Why Allopathy vs. Osteopathy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Hef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Pre-Allopath's,

I was just wondering if you all had an opinion already on osteopathic medicine and osteopathic docs. I actually wanted to be a MD when I was in undergrad, and I didn't even know what a DO was. Then I found out that I had a choice to make b/w DO and MD. Did any of you examine the differences b/w the two before deciding on allopathy? If so, what influenced your decision?
If you haven't examined the differences, why not? Either way, I would at least look into osteopathy just to see what it entails - to see what the difference is b/w you and the DO doc that you might be working beside someday.
Don't think that I'm trying to convert anyone, I just think it is best to examine your options. I'm just curious about what you all think on the matter, thanks for the feedback.

Dave
MSII
LECOM 2007

Members don't see this ad.

Doc Hef said:
Hey Pre-Allopath's,

I was just wondering if you all had an opinion already on osteopathic medicine and osteopathic docs. I actually wanted to be a MD when I was in undergrad, and I didn't even know what a DO was. Then I found out that I had a choice to make b/w DO and MD. Did any of you examine the differences b/w the two before deciding on allopathy? If so, what influenced your decision?
If you haven't examined the differences, why not? Either way, I would at least look into osteopathy just to see what it entails - to see what the difference is b/w you and the DO doc that you might be working beside someday.
Don't think that I'm trying to convert anyone, I just think it is best to examine your options. I'm just curious about what you all think on the matter, thanks for the feedback.

www.fhtm.ws/Olivia :thumbup:

Dave
MSII
LECOM 2007

Easier to get a surgical residency.

Osteopathy? Is that some sort of holistic black magic voodoo medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Code Brown said:
Easier to get a surgical residency.

That is a concern of many docs, even us as DO's. Many DO's go ahead and take the USMLE along with the COMLEX (our version) to open up more residency options.

I agree w/CodeBrown; it seems to be eaiser (and more likely) to get the residencies that I'm interested in now with an MD. At least without having to go through a lot of stuff that is in addition to what's involved in the DO curriculum (i.e. board tests).

I like everything I've read about the DO idea (esp for FPs) and think it's a great idea....just not for me and what I want.

Good luck to all pre-MDs and pre-DOs!!

Is it me or does this seem like an ad for osteopathic medicine. This will probably turn into a flame war soon, so I just want to say GOOD MORNING TO EVERYONE. I BURNT MY TOAST :( before it does.

A word: No bashing of either MD or DO's is permitted in this or any SDN forum. I like what I see so far in terms of civiility, but let's make sure we keep it civil.

Thanks,

The management.

EvoDevo said:
A word: No bashing of either MD or DO's is permitted in this or any SDN forum. I like what I see so far in terms of civiility, but let's make sure we keep it civil.

Thanks,

The management.

:thumbup: power of mods.

Zappa said:
I like everything I've read about the DO idea (esp for FPs) and think it's a great idea....just not for me and what I want.

A good informed decision. Well done Zappa.

I dont exactly agree with the whole residency thing. Osteopaths have many surgical residencies available to them. Plus I have talked to several MD's regarding their opinions on DO's and they have all said that DO's actually have an advantage in certain specialties...take orthopedics for example.

There is always going to be this endless debate as to who is better - MD's or DO's - and there are always going to be the unknowledgable ones bashing on DO's because of the obvious differences in matriculant MCAT scores and GPA's. I look at the DO route as an opportunity for those who are incredibly passionate about the field of medicine, but maybe aren't great standardized test takers or maybe had a couple bad undergraduate semesters.

Bottom line, both MD's and DO's are qualified physicians capable of the same activities, from performing surgery to prescribing medicine.

END OF STORY!!!

They are both options for me. I really want to be a DO, but more than that, I want to be a doctor. Many of the DO schools are fairly expensive, for in-staters and out-of-staters, as well as many MD schools. I've never noticed a difference between MD and DO. In fact, my family physician is a DO and he's wonderful. So, pretty much, I'm all for whoever will take me. :D

Krazed_Medic said:
Many of the DO schools are fairly expensive, for in-staters and out-of-staters

This is definitely a consideration. Some state MD schools can be way cheaper than a DO school. Some doctors are making so much money that debt is not a big deal, but if you graduate with 250K in loans (undergrad + med school), the payment is gonna be large. If you have a family to support, you may in fact struggle to make these payments. Some docs have actually given up their dream of going into peds or fp because they had such high debt. If you have very little debt, you may have more freedom to practice medicine on your own terms. Maybe you can work less hours and spend more time with your family because you can afford to earn less.

