Why are there not more people who want to become dentists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the field of dentistry offers so much:

1. rewarding career
2. high salary
3. much respect
4. great lifestyle

Why do you think that there are not more people who choose this route? There are so many advantages to becoming a dentist.

Members don't see this ad.

coolness said:

1. rewarding career
2. high salary
3. much respect
4. great lifestyle

Why do you think that there are not more people who choose this route? There are so many advantages to becoming a dentist.

HHHAHAH......ok, before you start praising dentistry as the "perfect profession", you have to consider the whole picture. You were quick to mention all the advantages of becoming a dentist, but remember, there are many disadvantages as well:

1. confined in one small, tiny space all day.......having to use your hands all the time, when your manual dexterity might not be the greatest

2. Monotomous work

3. Many people are afraid of you and have this image that your sole purpose is to inflict pain (could lead to psychological effects)

4. although, being your own boss sounds great, it can be VERY VERY stressful, and without organization (like with any business) could lead to failure or breakdown....billing, hygenists, attracting patients....you have to oversee all of this

5. Looking at nasty teeth, poor oral hygiene, lots of blood.....may not be some people's cup of tea

6. Chronic back pain

7. Due to social perceptions and that damn Seinfeld episode, dentists for the most part, although respected healthcare providers, are considered inferior to medics....

Thats all I can think of right now. If you look at these negatives and think that they arent so bad, then hey.....of course dentistry is a great profession! :D

Dr.BadVibes said:
HHHAHAH......ok, before you start praising dentistry as the "perfect profession", you have to consider the whole picture. You were quick to mention all the advantages of becoming a dentist, but remember, there are many disadvantages as well:

1. confined in one small, tiny space all day.......having to use your hands all the time, when your manual dexterity might not be the greatest

2. Monotomous work

3. Many people are afraid of you and have this image that your sole purpose is to inflict pain (could lead to psychological effects)

4. although, being your own boss sounds great, it can be VERY VERY stressful, and without organization (like with any business) could lead to failure or breakdown....billing, hygenists, attracting patients....you have to oversee all of this

5. Looking at nasty teeth, poor oral hygiene, lots of blood.....may not be some people's cup of tea

6. Chronic back pain

7. Due to social perceptions and that damn Seinfeld episode, dentists for the most part, although respected healthcare providers, are considered inferior to medics....

Thats all I can think of right now. If you look at these negatives and think that they arent so bad, then hey.....of course dentistry is a great profession! :D

It's good that not everyone wants to be dentists (we won't make any money if there were that many) ...You know what in fact, dentistry sucks as a profession!!! Don't tell your friends to become dentists. You should'nt be a dentist either!!!!
yeah.... :laugh: Don't go into dentistry, it's a bad profession.... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
this is so funny.
we have people defending dentistry at the other thread
and now we have people discouraging competition by listing disadvantages.

well, exposure and guidance are crucial factors. I mean, people probably see their dentists quite often(twice a yr ideally) but they may not have thought about being one. I mean I see my teachers and professors everyday. It doesnt mean that I want to be a teacher for the rest of my life, right? You know, i doubt those hardcore premeds will ever change their mind, so listing as many advantages probably will not change them. However, if you are seriously about dentistry, you should be aware of many disadvantages about this profession. No careers are/will be perfect, so just make sure u could live with the bads and enjoy the goods.

There is one reason, and one reason only:

The public perception/image of dentistry.

Until they start making a reality show starring George Clooney and Val Kilmer (Batman duo :D ) I don't see it changing that much. Their are a lot of reasons why kids choose medicine over dentistry.....and they are not always the *right* reasons, if ya know what I mean :rolleyes: ;)

Oral health care doesn't interest me. And I like the "fullbody" education of the body that medicine offers as well as the flexibility of choices which allows me to specialize in an area....or not at all. Dentistry does not offer me that option. I either like oral cavity.......or I quit school.

Also, as listed by others, I don't like working in tight spaces hunched over.

People ask me why I'd quit my well paying and comfortable job to put myself through of medical schoo, but medicine is what I feel passionate about. In the end, a job isn't just about the superficial aspect of 'prestige' or 'money', it's also about feeling satisfied and happy doing it everyday. It's about enduring the day to day GRIND of it. Trust me, that nice salary you are making doesn't mean jack when you coming into work everyday. None of the superficial things about a "prestigeous, well-paying" job will mean much if you hate coming into work every day.

A job, no matter how lucrative and appealing on the surfce, will feel like a prison sentence if you don't enjoy it.

Woodsy said:
It's good that not everyone wants to be dentists (we won't make any money if there were that many) ...You know what in fact, dentistry sucks as a profession!!! Don't tell your friends to become dentists. You should'nt be a dentist either!!!!
yeah.... :laugh: Don't go into dentistry, it's a bad profession.... :rolleyes:

i'm with woodsy here, i hope more people don't want to be dentists. that means less competition to get admitted to d-school for me and higher salaries. yes, dentistry sucks, you have to be a fool like me to want to do it, be a doctor. :D

the best kept secret in healthcare...keep it that way

;)

coolness said:

1. rewarding career
2. high salary
3. much respect
4. great lifestyle

Ewww. Sticking fingers into peoples mouths all day? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

flighterdoc said:
Ewww. Sticking fingers into peoples mouths all day? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Heh, "Turn your head and cough."

:thumbup: ???

ummmm...

drPheta said:
Heh, "Turn your head and cough."

:thumbup: ???

ummmm...

I definetly agree with you there. I would much rather have my hands in someones mouth all day than my hands in some guys pants.

JRogoff said:
I definetly agree with you there. I would much rather have my hands in someones mouth all day than my hands in some guys pants.
Don't worry guys, I think flighterdoc is specializing in proctology :laugh: