Why are you special?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I have a question about how to answer this in an interview. If they ask something like this, along the lines of, "why should we choose you over someone else," could I answer honestly, saying that there is really no reason for them to choose me over anyone else?

I've seen written time and time again on these boards that, for the majority of people, there is nothing special about them. Even though we may have been raised to think that we have some unique quality that puts us above others and in a position where we deserve a spot in med school, that is usually not the case.

I realize that I am average; actually, I'm below average. So how do I answer this in an interview if I have nothing to offer?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you're below average then you have to work extra hard to come up with a good answer to this question. The "honest" (and self-deprecating) answer is not going to help you much here. I feel like it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking something along the lines of, "maybe they'll accept me for my humility and for the fact that I'm not fake!" But in reality you've gotta just play the game and give them a decent, well-thought out answer. Honesty is a bit of a cop-out here.

Because my parents told me so.... :D

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about how to answer this in an interview. If they ask something like this, along the lines of, "why should we choose you over someone else," could I answer honestly, saying that there is really no reason for them to choose me over anyone else?

I've seen written time and time again on these boards that, for the majority of people, there is nothing special about them. Even though we may have been raised to think that we have some unique quality that puts us above others and in a position where we deserve a spot in med school, that is usually not the case.

I realize that I am average; actually, I'm below average. So how do I answer this in an interview if I have nothing to offer?
If you are below average, then what quality do you have that got you interviews? I guess you could figure out what that is.

If you say that, you blow the interview. Having confidence in yourself is part of being a doctor--you need to be able to make medical decisions that affect other human beings--so if you totally lack confidence in yourself before you even set foot in medical school, that's not going to work out.

A better way to think of the question would be "what can you bring to your med school class?" It doesn't have to be something totally unique that only you do. It can be a hobby, an interest, a creative outlet. A worldview. Exposure to different cultures. How well you work in a group. Whatever. I'm sure there's something.

You need to sell yourself. This is not the time to be modest, but be humble.

Reactions: 4 users
EDIT: what he said ^

special != above average

one thing I read on SDN (I apologize that I don't remember the source) was that before you answer the question, think about why the question is asked.
in this specific instance, why should I be admitted? How am I different? How do I contribute to the diversity of the class? The adcom probably wants to know something unique about me, probably outside of the stats.

Some general ideas off the top of my head, not actual examples
"I offer a unique perspective from my peers because ..."
1. I ask the "stupid" questions because that's how I reinforce my learning. I put that above what others may think of me because ...
2. I enjoy running in my spare time. It has reinforced my core values of discipline, perseverance, friendship ...
3. I'm fascinated by World War II tanks; I have read all the books that I can get my hands on. I enjoyed connecting the dots between technology and strategy, such as ...

It is designed to be an open ended question, and you are only limited by your imagination.

*leans back in chair, folds arms, smirks*

"Let's be honest, I'm pretty much the man."

Be prepared for the interviewer to *accept* you on the spot.

Reactions: 1 users

You might be better off saying nothing and just walking out the door than saying you have nothing to offer. Save your money if you want to blow up your chances like that.

If you can't think of even one cool thing about you, then you should reconsider this career path.

I'll give you some help: what your best friend say about you?

If you can't think of even one cool thing about you, then you should reconsider this career path.

I'll give you some help: what your best friend say about you?

I can't think of anything when I'm stressed out from being in an interview and someone throws a question like this at you out of nowhere

Tough. Yes, interviews are stressful. But so is tying off a spurting artery on a MVA victim, or dealing with an acting-out psychotic patient. Thus, with all the people we interview for our limited number of seats, the seats go to those who display grace under pressure. Panic is not an option for a doctor; clear-headed thinking is.

I can't think of anything when I'm stressed out from being in an interview and someone throws a question like this at you out of nowhere

Here are a few ideas, OP.

1. Talk about your favorite hobbies and why you enjoy them. How do they help you unwind/deal with stress?
2. Talk about some activity you do not necessarily for fun but because you feel it is important to you. Possibly connect this to your personal statement/explanation of 'Why medicine?'
3. Can do mathematics in multiple languages
4. Unique experiences that contribute to do desire for medical career. See #2

As someone said above, modesty is not a virtue in this situation, but humility is. Honk your horn but be ye humble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough. Yes, interviews are stressful. But so is tying off a spurting artery on a MVA victim, or dealing with an acting-out psychotic patient. Thus, with all the people we interview for our limited number of seats, the seats go to those who display grace under pressure. Panic is not an option for a doctor; clear-headed thinking is.

Dude, everyone freezes up their first time. I've never heard anyone say "yeah when I was an intern at my first code, I took control of the room and was giving epi and resuscitated that patient like no one's business"

Answering this question is more of "have I heard of this question and prepared for it?" rather than thinking on your feet under pressure

Reactions: 1 user

Just think about what you bring to the table. Are you good at working with others? Leading teams? Helping to organize big projects? Just look at what you offer as a person. You may have qualities many other candidates do not have, but you just can't see because they're so intrinsic to who you are that they don't feel special.

Dude, everyone freezes up their first time. I've never heard anyone say "yeah when I was an intern at my first code, I took control of the room and was giving epi and resuscitated that patient like no one's business"

Answering this question is more of "have I heard of this question and prepared for it?" rather than thinking on your feet under pressure
I feel like it's a much harder question for younger interviewees- nontrads can easily just throw in the experience card for this one. "I've led teams of people," "I've got a solid foundation of X skills," "I have a sound knowledge of X aspect of Y" or whatever. It's one of those questions that a lot of new college grads also get on job interviews that they're sent reeling by, because they've got no experience and thus nothing special to offer, so they have to get creative. Those with prior experience, on the other hand, have that experience to set them apart and don't really have to think about the question much.

I feel like it's a much harder question for younger interviewees- nontrads can easily just throw in the experience card for this one. "I've led teams of people," "I've got a solid foundation of X skills," "I have a sound knowledge of X aspect of Y" or whatever. It's one of those questions that a lot of new college grads also get on job interviews that they're sent reeling by, because they've got no experience and thus nothing special to offer, so they have to get creative. Those with prior experience, on the other hand, have that experience to set them apart and don't really have to think about the question much.

This has happened to me with a similar question. Even though I have lots of things I could have mentioned from my CV or application, my mind went blank for a few seconds. I paused to carefully consider some concrete examples of a time I demonstrated X or Y, then I explained them. You don't have to have years of work experience to describe a time you were a good leader or team member, etc. If you really think about it, I am sure many of us can recall experiences from school or extracurricular activities (e.g., church, volunteering, etc.) where we exhibited those characteristics. The problem, as was previously mentioned, is that oftentimes these qualities are so intrinsic to us that we cannot think of them off the top of the head.

It helps if you don't compare yourself to others and just talk about some of your best qualities

Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck

Reactions: 2 users
I'm special because my parents subscribed to a culture that values inherent talent over hard work and dedicated effort. Basically my childhood was filled with my role models constantly attributing success to being naturally smarter, more talented, or downright better than everyone else.

This leads to a kid who doesn't deal well with failure. It leads to trouble when things don't come easy because frankly the world owes them everything they've ever wanted, because they're special.

Just be honest why you would be a GOOD fit for the school - that's what they are looking for. They aren't actually looking for "I'm better than most people at... " Unless you actually have an outstanding talent (ie. photographic memory - Gosh I wish I had that)

I would go with the Fight Club quote

Because my parents told me so.... :D

image.jpeg