why choose med over your previous career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any non traditional students could please share their opinion on why they chose to leave their previous career for medicine? I am a 4th yr undergrad and ready to start applying...but i just have some doubts about whether i'm making the right decision about medicine...i hear a lot of med students/residents/attendings writing about how they would have gone a different route if only they knew...so i was wondering, since you have seen "the greener side of the pasture", what is it like? Why did you decide to make this career change?

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you decide to make this career change?

Back in college, I felt I was pretty privileged to have gone to a good school and had a lot of luck in life. I wasn't going to sign up for another seven years of school when I could be doing something NOW. I went to work right away, interning in DC, then working at a consulting firm. But somehow it just wasn't right.

I went back to school for a Master's and got a degree in public health. This seemed like it would refocus my career on helping people, which is what I always wanted to do, even though it would mean an instant 30% paycut from what I could earn with a BS. I got a fellowship at the CDC, and everything seemed great! But then it became apparent that as an MPH all you can do is design surveys and administer grants. It's all paperwork and no people. And furthermore no <i>science</i>. (I know this isn't true for all MPHs, I'm just talking about my experience.)

I tried a health policy consulting firm and I will have been here five years before going back to school. It has given me the chance to work on a lot of different levels, do some management, try different projects, and yet I can't get around the fact that I'm just not at all challenged. I spend almost all day every day behind a desk, and I'm arguing over 30-yr-old lead regulations instead of new discoveries in science. If I help anyone (which I think I do), it's five or ten years down the line for people I'm never going to meet instead of a more personal connection.

Med school is a lot of work to commit to and a lot of self-sacrifice. In a lot of cases, it doesn't end with med school, but continues into your career as a doctor. But right now, I'm absolutely ready. In 10 years I've never experienced "job satisfaction". With medicine, I'll stretch my brain and be with people. Now, THAT sounds like a career for me!

I was wondering if any non traditional students could please share their opinion on why they chose to leave their previous career for medicine? I am a 4th yr undergrad and ready to start applying...but i just have some doubts about whether i'm making the right decision about medicine...i hear a lot of med students/residents/attendings writing about how they would have gone a different route if only they knew...so i was wondering, since you have seen "the greener side of the pasture", what is it like? Why did you decide to make this career change?
I'll tell you what I did in a similar situation.

A few years back I was taking time off from school to work in a lab run by a MD. I knew I liked research, but after shadowing the MD a few times, I wondered about the clinical side. So I decided to "test" myself by volunteering at the local knife and gun club (urban Emergency Dept.). I thought volunteering there would quickly polarize me one way or the other.

The second night I volunteered, I found out what a thoracotomy was and discovered what a human heart felt like.

I didn't look back after that.

Members don't see this ad :)

Great question.

For me I got my BS in engineering and worked in industry for several years. For engineers, the pay is good straight out of undergrad, and the hours are 8-5, M-F (aside from infrequent late nights as project deadlines approach, sorta like college!). I worked at a great company, my coworkers were fantastic people, my supervisors were not micromanagers, we all worked fairly independently. I had 3 weeks vacation by the time I left, my own office, great medical benefits, good 401k and matching from my company, and the list goes on. In summary, I was treated very well and was very fortunate to have that job.

I believe life is not just about being comfortable. Everyone prefers to leave their mark on the world in different ways. Some leave it by having a family, raising their kids, and having a stable job to support that, in which case the above job is perfect. Others make their mark through their career, their profession is a source of passion - which is where I land. Even though my job was a good one by many standards, the work itself meant nothing to me. Soon the comforts the job offered didn't make up for one week being the same as the next, being the same as the next, with no passion. I realize medicine will be hard and perhaps the "good" I do will not always be apparent on a day to day, or even week to week basis. But I'd rather have at least one day out of the month being able to say I made a positive difference, instead of a whole lifetime of doing nothing special.

