Why Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anesthesialuv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all the attendings, residents, and medical students out there, why do you do/want to do anesthesiology? What is your favorite aspect about it from a medical standpoint?
What is it about the specialty you like?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
more likely searching for the perfect answer at an upcoming interview.

My answer is this. Sit down and really think about why YOU think its the best specialty for your personal attributes and interests. A personalized answer is far more convincing than attempting to foist off another person's reasons as your own.

I enjoy working in the OR, dealing with surgical patients in a critical care setting, not having to deal with bowel regimens and BS phone calls from nurses at 3:00 in the morning, the fast pace throughout the day, the hands on nature of the job (intubations, lines, drawing drugs, etc.), and no/minimal rounding. Intellectually, I enjoy thinking through the physiology of my patients and understanding powerful drugs including NMJBs and narcotics more than anyone else in the hospital. And though I'm not there yet since I'm only starting in this career, I look forward to being able to handle virtually any code/crashing situation with calm and ease. Anesthesia residents are always the coolest when someone's crashing on the floors.

Read teh stickied threads at the top of the page. There are several "why anesthesia" threads that have been posted there. If you're thinking of transferring from IM though, surely you already have some justification. If it's money and lifestyle, that's a sucky reason.