Why are most med students single?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I know this sounds like a stupid question but read on.
I have been to several med schools and I can say that there are some FINE female med students out there, yet most are single. I guess the same applies to the guys too.
Could it be that we as med students somehow transform into anal- retentive, one dimensional, overly fixated individuals sometime during our med school career in detrement to every other part of our lives?
I know that some of you are going to give the lame excuse that you have no time, oh please! I know that time is a valuable commodity in med school, but I am sure you can make time for someone besides yourself. We all need to strike a balance in our lives, especially as med students, yet most of us fail to do so. I personally hate the idea of this almost forced chastity some fellow students bring on themselves. Come on people, there are actually things out there apart from med school.
BTW, I am sure that most girls (and guys) would be impressed to know you are a med student so unless you are butt ugly or have a nasty personality I see no reason why dating shouldnt be a normal part of a med students life.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr Who said:
I have been to several med schools and I can say that there are some FINE female med students out there, yet most are single. I guess the same applies to the guys too.
Could it be that we as med students somehow transform into anal- retentive, one dimensional, overly fixated individuals sometime during our med school career in detrement to every other part of our lives?
I know that some of you are going to give the lame excuse that you have no time, oh please! I know that time is a valuable commodity in med school, but I am sure you can make time for someone besides yourself. We all need to strike a balance in our lives, especially as med students, yet most of us fail to do so. I personally hate the idea of this almost forced chastity some fellow students bring on themselves. Come on people, there are actually things out there apart from med school.
BTW, I am sure that most girls (and guys) would be impressed to know you are a med student so unless you are butt ugly or have a nasty personality I see no reason why dating shouldnt be a normal part of a med students life.

I've had a different experience. Most of the female medical students I've met are in relationships.

-Ice

how does the % of married people ages 22-26+ in the general population compare to that in med schools. i would guess most people our age aren't married.

plus, many, many, MANY people get married (or become unsingle) during the course of med school. why are you so anxious for people to pair up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not anxiety. I was just reading threads around SDN and realized that many SDN'rs complain that they dont have time for relationships, yet they found time for other things such as excersize, parties, SDN (many, many posts a day), but somehow no time for relationships. Made me think that maybe their problem was not time.

well, i think med school can provide a reason for many to become social hermits; to devote most of their energy to their studies and neglect seeking interpersonal relationships. while i think most students can find a healthy balance, there is a substantial portion of students who become isolated. however, sometimes its difficult to tell whether medical school made them that way, or whether they were always that way (and medical school selects for those types of people). but i do think sometimes we have a stigma against loners yet loners may be quite happy that way.

Did you go around asking everyone about their relationship status at your interviews... Most people I know at my school are either married or in a relationship. Most of the rest choose not to be in a relationship. Maybe you should stop being so nosy....

A large portion of my class are in relationships. There a number of weddings going down this summer (and I'm a first year) so the idea that most med students are single is somewhat misguided.

As for suggestion that others will be impressed that we are med students, i don't think that is always a case. A lot of people may be impressed in some way but would not date a med students because med students do have a reputation for always studying and not having enough time for their significant other. Thus being a med student may be a turn of for a lot of people. This is especially true for female med students. A lot of the girls in my class say that guys are intimidated by female med students. So this can explain why a lot of us are single.

It may seem that I'm contradicting myself but that's not the case. Those people that are in relationships have been going out for a long time, before they became med students.

At my school, half of the 160 people are either married or in long standing relationships. Next you have the fact that our school, like many others, can be as much like a correspondence school as you would like. We rarely have small group activities, and when we do, they are not entirely required. Thus, there is a large contingency of people that I don't even see but once a year when we have a mandatory class meeting of some kind. In the first year of school, there was some dating going on, but then the couples were made and have remained together, so it is like if you didn't meet someon then, you are screwed. Lastly, we have what I call "the people who won't let go" syndrome. This is when you make plans to get 8-10 people together to do something fun at 9pm on a Friday night, and one by one they call you at 8:30 and state that they are really behind in studying and are up at the school. These are not the gunners. They are the folks who just won't let the dream of being in the top 25% go (though they are not going to make it) or won't let themselves go to take a break and have some fun.

This never happens with my non-medical student friends of course, so I almost always go out with them instead. I also find other medical students have found this to be true, and have a healthy non-medical circle of friends outside of school that they must rely on if they want to take a break. Of course, we do have the party people in the class- the people who simply get wasted every other weekend as their fun. Don't get me wrong, drinking is not a bad thing. But it is not exactly a great way to interact when some guy is throwing up on your shoes.