It really depends on what fulfills you. What will allow you to lay on your deathbed as you are about to die, have no regrets, and not be plagued by the question "what if....". For me i would have regretted spending that much of my life on something that held no meaning. Some people will disagree on this approach, but everyone is wired differently.

Good luck :luck:

Great question.

For me I got my BS in engineering and worked in industry for several years. For engineers, the pay is good straight out of undergrad, and the hours are 8-5, M-F (aside from infrequent late nights as project deadlines approach, sorta like college!). I worked at a great company, my coworkers were fantastic people, my supervisors were not micromanagers, we all worked fairly independently. I had 3 weeks vacation by the time I left, my own office, great medical benefits, good 401k and matching from my company, and the list goes on. In summary, I was treated very well and was very fortunate to have that job.

I believe life is not just about being comfortable. Everyone prefers to leave their mark on the world in different ways. Some leave it by having a family, raising their kids, and having a stable job to support that, in which case the above job is perfect. Others make their mark through their career, their profession is a source of passion - which is where I land. Even though my job was a good one by many standards, the work itself meant nothing to me. Soon the comforts the job offered didn't make up for one week being the same as the next, being the same as the next, with no passion. I realize medicine will be hard and perhaps the "good" I do will not always be apparent on a day to day, or even week to week basis. But I'd rather have at least one day out of the month being able to say I made a positive difference, instead of a whole lifetime of doing nothing special.

It really depends on what fulfills you. What will allow you to lay on your deathbed as you are about to die, have no regrets, and not be plagued by the question "what if....". For me i would have regretted spending that much of my life on something that held no meaning. Some people will disagree on this approach, but everyone is wired differently.

i have always wanted to do medicine for as long as I can remember...i think my obsession started somewhere in the 7th grade, and while i had considered other career choices, i always came back to medicine...but recently what has shaken me up is the politics that is taking over the field, which from my research is a big contributer to physician dissatisfaction...also, although i am not doing medicine for the money, all this talk about socialized health care (which i think is awesome if there was some way to reduce our cost of schooling) and reduced pay for physicians has me worried about paying off debt.

i agree with your point about doing something that makes a difference in this world...which is why i am never able to decide against medicine...i feel like if i choose another career i will probably regret not going into medicine.

Also, if I may ask, why choose med school? I mean there are careers in healthcare that are just as rewarding without the hassles of being a doctor...such as PA or CRNA??

sorry for rambling :oops:

Great question.

Great post. I totally agree with you!

i have always wanted to do medicine for as long as I can remember...i think my obsession started somewhere in the 7th grade, and while i had considered other career choices, i always came back to medicine...but recently what has shaken me up is the politics that is taking over the field, which from my research is a big contributer to physician dissatisfaction...also, although i am not doing medicine for the money, all this talk about socialized health care (which i think is awesome if there was some way to reduce our cost of schooling) and reduced pay for physicians has me worried about paying off debt.

i agree with your point about doing something that makes a difference in this world...which is why i am never able to decide against medicine...i feel like if i choose another career i will probably regret not going into medicine.

Also, if I may ask, why choose med school? I mean there are careers in healthcare that are just as rewarding without the hassles of being a doctor...such as PA or CRNA??

sorry for rambling :oops:

I have heard a lot about the politics, socialized medicine, and reduced salary. Those things worry me too since I hear it from so many different angles. With that said, my view is that I can either choose to be a part of the solution and a part of the change, or sit by and wait for others to do it.

My decision to go into medicine is based on several factors, like I love science, math, problem solving, helping people, etc. I would find myself cursing my engineering background because it didn't give me the skill or knowledge to help a family member who was ill, or a kid I saw who was sick and couldn't get help. When I finally started taking biology, I loved it. And, when I worked alongside a doctor this summer, watching him with patients I knew that was what I needed to do. Plus, being a doctor is the most challenging of healthcare careers and I love that.

