_index.cgi

I am not associated with this page in any way, except for using it to check my work when we had a stack of unknowns and I needed to know which reading represented which unknown.

Best of luck to you! Orgo is a beast to say the least! Good luck to you and if your outcome isn't as desired, don't let it get you down!

Onwards!

I'm taking Organic 1 this summer (starting July) and it's a 10 week course. I'm also taking Physics 1 and Cell Bio at the same time. Oh, did I mention I'm also working full-time? I'm going to want to off myself. :( Very scared. Going to need a lot of support (and drinks) I think.

Good luck to you all! We can do it!

I'm taking Organic 1 this summer (starting July) and it's a 10 week course. I'm also taking Physics 1 and Cell Bio at the same time. Oh, did I mention I'm also working full-time? I'm going to want to off myself. :( Very scared. Going to need a lot of support (and drinks) I think.

So you are basically taking 22 credits?

Apparently I wasn't as prepared as I thought. I felt really good about it going in.... Not so much when I looked at my grade

Apparently I wasn't as prepared as I thought. I felt really good about it going in.... Not so much when I looked at my grade

Make sure you get a study group together ASAP. I took both Orgo 1 (B) and Orgo 2 (A) with labs within a summer and I couldn't have survived without my precious study group.

P.S. make sure you sit in the front row...

Make sure you get a study group together ASAP. I took both Orgo 1 (B) and Orgo 2 (A) with labs within a summer and I couldn't have survived without my precious study group.

P.S. make sure you sit in the front row...

I'd love to form a study group, but I'm at least an hour away and still working full time. I get up at 530 am to drive to my exs so he can go to work, name for about an hour, then get my daughter up and ready for school. Then I head straight to class for five hours, grab some fast food crap for lunch, and head back home. study and do the "normal" house hold stuff, then head to work. i get home from work about 10 m, study, then crash. and I'm not feeling the vibe of this class. I had a study group for physics and LOVED them, we still talk weekly and I'm in orgo with one of the girls from that group and will take physics 2 with another. I've offered/asked if i started a FB group if anyone would join... nada. I also offered to make a cell/text/email distribution list...nada.

I originally sat in the front, but I'm often, well... getting up to pee during class (morning coffee...) I'm sure the prof hates me :( I just get that vibe.

I mean I know when I usually do poorly on exams, but this one? Totally threw me off. I mean I was at least smack dab average.

I'd love to form a study group, but I'm at least an hour away and still working full time. I get up at 530 am to drive to my exs so he can go to work, name for about an hour, then get my daughter up and ready for school. Then I head straight to class for five hours, grab some fast food crap for lunch, and head back home. study and do the "normal" house hold stuff, then head to work. i get home from work about 10 m, study, then crash. and I'm not feeling the vibe of this class. I had a study group for physics and LOVED them, we still talk weekly and I'm in orgo with one of the girls from that group and will take physics 2 with another. I've offered/asked if i started a FB group if anyone would join... nada. I also offered to make a cell/text/email distribution list...nada.

I originally sat in the front, but I'm often, well... getting up to pee during class (morning coffee...) I'm sure the prof hates me :( I just get that vibe.

I mean I know when I usually do poorly on exams, but this one? Totally threw me off. I mean I was at least smack dab average.

Do you make flash cards? I think it's probably one of the best way to learning techniques out there, especially for organic chemistry.

I usually would spend an hour or two right after the class to make flash cards, this is a good way to reinforce yourself to recall the materials you just covered over in class. Also, make sure you go over your flash cards right BEFORE bed, and right AFTER you get up in the morning.

:eek: Seriously? Just some friendly unsolicited advice :laugh: - it's unlikely you can take those three particular classes simultaneously and get As in them AND work. Physics is a full time job in itself. Taking it with Orgo and work AND a third class is asking to have a couple Ws or Bs or Cs on your transcript. I'm a Physics tutor and had to cut down my hours tutoring Physics students since it was too much brain strain along with Organic I. I am in a 6 week course, though. Still... getting the hang of Physics take SO much time. Unless you're superhuman I'd reconsider your schedule. Maybe in 10 weeks it's possible, but you won't sleep, and OChem and especially Physics both require sleep.:sleep:Just my 2 cents. :) Good luck!

