Why BS/MD programs?

El Nino

Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why do a lot of students want to get in to these programs? How do they know medicine is something they see themselves doing ten years from now? What motivates people to do it?

Just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

I'll just take a guess here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the BS/MD program is a very prestigous program and very hard to get into, therefore making the accepted people feel even better about their acceptance. This program guarantees your acceptance into Med. school after obtaining ur Bachelor's degree, with a certain GPA probably. I would like to apply, but I don't have a perfect GPA. Even if the people in the program decide not to become a doctor, they can still leave the program at any time and will still have that credits in science or w/e courses they took to possibly become something else in the Health care industry (Dental, Pharmacy, Veterinarian).

I think some pople do it as a way to get the schooling "out of the way" so to speak and to cut down on time in university by a couple of years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not all med program save you years - some are the regular 8.

For me, med programs would get rid of the "crap" aspect of becoming a doctor - doing all the pointless work just for med school (mcat, volunteering, ect.). I want to do things like shadow surgeries, and do reserach, not file charts so I can become a doctor.

Med programs also save a lot of headache later...

*Please note - I have done my time of "crap" work close to 600 hours of wheeling around patients and filing charts. Will it help me become a better doctor? HELL NO.
Will watching how doctors take medical histories help me become a better doctor? Very mcuh so. I think that of the 600 hours, maybe 70 were useful for my learning. The other 530 were doing stuff that a person should get paid for.

I think some pople do it as a way to get the schooling "out of the way" so to speak and to cut down on time in university by a couple of years.

Well a Bachelor's Degree is 4 years, and Med. school is 4 years,totalling 8 years with ot without the program not including residency, so i dont think it cuts down on schooling time, just guarantees acceptance and makes sure ur prerequisites are completed.

Well a Bachelor's Degree is 4 years, and Med. school is 4 years,totalling 8 years with ot without the program not including residency, so i dont think it cuts down on schooling time, just guarantees acceptance and makes sure ur prerequisites are completed.

Some programs BS/MD programs are shortened, fast-tracked or whatever you want to call it.

I'll just take a guess here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the BS/MD program is a very prestigous program and very hard to get into, therefore making the accepted people feel even better about their acceptance. This program guarantees your acceptance into Med. school after obtaining ur Bachelor's degree, with a certain GPA probably. I would like to apply, but I don't have a perfect GPA. Even if the people in the program decide not to become a doctor, they can still leave the program at any time and will still have that credits in science or w/e courses they took to possibly become something else in the Health care industry (Dental, Pharmacy, Veterinarian).

Just a correction, while many BS/MD programs GUARANTEE you acceptance, there are many others that DONT. Some require you to get a minimum score on the MCAT, but they do all require you to maintain a certain GPA. that being said, i think more people evaluate which BS/MD program they want to get into.

Usually these programs are for students who are 100% they want to be a doctor. During an interview, any idea that you are confused still, and there is a good chance that you might be rejected.

Why they do it? Some people for prestige, others because its what they truly desire. Motivation factors vary from person to person.

I'll tell you guys something - to be honest - a large percentage of people admitted to BS/MD end up realizing they never wanted to become a doctor in the first place.

My earlier post wasn't to dissuade anyone from pursuing medicine. Just to ponder it carefully, that's all. Cuz think about it...what you want to become when you're 18 years old...and what you realize you are when you are 28 years old... are usually two hugely different things. Everyone wants to become a doctor when they're in high school or college. It's when you hit your mid-twenties that you realize what life is REALLY about.

...and just remember....what you think about when you're 18...and what you want to do with your life changes when you are in your 20s...and again in your 30s....and 40s....and 50s....and so on and so forth. As human beings change is inevitable. So do your research before going to any kind of medical program.

I was wondering why do a lot of students want to get in to these programs? How do they know medicine is something they see themselves doing ten years from now? What motivates people to do it?

Just curious...

just think about how much more you would get out of college if you were spending every waking moment of your life trying to get into medical school. contrary to popular opinion in this country, many people at 18 are forward thinking and mature enough to make a decision about a career choice. the US almost unique in that it chooses to coddle it's young adults for another 4 years following HS before forcing them to confront real life and start making some decisions. (hence the high number of unemployed college grads who end up moving back home to live with their parents) medical training in most other countries begins after high school and is structured like many BS(A)/MD programs and doesn't make you jump through all the premed hoops during college.