Do I have fear around what life will be like as a doctor, will I be able to pay my debts, will the politics totally suck? Yes, definitely. Do I have doubts about becoming a doctor? No.

You'll always be able to find people who will tell you medicine is an awful career, and people who will tell you it's the best career ever. So, the only thing left for you to do is take in the information, and then listen to yourself. A little bit of fear is natural, and there are no guarantees, so just enjoy the journey!

:banana:

I am like many of the non-trads here. I had a good paying job, great benefits, a month of vacation, etc., etc. Earlier this year I left it all taking an 80% pay cut to work as a clinical research assistant.

Why? I decided I really want to be a physician. As an undergrad, I am now in my 30's, I "thought" I wanted to be a physician. However, I did not know what that meant, nor did I have the discipline or drive to put all my efforts into making it happen. I was content getting average grades. Then fear prevented me from applying. With my lackluster grades getting in was a long shot.

Then I had the opportunity to shadow a surgeon (friend) for two weeks. I rounded with the med students, scrubbed in to surgeries, attended conferences and even took call. Every day I could not wait to wake up at 4:30 to go back to the hospital. Then after my little vacation, I returned to work. I received 8+ hours of sleep and did not want to get out of bed. That told me a lot. From then on, I knew what I needed to do.

I would never discourage anyone from becoming a doctor. However, you must be realistic and understand that it is not for everyone. There are a lot of sacrafices you need to make (financial, personal, etc.) and if money is your focus go into business. There is a lot more money to be had then.

All I can say is try to get an experience that will let you know that medicine is for you. If you love it, go after it with all you have. One of my biggest regrets was that I let fear stop me from applying years ago but I am doing it now.

Sorry for the long post.

but recently what has shaken me up is the politics that is taking over the field, which from my research is a big contributer to physician dissatisfaction...

Unfortunately, you find politics everywhere these days...

My story: I'm a Ph.D. student. I wanted to be a doctor from the time I ws 3 until I met pre-meds in college. I didn't want to be like them, obsessing about grades all the time (that said, I did well- about a 3.7). I did some research after one summer and decided that it was fun, and started thinking about grad school. I debated taking time off and doing teach for america, but my profs talked me out of it. I came to grad school. I liked teaching (I got to interact with a variety of people) but when it came time to do research 100% of the time, I wasn't super excited. I started volunteering at a nursing home after my second year on a whim, and it re-ignited the medicine bug. I shadowed a doctor- a geriatric doctor- for a while and all i could think of was how I'd rather have his job than slave away in a lab for the rest of my life. Now I'm applying. I think I still want to put my research skills to use, but not 100% of the time- I'm excited about becoming a clinician!

Best of luck in deciding what you want to do- it's normal to have doubts... that's what makes you sure you really want to do it in the end.

Every day I could not wait to wake up at 4:30 to go back to the hospital. Then after my little vacation, I returned to work. I received 8+ hours of sleep and did not want to get out of bed. That told me a lot. From then on, I knew what I needed to do.

Your whole post was awesome :thumbup::thumbup:

I went through a similiar experience, where I had a few really inspiring experiences that dramatically shifted my perspective....it was like I woke up. After that, going to work felt increasingly unbearable.

Way to take the leap! Are you applying this cycle? Good luck! :luck:

Unfortunately, you find politics everywhere these days....

Agreed.

I shadowed a doctor- a geriatric doctor- for a while and all i could think of was how I'd rather have his job than slave away in a lab for the rest of my life.

That's awesome that you were able to shadow the doc and realize that you did want to do medicine. Honestly, I know what you mean about some of the pre-meds being enough to scare someone out of applying. In my MCAT review class, there were a few that would openly make fun of other people who asked questions, even if it was a good question. Totally lame and uneccessary. I did my part to loudly comment that I thought the questions were excellent and useful :D. I'm crossing my fingers that we are all magically mature and adult-like in med school....:hardy:

Best of luck in deciding what you want to do- it's normal to have doubts... that's what makes you sure you really want to do it in the end.