HipChick, I made silly mistakes on the exam too! It wasn't as hard as I expected, but our Prof bases it off the homework and he lets us use our modeling kits during the test. The study group I was in was very helpful. Did you email out the whole class asking if anyone was working together? You might try asking the professor as well to ask the class. It's so worth it to get together with others and pooling your collective understanding during cram sessions!

Last edited:
Monday & Wednesday 8a-5p for 5 weeks. Sounds like a punch in the face to me. I really need to kick ass in the course due to getting a B in Chem 2 last semester. I'll be checking in to this thread and hitting up khan acadamy for help. Good luck to everyone.

:eek: Seriously? Just some friendly unsolicited advice :laugh: - it's unlikely you can take those three particular classes simultaneously and get As in them AND work. Physics is a full time job in itself. Taking it with Orgo and work AND a third class is asking to have a couple Ws or Bs or Cs on your transcript. I'm a Physics tutor and had to cut down my hours tutoring Physics students since it was too much brain strain along with Organic I. I am in a 6 week course, though. Still... getting the hang of Physics take SO much time. Unless you're superhuman I'd reconsider your schedule. Maybe in 10 weeks it's possible, but you won't sleep, and OChem and especially Physics both require sleep.:sleep:Just my 2 cents. :) Good luck!

HipChick, I made silly mistakes on the exam too! It wasn't as hard as I expected, but our Prof bases it off the homework and he lets us use our modeling kits during the test. The study group I was in was very helpful. Did you email out the whole class asking if anyone was working together? You might try asking the professor as well to ask the class. It's so worth it to get together with others and pooling your collective understanding during cram sessions!

No, Physics is not a full time job, Chemistry is :-D

Do you make flash cards? I think it's probably one of the best way to learning techniques out there, especially for organic chemistry.

I usually would spend an hour or two right after the class to make flash cards, this is a good way to reinforce yourself to recall the materials you just covered over in class. Also, make sure you go over your flash cards right BEFORE bed, and right AFTER you get up in the morning.

Yes, flash cards for everything. I spent 1-2 hours after class restudying, and I preread that days lecture. I also studied at night before I crashed. i don't studying in the morning considering honestly... theres no time.

I did send out an entire class email and the professor... yeah... he's one of THOSE profs...

Please tell me you are kidding? Basicaly you are taking like 24 credit hours? of hard sciences... are you sure you can A in all these at the same time?

I'm sure it's going to be difficult, but the program I am in is designed to be taken this way. It's Penn State's official 1 year post-bacc.

You can check out the curriculum here: http://www.brandywine.psu.edu/CE/29766.htm

It's legit and has been successfully completed by 4 previous years of students before me, so I figure if 4 other sets of students can do it, I can do it. Also, it is designed for working students. I don't know anyone in my program that does not work full-time. If you want it hard enough you work hard enough to get it! :)

I'm sure it's going to be difficult, but the program I am in is designed to be taken this way. It's Penn State's official 1 year post-bacc.

You can check out the curriculum here: http://www.brandywine.psu.edu/CE/29766.htm

It's legit and has been successfully completed by 4 previous years of students before me, so I figure if 4 other sets of students can do it, I can do it. Also, it is designed for working students. I don't know anyone in my program that does not work full-time. If you want it hard enough you work hard enough to get it! :)

The Program Cost will be $22,000.

Upon acceptance, a non-refundable enrollment fee of $300 will be due to reserve your place in the cohort.
Total tuition cost of program: $22,000.
Federal Financial Aid is available for this program.

OMG it cost more than my master degree tuition for 3 years...I took out 15K.

Yeah it's expensive, but all the other formal post-baccs in the area are equally as expensive. Temple, Drexel, Bryn-Mawr, etc. It's the going rate around Philadelphia.

Yeah it's expensive, but all the other formal post-baccs in the area are equally as expensive. Temple, Drexel, Bryn-Mawr, etc. It's the going rate around Philadelphia.

You could buy a new car with that money..hmm.....what kind of instructors do you have?

Each class is considered 4 credits, so 12 credits at a time, yes.

Right but 12 credits in the summer is like 24 due to the 8 week schedule. Dude do it if you can! I know I could and work full time, but my job is a little different....