i61164 said:
This is definitely a consideration. Some state MD schools can be way cheaper than a DO school. Some doctors are making so much money that debt is not a big deal, but if you graduate with 250K in loans (undergrad + med school), the payment is gonna be large. If you have a family to support, you may in fact struggle to make these payments. Some docs have actually given up their dream of going into peds or fp because they had such high debt. If you have very little debt, you may have more freedom to practice medicine on your own terms. Maybe you can work less hours and spend more time with your family because you can afford to earn less.
Loans are definitely an issue. This played a part in the school that I chose. Where you find the cheapest schools are those that look for in-staters. In WV, where I am from originally, in state tuition was less than 10,000 - and out of state was over 30,000. That's a hunk of change.
An idea for some of you is NHSC - National Health Service Corps. If you plan on doing primary care - then this is something to definitely consider. No loan debt, and you are paid a monthly stipend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure I even read two books on the subject. "The DO's of medicine", and AJ's biography. I think the orrigins of Osteopathic medicine are mostly bs, but currently there is little difference between the education you will recieve. I chose allopathic because I didn't want to go through the hassle of applying through two different services and there are many less DO programs. Also DO schools are usually more expensive, with relatively less financial aid options, and who can forget that enormous deposit they make you put down. My deposit was $0, my buddy had to put down $2000 non-refundables.

Doc Hef said:
Hey Pre-Allopath's,

Dave
MSII
LECOM 2007

Doc Hef said:
Hey Pre-Allopath's,

Dave
MSII
LECOM 2007

What's that link you posted and in your sig, and what does it have to do with your post?

It's like this. Practioners of Osteopathy practice fake medicine and practitioners of Allopathy only treat fractions of the patient.

rgporter said:
Sure I even read two books on the subject. "The DO's of medicine", and AJ's biography. I think the orrigins of Osteopathic medicine are mostly bs, but currently there is little difference between the education you will recieve. I chose allopathic because I didn't want to go through the hassle of applying through two different services and there are many less DO programs. Also DO schools are usually more expensive, with relatively less financial aid options, and who can forget that enormous deposit they make you put down. My deposit was $0, my buddy had to put down $2000 non-refundables.

Omigod. I just realized we have the same avatar. Did I copy you or did you copy me? I'm afraid I may have unwittingly committed some type of internet crime. I just set mine up a few days ago, but I hadn't seen it around, I swear.

My whole self-image is crumbling...web-identity fading...

Medikit said:
It's like this. Practioners of Osteopathy practice fake medicine and practitioners of Allopathy only treat fractions of the patient.
And what do you practice?

He is either ignorant or really funny. Or just a troll.

Medikit said:

Medikit said:
Funny thing is, that's what a lot of people believe.

Honestly, I like the osteopathic medicine philosophy better overall. But, I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for prestige and I don't really want people asking, "You believe in holistic what? And you went to school where? And you call yourself a doctor? Are you a real doctor??" Plus, there's the cost issue, as previously mentioned. And I can't really get into that whole bone-manipulation thing.

aparecida said:
And I can't really get into that whole bone-manipulation thing.

Don't you ever "crack" your back? It sounds like you haven't observed any OMT-forgive me if I'm wrong.

I've shadowed a D.O. and it was fascinating. Not the path for me, but very interesting. The biggest difference is that most D.O.'s go into primary care. Bone manipulation and other techniques unique to osteopathy are only applicable to primary care and so if you are considering a career in a specialized field, you'll be pursuing an M.D., not a D.O. Still, reputation is a large factor, as M.D.'s are still generally more reputable than D.O.'s due to the relatively small number of D.O. schools and practitioners. But when it comes to a family practice itself, you won't see many differences aside from techniques such as manipulation, since 80% of family practice is prescribing drugs.

yposhelley said:
Don't you ever "crack" your back? It sounds like you haven't observed any OMT-forgive me if I'm wrong.
Actually, the feel/sound of bones cracking gives me the willies. I have, thank God, never cracked my back in my life. I plan to keep it that way. No osteopathy for me. :) (Yeah, I know, I'm going to have to deal with a lot worse than bone-cracking noise in the future, but still.)

aparecida said:
Actually, the feel/sound of bones cracking gives me the willies. I have, thank God, never cracked my back in my life. I plan to keep it that way. No osteopathy for me. :) (Yeah, I know, I'm going to have to deal with a lot worse than bone-cracking noise in the future, but still.)