Totally agree. To the OP, the fact that you are realistically considering things means that when you do make a decision, it will be the right one.

Unfortunately, you find politics everywhere these days...

My story: I'm a Ph.D. student. I wanted to be a doctor from the time I ws 3 until I met pre-meds in college. I didn't want to be like them, obsessing about grades all the time (that said, I did well- about a 3.7). I did some research after one summer and decided that it was fun, and started thinking about grad school. I debated taking time off and doing teach for america, but my profs talked me out of it. I came to grad school. I liked teaching (I got to interact with a variety of people) but when it came time to do research 100% of the time, I wasn't super excited. I started volunteering at a nursing home after my second year on a whim, and it re-ignited the medicine bug. I shadowed a doctor- a geriatric doctor- for a while and all i could think of was how I'd rather have his job than slave away in a lab for the rest of my life. Now I'm applying. I think I still want to put my research skills to use, but not 100% of the time- I'm excited about becoming a clinician!

Wow, I felt like I was reading my own story here, chemphd! I too went to grad school, loved the teaching, but was less than enthused w/ the research. I went back to volunteering in the clinic and knew that was where I needed to be. I left my grad program after 2.5 years with a master's degree, a published thesis, and at least 1 journal pub in the pipeline. I did feel like leaving my grad program before completing the Ph.D. was a black mark on my app, but I just got my first acceptance today :D, so all the drama I went through in the last year to get here was worth it.

to everyone that took the time to read about my dilemna and share their opinions, thank you!!...i really enjoyed reading what you had to say and it helped! :)

Before this thread dies, I wanted to post my favorite quote, the one that reminds me why I'm doing what I'm doing:

"No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams." — Kent Nerburn

Wow, I felt like I was reading my own story here, chemphd! I too went to grad school, loved the teaching, but was less than enthused w/ the research. I went back to volunteering in the clinic and knew that was where I needed to be. I left my grad program after 2.5 years with a master's degree, a published thesis, and at least 1 journal pub in the pipeline. I did feel like leaving my grad program before completing the Ph.D. was a black mark on my app, but I just got my first acceptance today :D, so all the drama I went through in the last year to get here was worth it.

Congrats on your acceptance:D That's awesome! Hopefully, one will come my way soon. I too debated leaving, but things worked out so that I am able to graduate before I wanted to start med school... in that case, why not finish the Ph.D. (that's what I figured, and it could come in useful down the road...). Always good to know there are more people in the same boat with you- kind of comforting.

I have not been accepted to med school yet but I sure can tell you what i gave up. I quit my job and have been nearly impoverished ever since. I am living off loans and credit cards.

I honestly would rather be deployed to Iraq, than return to my job in sales at the bank. My job had me selling annunities and CDs to old people. Every week I'd have meetings in which my boss tried to intimidate me, more or less call me stupid and BS me.

WE HAD AN EXCEL SPREADSHEET THAT REPORTED SALES EMAILED TO EVERYONE ON A DAILY BASIS which basically broadcasted our income. Those at the bottom took a lot of crap and endured a lot of snickers. I can't tell you how painful and demoralizing it was to work your ass off and lose a sale to a customer because you were honest. I remember thinking that I just couldn't afford to be honest. Honestly was a penalty.

The co-workers in the bank were some of the most idiotic people I have encountered in my 30+ years on this earth. Banks are usually frequented by the most bitter, angry and hostile old people known to man. It made me hate senior citizens who would cuss you and call you a thief, repeatedly just to save a nickel.

My job made The Office look like a paradise. There was one time I was up until 3am doing a detailed financial plan for a customer who simply skipped the meeting and wanted to know if she could just pickup the plan and take it to her other bank. I used to come home from work floating on a sea of wrath, loathing and hatred. Then one day our branched was robbed and the next thing I remember was being face down, studying carpet fibers while some thugs brought in shotguns.

