why can't this be diasteromer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
n797488355_1864285_6721.jpg

It has two chiral carbons (both carbon that are attached to Br).
Can't this be diastereomer?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to show us another molecule. Then we can say whether they are diasteromers of each other.

This is from Destroyer #33.
It asks which produces two diasteromers.
Reactant was cyclopentene + Br2 and what I drew is the product of that.
and it's not the answer meaning this can't form diasteromers.

The answer says this will have an enantiomer only.

Members don't see this ad :)
The example you put up show a molecule that is (1S,2S), and since Br2 adds in anti fashion the other product (entaniomer) would have a (1R,2R) absolute configuration. I could explain it more but simply add Br in anti fashion across the double bond, assign your priorities and check for R and S. Counter clockwise S, clockwise R (if H is not in the back switch it.) Post if you are still confused. I hope this was somewhat helpful. Or I may not completely understand what you are asking

5HTburb//

Do you think the product I drew can have a diastereomer? because DAT destroyer says it can have enantiomer but it cannot have diastereomer.

I think anything with 2 chiral can be diastereomer so I am confused why this isn't the answer.

5HTburb//

Do you think the product I drew can have a diastereomer? because DAT destroyer says it can have enantiomer but it cannot have diastereomer.

I think anything with 2 chiral can be diastereomer so I am confused why this isn't the answer.

The molecule in question can have a diastereomer. What the DAT Destroyer is saying is that the product of the reaction will not yield two diastereomers. It will only yield two enantiomers because the Cl2 adds anti.

Yes the molecule you ask about as previously stated is

(1S, 2S)

So in comparison with this configuration:

(1R, 2R)-----> yields enantiomers

(1S, 1R)----> yields diasteromers

So lets say that in comparison to the molecule you provided, the destroyer gave you the same molecule but both the bromine atoms were on were on solid wedges (coming out of the screen at you) or on dashed wedges (going behind the screen away from you), then those would be diastereomers.

Once again, hope this helps and feel free to post any questions as I am studying (obviously browsing SDN) right now. Good Luck

The molecule in question can have a diastereomer. What the DAT Destroyer is saying is that the product of the reaction will not yield two diastereomers. It will only yield two enantiomers because the Cl2 adds anti.
How can 3 ethyl cyclopentene can have 2 products that are diastereomer
and cyclopentene cannot have 2 products that are diastereomer?

Both of them are having Cl2 adds anti.

The answer key says
the product of 3 ethyl cyclopentene have more than 1 chiral center exists thus diastereomers are possible.

I think the product of cyclcopentene also have more than 1 chiral center (2 because each carbon that are attached to Br are chiral), and don't know why diastereomers are impossible.

Yes the molecule you ask about as previously stated is

(1S, 2S)

So in comparison with this configuration:

(1R, 2R)-----> yields enantiomers

(1S, 1R)----> yields diasteromers

So lets say that in comparison to the molecule you provided, the destroyer gave you the same molecule but both the bromine atoms were on were on solid wedges (coming out of the screen at you) or on dashed wedges (going behind the screen away from you), then those would be diastereomers.

Once again, hope this helps and feel free to post any questions as I am studying (obviously browsing SDN) right now. Good Luck

Since we have (1S, 2S) and (1S, 1R) being diastereomers to each other, we have two diastereomer as products so shouldn't this be the right answer too?

By the way, I didn't understand when you said "destroyer gave you the same molecule but both the bromine atoms were on solid or dashed wedges". I drew exactly what destroyer answer key says so both of them are not on same solid or dasshed wedges. One is dashed, one is wedged like I drew.

Last edited:
No...

Sorry for the confusion...

The products of the reaction will yield a (1S, 2S) product and its enantiomer with the absolute configuration (1R, 2R). Which means that they are mirror images of each other, but not superimposible.