So this means that I have ended up dating mostly non medical people before, and it looks like that will be the case throughout. However, finding an understanding person to your crazy schedule is a tough thing...

Maybe some of those things would explain why people remain single in medical school, at least during the first two years. I have heard that 3rd and 4th years are better - that you might get to know people you really didnt see much in the first two years, etc. Hope it is true...

Most at my school ar maried or LTR. Other med school classes I've been around are the same.

Dr Who said:

first off, a significant # of med students are either married or otherwise seriously involved. as for all these "FINE female med students", they are few and far between. at least at the schools I'm familiar with.

Dr Who said:

let me guess..............your single?

Dr Who said:
I don't know about your school, but the people in my class are gettin engaged left and right. There is not a lot of single folks left, and we had several married folks to begin with :D I think approaching the fourth year, people think about marriage, you know :D It is such a finality!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
doc05 said:
as for all these "FINE female med students", they are few and far between. at least at the schools I'm familiar with.

:laugh:

mynameistino said:
let me guess..............your single?
well................... actually im not. I have been in a relationship for 1 and a half years and before that 4 years with my ex. I didnt post this thread out of spite, just curiosity.
BTW, I want to correct myself. I spoke with a few med students at the school I was accepted to and they do agree with most of you, that there are a lot of couples in med school. From what they told me, after spending day in and day out with fellow students they kind of grow on you, and so many people in med school end up dating, especially during the first year.
So maybe I was a bit influenced by the posts I read here at SDN.
So now I have another question... Do couples that meet at med school last?

and why the rush to get married? thats what our 30s are for, to get married, pop out a couple kids, go through midlife crisis and then get divorced. ;)

I thought there were a lot of hot guys in my med school, but once you get to know their personalities a little better, they quickly become very unattractive :eek:

scootad. said:
and why the rush to get married? thats what our 30s are for, to get married, pop out a couple kids, go through midlife crisis and then get divorced. ;)
Sometimes, (esp before exams), getting married to a hot doctor and becoming a stay-at-home mom and quitting med school doesn't sound so bad. :D

scootad. said:
for the chicks, they're going to have kids with down's or other chromosomal abnormality anyway, so the midlife crisis and divorce will pale in comparison.

TheRussian said:
A lot of the girls in my class say that guys are intimidated by female med students. So this can explain why a lot of us are single.

I know how you must feel...A lot of women are intimidated by my superfine looks and awsome personality so that explains why Im single.

Truth is the majority of med students are completely asocial and have no interpersonal skills. Thats before we even get into looks. In addition, many people overlook the importance of being an "interesting" person (i.e. someone with interests outside of med school). So many classmates cant talk about world politics, music, travel, sports or anything else worthwhile.

That being said I married my college sweetheart so I dont have to deal with these issues. That being said I must say I am a fine catch.

EctopicFetus said:
Truth is the majority of med students are completely asocial and have no interpersonal skills. Thats before we even get into looks. In addition, many people overlook the importance of being an "interesting" person (i.e. someone with interests outside of med school). So many classmates cant talk about world politics, music, travel, sports or anything else worthwhile.

That is absolute crap. My med school class is full of people with interests in many things outside of medicine and we can talk about politics, travel, and sports probably more knowingly that most people in the U.S. The majority of my class is reasonably good looking and the majority are now married. The reason many med students (including myself) are single is just the fact that we have very limited free time and if you don't fall in love with one of your classmates (which by the way, quite a few of mine have married each other) you're probably not going to have the opportunity to meet anyone else.

fourthyearmed said:
That is absolute crap. My med school class is full of people with interests in many things outside of medicine and we can talk about politics, travel, and sports probably more knowingly that most people in the U.S. The majority of my class is reasonably good looking and the majority are now married. The reason many med students (including myself) are single is just the fact that we have very limited free time and if you don't fall in love with one of your classmates (which by the way, quite a few of mine have married each other) you're probably not going to have the opportunity to meet anyone else.

Good point, now that I think back maybe I should have maintained a serious relationship before med school that way I get laid once in a while. The way I see things now the next 3 years appears very gloom in that department. I guess having a little bit of companionship would help too but that is what Netter is for :rolleyes:

azzarah said:
I thought there were a lot of hot guys in my med school, but once you get to know their personalities a little better, they quickly become very unattractive :eek:

Yea and I am sure the same goes for girls in medical school.

azzarah said:
guess you just don't go to the right school ;-)

fourthyearmed said:
i smell a little sarcasm in Ectopic..