Each incident, each nasty comment, each disappointment was just another nudge from life saying "hey, get out of here" or "hey, you need to move on" and that has fueled my desire. That was my old job and former life and I have nothing to show for it but some crappy tax returns and an old motivational tape. I swore I'd never waste another minute of my life doing something irrelevant and that no matter how hard, how long, or how difficult the road, I'd make this work. And I am!

Sorry to carry on but if you must know, I gave up the f_cking prison of retail banking.

Multiple reasons, in no particular order of importance.

1) It is on my list of "to do's". A couple of decades back I created a list of things to do in life before I die including : being in 5 feature films (I have been in 4 so far, 3 as an extra and one I have a speaking role) , climbing both Mt.Kilamanjaro and Mt.Fuji (have not done), earning a 5th degree black belt recognized in Japan (earned my 6th degree black belt in Jujutsu in 1996), and setting a world record in something (have not done). Becoming an MD was on the list.

2) I wanted a job I could be employed at with a decent salary. I owned my own business for many years - took home 6 figures with 20 to 30 hours a week of work, but was very tired of hiring and firing, making sure the copier had toner, deciding who the phone carrier was, making sure business licenses were up to date, making payroll for employees, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. I will probably end up in business again as family medicine BUT I can be employed in urgent care, prisons, etc and still have decent salary and not have to worry about all the management crap. I am employed right now but the salary is horrible - but even then its so nice that at the end of the day I walk away and nothing that happens after that is my problem. As an employee its so much easier to be "on" and "off". When you own your own business you are always on.

3) One day I just wanted to spend the rest of my life caring for people. I hope by the day I die I will sincerely be a good hearted man who cares deeply for people. I have not always been a nice or caring person. Its part of my spiritual evolution.

4) Around 2000 I had a good experience with a doctor. I went in, they were attentive and I felt better with their recommended treatent. First time that had happened (never really had a great experience with an MD before) and I was impressed - that moved me to decide it was time and fill out the application.

There is another but it is more personal.

I believe life is not just about being comfortable. Everyone prefers to leave their mark on the world in different ways. Some leave it by having a family, raising their kids, and having a stable job to support that, in which case the above job is perfect. Others make their mark through their career, their profession is a source of passion - which is where I land.

Some people make their mark by doing both.

I agree with you. I like Eminem's quote from the song LOSE YOURSELF : "a normal life is boring..".

I have a "comfortable" job right now. I am a school guidance counselor (master's degree). I work 7:30-3:30 with about 11 weeks off per year (summer, christmas, easter, various holidays). This is my 5th year and I make close to $50k with great benefits.

I originally wanted to go to medical school, but I married young and we traveled where the Army sent him. When he left me after 8 years of marriage, I finally had the option of doing what I wanted to do. My first thoughts were of medical school.

While I can enjoy my job, I know it is not for me. I am not passionate about academic counseling and I do not want to be here for the next 30 years. I want to be a doctor so badly that I am willing to do whatever it takes. I have hired a babysitter to watch my kids so that I can go back to school 2 nights a week to get the pre-reqs. I also have to pay a babysitter so that I can volunteer once a week at the hospital.

I look at my life and I know I do not want to be a counselor 10 years from now. I am EXCITED about health care and the posibility of being a doctor. I know that I have many more years in this life (I am 28) and I want to make the change now so that I can spend the rest of my life in a profession that I love.

"No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams." — Kent Nerburn

That was an awesome quote; it says exactly what I am feeling. I am an 8 yr military veteran, and my recent decision to separate from the military to pursue a medical career is constantly under fire. I guess they feel that I should continue to be miserable for another 12yrs, to receive a pension equivalent to 35% of my already lousy pay (and a few other worthless benefits), and continue wondering, "what if". That quote struck a chord in me, and I appreciate you for sharing it with us.