Why can't I use an iPad alone for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thing1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, after searching through various other threads, everyone says an iPad alone won't be enough for med school. My question is what are the specific capabilities an iPad doesn't have that would make it bad for med school?

The reason I ask is that I have an old (2007) slow laptop I hate, but that I could still use for med school. Would it be better to just buy a new one or buy an iPad to supplement it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, after searching through various other threads, everyone says an iPad alone won't be enough for med school. My question is what are the specific capabilities an iPad doesn't have that would make it bad for med school?

The reason I ask is that I have an old (2007) slow laptop I hate, but that I could still use for med school. Would it be better to just buy a new one or buy an iPad to supplement it?

Thanks

I'd like to know this as well. From TCOM 2013 and 2014 students, many said they prefer iPads. I haven't heard anything negative about it yet so I plan on using my iPad. What negative aspects are there to just using an iPad to supplement your laptop?

Do you have a keyboard for your iPad? It should work for ppt, notes, etc. but you may need to write some papers and it'd be a pain to use the touchscreen to write a 5 page paper.

You might also have issues streaming lecture videos depending on how the school has it set up.

It'd be nice as a supplement but you need something that is efficient at typing and that can stream non apple approved videos.

I keep debating whether to get an iPad and fix up my old laptop or to just get a new laptop for the price of the iPad. Decisions decisions. I'll probably go with the latter as I have a smartphone.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is ONE solitary guy in my class who uses one. I would never buy an ipad because i dont think they really serve a purpose in life....and thus dont know the features.

As long as you have all the software capabilities of a laptop I dont see what the problem would be. I dont type notes for class so the lack of a keyboard thing wouldnt bother me much I dont think.

You still DO need to type some papers up in med school. Nothing like undergrad but the need is still there. Are you going to be comfortable writing up 5 page papers on that thing without a physical keyboard?

Many medical schools ask that you use personal machines for computer-based testing using secure clients, so that may also be something to consider. Unsure how that would work on an iPad.

I don't really see any reason why an iPad would not be sufficient. It might kind of be a pain to use from time to time, but it'd still work.

I don't imagine you'd be able to get a Citrix client to view patient EMR's lol but maybe you're just interested in something for browsing the web and flash games - iPads have flash right?

I don't imagine you'd be able to get a Citrix client to view patient EMR's lol but maybe you're just interested in something for browsing the web and flash games - iPads have flash right?
No native flash support, but ways exist to work around that.

If you're going to go with a tablet, find an Android one, much better.

try the HP tablets. they are the best IMO

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
they last for a long time though and are so functional. plus my school offered a discount at the beginning of the year so maybe that's an option. if not yeah prices for electronics/tech suck

try the HP tablets. they are the best IMO

Pffft. I'd take Honeycomb (Android) >>>>>> WebOS any day. I think Android and iOS each have their own merits, I'm kinda torn between the HTC Flyer and iPad 2. I think the Noterize app and the fact that I have a MacBook Pro will probably push me towards the iPad....I have a lot of trouble syncing my HTC Incredible with my computer as is.

many testing programs don't work well on ipad

Well if I got the ipad, I was thinking I would use a monitor and external keyboard. It is possible to do that with an ipad, right?

Either way, if its just some random flash modules/occasional reports that I need, I could probably just keep my old computer for that...

I have an iPad and I love it - but it isn't a replacement for a computer. Mobile apps simply don't stack up compared to their desktop counterparts. Think of it as a media consumption device, but not a media creating device. I you need to produce anything, the iPad isn't for you.

If you have budget limitations, take care of your needs first and get a laptop. If you have the cash the iPad is great fun as a toy, wonderful for all sorts of music play, and fantastic for browsing the web.

I have an iPad and I love it - but it isn't a replacement for a computer. Mobile apps simply don't stack up compared to their desktop counterparts. Think of it as a media consumption device, but not a media creating device. I you need to produce anything, the iPad isn't for you.

If you have budget limitations, take care of your needs first and get a laptop. If you have the cash the iPad is great fun as a toy, wonderful for all sorts of music play, and fantastic for browsing the web.

Have you used yours for notes yet? I just recently got one, and I'm trying to figure out what app would be best for it. I heard iannotate was good

Well if I got the ipad, I was thinking I would use a monitor and external keyboard. It is possible to do that with an ipad, right?

