Why are you doing Post-bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShaKh81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Just wanted to get a feel for what brought others into this calling, to the medical field-for those considering getting into a postbac program, those already in a post-bac program, as well as those who have graduated from a post-bac program, either traditional, or through their own methods at state schools, etc. I am at a crossroads in my life right now, as Im sure many of you are, and am trying to clear my head and list logical, realistic and legitmate pros/cons for considering the post-bac program. Just curious as to why you all want to do a post bac?

Thanks

PS-I just got my HES info booklet in the mail today, gona look through it over the weekend :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering post-bacc because I've been teaching for the past 5 years, and I'm not sure just taking my prereqs on my own with freshman undergrads is really how I want to prepare for med school. I'm considering Not doing post-bacc because it's WAY more expensive than instate tuition. But obviously I wouldn't be considering doing either if I didn't want to be a doctor : )

I actually knew I would go back to school till I had a PhD, but didn't think of medicine till I had been teaching awhile. The longer I spend in the classroom, and the more research reading I do, the more I realize that the professionals who have the most respect, knowledge (or at least potential to have knowledge), and resources are in the medical field. Look at the best sellers of parenting books, books about special needs children, etc -physicians wrote them. Look at the research that hits the media -they are medical studies. For me to move intellectually forward, medicine is the best path, at least from my perspective.

The negative side is the burden I'm placing on my family by returning to school and accumulating gobs of debt. I'm not thrilled about cutting back on the time I spend with my son. But then, I can say that at the end of it, we'll have a very comfortable income.

montessori2md said:
I'm considering post-bacc because I've been teaching for the past 5 years, and I'm not sure just taking my prereqs on my own with freshman undergrads is really how I want to prepare for med school. I'm considering Not doing post-bacc because it's WAY more expensive than instate tuition. But obviously I wouldn't be considering doing either if I didn't want to be a doctor : )

I actually knew I would go back to school till I had a PhD, but didn't think of medicine till I had been teaching awhile. The longer I spend in the classroom, and the more research reading I do, the more I realize that the professionals who have the most respect, knowledge (or at least potential to have knowledge), and resources are in the medical field. Look at the best sellers of parenting books, books about special needs children, etc -physicians wrote them. Look at the research that hits the media -they are medical studies. For me to move intellectually forward, medicine is the best path, at least from my perspective.

The negative side is the burden I'm placing on my family by returning to school and accumulating gobs of debt. I'm not thrilled about cutting back on the time I spend with my son. But then, I can say that at the end of it, we'll have a very comfortable income.

my situation is (only partly) similar to yours, thank you for posting. :)