LOL,
Funny how a lot of you guys are proclaiming yourselves "fine catches" yet are single.
Either that says a lot about the women in your schools or that says a lot about YOU!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

fourthyearmed said:

exactly...we have many ppl who have different talents etc...myself used to skate vert, but stopped cos I can't have too many injuries

but most of the ppl in my class have relationships outside..

and I have no idea why female med students have an affinity towards accountants

tupac_don said:
Yea and I am sure the same goes for girls in medical school.
I wouldn't know, but I am guessing that's true....that's why i started hanging out with some law students. :D That's the way to go.

I was at a non-med school party the other night and this guy comes up to talk to me and asks me to dance. He finally asked me what I do and I told him I'm a student. What do you study? Medicine. oh really he says and walks away soon afterwards. :laugh:

azzarah said:
I was at a non-med school party the other night and this guy comes up to talk to me and asks me to dance. He finally asked me what I do and I told him I'm a student. What do you study? Medicine. oh really he says and walks away soon afterwards. :laugh:

Most men are PIGS (At least the ones I've met in med school) and the decent ones are usually non-medical students

Dr Who said:
LOL,
Funny how a lot of you guys are proclaiming yourselves "fine catches" yet are single.
Either that says a lot about the women in your schools or that says a lot about YOU!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

By the way, I'm a female. All in all, I think if you make marriage a priority in your life, even a busy med student can find someone to marry. Some of us have other priorities at the moment.

This is an amusing topic. To the person who said that there are a lot of hot, single women at your school, please give a location, 'cause I've got my bags packed :) To be fair, there's a lot of hotties at my school too, but they're all married or in LTRs. However, there's a remarkable trend to all this. Without exception, all the new relationships (read: during med school) that have begun in my class are between classmates. I can't think of a single person I know that has started a relationship during med school with a non-classmate. This is weird because my classmates are on the whole good-looking, athletic, smart, talented and to be honest- "prime husband/wife material." You would think people on the outside would want a piece of the action. I would like to propose a theory to explain this unusual occurence. The theory is: Even if you were an interesting, dynamic, well-rounded individual before med school, chances are you aren't now. As proof for my theory, the following is a conversation that ACTUALLY took place after one of our "block parties" after a round of 6-7 tests:

(popular song blaring in background which no med student knows about, med students mill around unable to recognize each other out of their scrubs/sweats)

Med student #1: Um, so what you been up to?

Med student #2: Well, I've been much been studying 2 weeks straight for all those tests, sometimes I stopped to eat.

Med student #1: Right, yeah well those tests did suck....

(students immediately begin bashing tests, but soon realize what dorks they are and attempt to change the subject off med school - when unable to do so, spend the next few minutes in awkward silence.....)

Med student #2: So, do you remember that question on Grave's disease?

( other student pipes up enthusiastically)

Med student #1: I know, right! That question was bullcrap because I distinctly remember reading about how anti-TSH receptor antibodies......

Horribly sad, isn't it. Now remember, my theory only applies if you were in fact, date-able before med school. Unfortunately for me, I'm much too short and relationship-impaired. I was screwed before. But look at what's happened to my normal, perfectly date-able friends!

Damn you, med school!

i think it is pretty difficult to meet single guys willing to date a medical student if you are a female medical student. i mean, there are the guys in your class, but outside of that i don't think most guys would understand that i have to study most weekends. luckily i am not single, so i don't have this problem :). but if i were, i would have almost no chance of finding anyone b/c most of the guys in my class are either too young, not people i'd want to date, or are not single.

Hmmm.... well, to add to this - I just recently started dating someone who is not a medical student, but is VERY understanding. I think that's the key - anyone who tries to date a med student has to be prepared for very little 'quality time' and quite a bit of, um, study dates. As an example - I had an exam today (Monday) and my bf came to visit me on Saturday... studied with me all day Saturday, went out for dinner Sat night, and then studied with me all day/night Sunday... now THAT'S love. That's what it takes.

Ok. Back to work.
Oh, btw, hi ICE!!!!!! Don't worry - I know all the women here seem to be taken - but you're a cutie; I have faith in your ability to snag one ;-)

quideam said:
Hmmm.... well, to add to this - I just recently started dating someone who is not a medical student, but is VERY understanding. I think that's the key - anyone who tries to date a med student has to be prepared for very little 'quality time' and quite a bit of, um, study dates. As an example - I had an exam today (Monday) and my bf came to visit me on Saturday... studied with me all day Saturday, went out for dinner Sat night, and then studied with me all day/night Sunday... now THAT'S love. That's what it takes.

Ok. Back to work.
Oh, btw, hi ICE!!!!!! Don't worry - I know all the women here seem to be taken - but you're a cutie; I have faith in your ability to snag one ;-)

LOL, you're just happy that you've got someone right now! ;)

Now I've gotta get back to work...

-Ice