Either way, if its just some random flash modules/occasional reports that I need, I could probably just keep my old computer for that...
:laugh: You're going to buy an iPad and then plug a monitor and keyboard into it?

That kind of defeats the purpose of an iPad, and I don't think you can even do it. IMO you'd be much better off with a regular laptop.

:laugh: You're going to buy an iPad and then plug a monitor and keyboard into it?

That kind of defeats the purpose of an iPad, and I don't think you can even do it. IMO you'd be much better off with a regular laptop.

I second the regular laptop, if you really want the ipad experience get an ipod touch or iphone, they are all pretty much exactly the same thing, despite the screens, and quite frankly there are no killer apps made for just the ipad yet

I meant for those occasions where I had to type something up, like a report. Im pretty sure you can get external keyboards regardless. Probably not a monitor though...

Anyways I have already got an android phone that im pretty happy with. Go with the laptop then?

Pffft. I'd take Honeycomb (Android) >>>>>> WebOS any day. I think Android and iOS each have their own merits, I'm kinda torn between the HTC Flyer and iPad 2. I think the Noterize app and the fact that I have a MacBook Pro will probably push me towards the iPad....I have a lot of trouble syncing my HTC Incredible with my computer as is.

Id go with the transformer, or if your price point is higher the asus ep121 seems really awesome.

To the op: My friend has an ipad, yet whenever he studies he lugs around his old 17 inch dell laptops. I didnt think about this before but we do have some flash based modules which you would have to do on the school computer.

Honestly thought, if its either a laptop or a tablet only (android or iOS), I would just go with the laptop. I have a tablet PC which i think is the best of both worlds.

your computer from 2007 is still perfectly fine ....back up your files, wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows and viola! it'll be just like new

my laptop (a mac) is from 2007 and it's perfectly fine for med school ...all i've done since then is switch out the 80GB hard drive that was in it for a 320GB one

my advice is go buy an ipad, clean up your laptop and you can have the best of both world but an ipad is NOT a replacement for your computer

eric cartmans trapper keeper 2000
cartmans-trapper-keeper.jpg

They lack the "full compatibility" that is present in a "regular computer" whether it be a Mac or a PC. So you mind up in a lot of "This application doesn't work on an iPad?!"

And also, the whole no Flash thing...

I mean, it is a great product and all, but despite the advertisements that claim that it is an important piece of technology in a medical setting....I don't think we are there yet. At the very least until all of these big companies start porting their software, drivers, etc. to iPads. And considering the iPad is even more of a "closed system" than even a mac, it might take a while.

I'd first see if you can do a format/reinstall on your current laptop as it may suffice for the basic email/web/office app usage that will be most of what you need.

Like others have said an iPad, at least at this point, really isn't a full on computer replacement yet. Some things that you may have a trouble using an iPad for could include: some online video, flash/interactive learning stuff, proprietary testing software, etc...

And when doing certain tasks I still prefer to use a full laptop. Sharing files could be a little trickier on an iPad where you're basically limited to email or some sort of online storage/wifi transfer vs just using a USB memory stick. And if I'm doing research I still prefer to use a laptop where I can easily keep multiple browser tabs open or multiple PDF documents up and on screen.

Making presentations is still probably a little easier on a full laptop where you can keep multiple sources open instead of switching in and out of different apps on an iPad.

Really, probably for the majority of your daily usage such as email, web browsing, and reading e-books/PDFs, an iPad would be just fine. The problem is that when you need the flexibility and "power" of a full computer you usually really need it and can't get by with some sort of shortcut on the iPad.

The iPad is a fun toy but is not more productive at doing pretty much any tasks compared to a laptop.

You pretty much won't be able to do anything in med school with an iPad. Virtual microscope slides, test questions, concept mapping for PBL (if your school uses that), typing long papers with references, watching lecture recordings (usually requires Flash or Silverlight), etc.

Just...... don't do it. You'll look like a d-bag.

The iPad is a fun toy but is not more productive at doing pretty much any tasks compared to a laptop.

Agreed. It's not a computer replacement at this point in time. Writing papers, streaming flash lectures or videos, accessing EMR's, Board Q banks (UWorld doesn't have an app, Kaplan does but it sucks compared to the real one you access through their webpage), etc.

If you wanna be a cool kid you're just gonna have to fork over the cash for a laptop and an ipad. Apple isn't dumb enough to let you get off the hook with just one.