LMAO- I always go by ratemyprofessor! You have to read through the people who were hoping for an easy A, but overall it hasn't ever led me wrong.

Not taking orgo, but doing Chem I this semester along with a couple other courses. I think. May end up dropping one if I can't handle the chem- it's been over 2 years since I've dealt with science at all.

Side note- I will be shadowing a Dr here in a couple weeks! I'm beyond thrilled and cannot WAIT to get started! I plan on studying up on the specialty in my "spare" time. She is one of my mother's good friends, but I don't know her well at all and I'm quite worried I will make a fool of myself and my mom! I know I will be fine, just the excited jitters. I feel like I'm 17 and the new kid in class again, lol.

This thread is turning into a support group...and I love it.

My class starts in two days and I'm getting pretty nervous. I have read the first three chapters of Klein's book, and watched a few Khan Academy videos on nomenclature. But can anyone in the know recommend things I should really focus on now?

I'll also be working full time (as an ED tech), and packing my apartment/selling my belongings/moving throughout the summer. So those of you with scary schedules aren't entirely alone.

Lastly, for those that enjoy flashcards...check out something called SRS. Mnemosyne and Anki are awesome. I found they were much, much more efficient for learning than regular flashcards.

Right but 12 credits in the summer is like 24 due to the 8 week schedule. Dude do it if you can! I know I could and work full time, but my job is a little different....

Yikes, didn't think of it that way. Don't scare me even more than I already am!

Otherwise, I also have Organic Chem As A Second Language. I've heard it's a useful tool so I'm reading that as I have free time. I'm wrapping up Chemistry II and Physiology now (those finish up at the end of June) so I'm trying to get a head start on orgo as best I can now.

You could buy a new car with that money..hmm.....what kind of instructors do you have?
Haha, don't remind me! Not sure what you mean by what kind of professors, but I assume you're asking what types of degrees they have. So far, we've had the same biology professor for both bio classes we've had since January. She has a PhD in Biology. Our Chemistry teacher is an adjunct, but he was really awesome. Much better than the chem teacher I had in undergrad. Our second semester chemistry teacher is another adjunct, but once again she is a really enthusiastic, awesome chemistry teacher and teaches concepts really, really well and has a lot of compassion for us, so I feel really comfortable with what we're learning/getting help. The physics/organics teachers that are coming up are the same ones that taught in previous years and are both PhD holders in their fields. The teachers tend to stay the same from year to year in the program and are familiar with the post-bacc program. It's a pretty small, tight-knit program. There were only about 20 of us to start. The classes are small and the classes are only with people in the post-bacc program. No one else but post-bacc students take the classes, so I know all the students very well in my classes. We're all study buds. :)

Doing the entire organic series over the summer (I, II, and lab).

It starts on June 25th. I won't be attending any study groups as I find them useless and somewhat negative, but I will be checking in here!

There is one trick to O-chem. Work every problem in the back of every chapter that will be tested. Problem solving is the name of the game.

Last edited:
"Like drinking water from a fire hydrant." That's what ochem in 6 weeks is like. I wouldn't recommend it, just 'cause there's not enough hours in the day to do all the practice problems for mastery of the subject, and do your lab write ups well (our prof is a very hard grader) if you have any sort of job and do anything outside of school. I might not do it if I had to start this summer over again. It's definitely not the easy path to acing organic chem!

Last edited:
Well I'm rocking a high B- in the course, like literally teetering on a B. I should have an A, I just can't take test (see test anxiety post in pre-allo). I sit down and look at the paper and... it all disappears. All my knowledge gone. I help people in class and they end up getting high grades on the exams that I:mad:

I have two test, two homework assignments, and one final left. I NEED this A. however, I think lab is going well.

Well I'm rocking a high B- in the course, like literally teetering on a B. I should have an A, I just can't take test (see test anxiety post in pre-allo). I sit down and look at the paper and... it all disappears. All my knowledge gone. I help people in class and they end up getting high grades on the exams that I:mad:

I have two test, two homework assignments, and one final left. I NEED this A. however, I think lab is going well.

Take vitamins, st johns warts and ginkgo biloba

okay, then try DHA, Huperzine-A or Vinpocetine

Ok :) I'll do done research today. I have ADD and am on Ritalin so ive got to watch what I take be side it took a while to find something that helped without side effects :)