Actually, no one knows what that popping noise is, but its certainly not bones cracking. As far as not ever cracking your back, I assure that you will have to experience that at one point in your life whether you want to or not. It just happens-like when you stretch for example.

You really should observe some OMT before forming an opinion on it.

yposhelley said:
Actually, no one knows what that popping noise is, but its certainly not bones cracking. As far as not ever cracking your back, I assure that you will have to experience that at one point in your life whether you want to or not. It just happens-like when you stretch for example.

You really should observe some OMT before forming an opinion on it.

"No one knows what the popping noise is"... they sure have some idea. "A joint is made up of the surfaces of two bones that slide over or pivot around each other. These surfaces are lined with smooth cartilage and encased in an elastic tissue called the joint capsule. This capsule is filled with a fluid which lubricates and nourishes the cartilage. The fluid is pressurized and has gasses dissolved inside, similar to carbonated soda. During a manipulation, the joint capsule is stretched and some gas bubbles are released similar to the bubbles that are released when a soda bottle is opened. And that is what causes the popping sound." NOt bad, a better Q is why once you start "cracking" a joint does it seem that it becomes a routine and/or necessary part of one's day relieving stress and pain. To my knowledge, one reason is that endorphins are released... any comments?

davematthews said:
"No one knows what the popping noise is"... they sure have some idea. "A joint is made up of the surfaces of two bones that slide over or pivot around each other. These surfaces are lined with smooth cartilage and encased in an elastic tissue called the joint capsule. This capsule is filled with a fluid which lubricates and nourishes the cartilage. The fluid is pressurized and has gasses dissolved inside, similar to carbonated soda. During a manipulation, the joint capsule is stretched and some gas bubbles are released similar to the bubbles that are released when a soda bottle is opened. And that is what causes the popping sound." NOt bad, a better Q is why once you start "cracking" a joint does it seem that it becomes a routine and/or necessary part of one's day relieving stress and pain. To my knowledge, one reason is that endorphins are released... any comments?

Wow, actually three doctors I have talked to say the reason isn't known-so I don't know where you are getting your information from. There are several leading theories-(like the one you just listed), but as far as I know we don't know for sure-why don't you ask some of your teachers. I'd be curious to see if they tell you differently, because that means that it was proven only recently.

When I shadowed a DO using OMT-he didn't necessarily do HVLA thrusts on them (cracking noise). Every patient was taught preventative exercises following manipulation, and as long as they do them-they usually don't have to come back for more "addictive cracking", which moots your point. I'm against the cracking unless they are taught exercises along with it to strengthen and prevent.
I don't know if it is "addictive" due to endorphin release-but its probably less addictive than some of the pain medications (opiates)-that I see MDs prescribe for lower back pain. :rolleyes: FYI-OMT has been shown to reduce the amount of pain medications patients take. Think of it as the lesser of two evils, if you wish. Also, as far as I knew-I thought exercising also released endorphins-thats why I work out at any rate. For that matter-so does chopping off a limb, but I can't see getting addicted to that. Tattooing releases endorphins as well.

O no, does this mean I am displaying drug-seeking behavior when I go to my taekwondo class? It is part of my daily routine of relieving stress.

davematthews said:

I agree, Learned the exact same thing in my biomechanics class

I was taught the same thing - but the professor also said that it was just the leading theory, and no one really knew for sure.

davematthews said:

zzz said:
He is either ignorant or really funny. Or just a troll.

could be all three... kinda like how ppl percieve that "she bangs" asian dood who is goin on tour now... ppl jus laugh AT him... eh... :rolleyes:

funny.

my mom would take me to a chinese doctor before a western doctor for most issues, and she's a pharmacist so go figure. also, to the credit of those do's out there, eastern medicinal philosophy does align better with osteopathy, and for their sake, eastern medicine has been treating people using the same medication people abuse nowadays like ephedrine. but to the credit of the mds, eastern medicine isn't great when it comes to surgical issues. the main problem with allopathy is that they like to fix problems instead of preventing them. america is moving slowly towards that route, but long term goals aren't something we really like to shoot for.

sunUCB said:
I was taught the same thing - but the professor also said that it was just the leading theory, and no one really knew for sure.

Exactly, this is what I said from the beginning. There is a difference between knowing something to be a fact and theorizing about it, people.
:cool: