- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Hematology / Oncology
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Why aren't more people doing benign heme?
Started by MifflinDunder
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My opinion, you answered your own question for one. Number two in the community it’s just not interesting or intellectually stimulating to see 20 iron deficiency/macrocytosis/microcytosis/anemia of chronic disease, etc.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The reason is $$$
I would recommend something like Endocrinology over Benign Heme personally, same pay but less competitive 2 year fellowship, less medmal risk (no blood clots / bleeding consults) and minimal inpatient consults
I would recommend something like Endocrinology over Benign Heme personally, same pay but less competitive 2 year fellowship, less medmal risk (no blood clots / bleeding consults) and minimal inpatient consults
It comes down to money.
Benign heme isn't going to pay the bills to keep the lights on.
Also to be really good there's only a few centers that offer training in managing hemophilia and other rare bleeding disorders, my fellowship didn't have access to this.
Benign heme isn't going to pay the bills to keep the lights on.
Also to be really good there's only a few centers that offer training in managing hemophilia and other rare bleeding disorders, my fellowship didn't have access to this.
I would recommend doing the thing you like. I do benign heme because I'm a rural generalist and primary care here doesn't know how to workup anemia. If I could never see another benign heme case again in my life I would be a very happy person.The salary is more or less the same as academic oncology though, which remains a popular track amongst us fellows.
Would you recommend endocrinology over academic oncology? Salaries are the same when you adjust for no calls and the off-hours work.
Excellent point. The "boring, easy" stuff does allow you a bit of a reprieve.I like seeing a benign heme now and then. I usually try to sandwich a simply IDA between 2 onc patients on active treatment. The benign heme patient serves as a mental break in-between the 2 level 5 onc visits lol
I've mentioned this before (probably in response to one of your messages, actually), but I think this is something that can be worked on. One does not have to forego boundaries just because it's cancer, and I do believe we can be good oncologists while also setting appropriate boundaries that allow us to have sustainable careers.I also find benign heme interesting, although I find solid onc to be more like primary care since I'm married to the patients. I see them too frequently and patients now send me messages about everything else that's not cancer-related. I can already tell that boundary setting just won't work because it's cancer.
I think geographical location matters a lot though. If you are rural, you are going to end up doing a lot of PCP stuff because there is a paucity of real PCPs and plenty of mid-levels who are mismanaging/not managing at all. If you're urban/suburban, chances are you have a lot of other specialists available and a good amount of real PCPs in your area.I've mentioned this before (probably in response to one of your messages, actually), but I think this is something that can be worked on. One does not have to forego boundaries just because it's cancer, and I do believe we can be good oncologists while also setting appropriate boundaries that allow us to have sustainable careers.
Yeah, this is a fair point. Although, I have also inherited some patients from a retiring doc who just chose to do a lot of the PCP work (even though we have excellent PCPs in our area) and so I do think some physicians really do it to themselves.I think geographical location matters a lot though. If you are rural, you are going to end up doing a lot of PCP stuff because there is a paucity of real PCPs and plenty of mid-levels who are mismanaging/not managing at all. If you're urban/suburban, chances are you have a lot of other specialists available and a good amount of real PCPs in your area.
When "boundary setting" was brought up in the context of 'needing to review scans/labs at all hours', I guess I assumed the issue was more feeling like they needed to answer questions at all times of the day / be accessible to patients 24/7, which I do not think is necessary
I like seeing a benign heme now and then. I usually try to sandwich a simply IDA between 2 onc patients on active treatment. The benign heme patient serves as a mental break in-between the 2 level 5 onc visits lol
On that note regarding new patients, I like to double book a new onc patient and a new IDA. There’s no reason for a benign heme to take a new patient slot
IDA is the palate cleanser for the pt with Grade 3-4 tox or progression on scans. Just sayin.
I have 30 minutes for new heme and 60 for new Onc. I use the extra 20 minutes from the new heme (get some iron, get your colonoscopy, come back in a month) to catch up on the new Onc.On that note regarding new patients, I like to double book a new onc patient and a new IDA. There’s no reason for a benign heme to take a new patient slot
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IDA is the palate cleanser for the pt with Grade 3-4 tox or progression on scans. Just sayin.