"Why Dentistry? <Insert your name here>"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grifgin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
If you guys could take a few moments and reply with the answer to "why do you want to be a dentist"

Id say that this is the most often asked question in an interview

and oh yeah, nothign like (1) "Ive always wanted to be a dentist" or (2) "I like money, and they make a lot of money"

tc and thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to be a dentist because it will give ppl like you one less chance of becoming one.

grifgin said:
Hey guys,
If you guys could take a few moments and reply with the answer to "why do you want to be a dentist"

Id say that this is the most often asked question in an interview

and oh yeah, nothign like (1) "Ive always wanted to be a dentist" or (2) "I like money, and they make a lot of money"

tc and thanks!

contrary to what the other person thinks, good question... I would have to say that it's because dentistry is dynamic in that it balances clinical skills, business sense, interpersonal skills, manual dexterity, continuing education, etc... It also has great potential, you may go as far with it as you have the energy, which makes it exciting and challenging.

Members don't see this ad :)
wireless_doc said:
I want to be a dentist because it will give ppl like you one less chance of becoming one.

BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

crocko13 said:
contrary to what the other person thinks, good question... I would have to say that it's because dentistry is dynamic in that it balances clinical skills, business sense, interpersonal skills, manual dexterity, continuing education, etc... It also has great potential, you may go as far with it as you have the energy, which makes it exciting and challenging.

My thoughts exactly, its like you read my personal statement. My brother in-law is a dentist and I was realy impressed with the flexibility and challenges that come with his profession. He primarily does implants and more cosmetic dentistry, but he admitted if a patient comes in with other problems he can decide if he wants to refer out or take on the challenge. There are not many professions where you can decide how specialized you want to be. I am attracted to dentisty because of its dynamic nature. I am one of those kind of people that need to work with my hands, I would much rather fix or build something then read a book.

Great thread.

Because I like the way topical cream feels on my tongue. Wicked!!!!:cool:

wireless_doc said:

This question has been beat to death... do a search.

i like dentistry cause its fun

busupshot83 said:
This question has been beat to death... do a search.

very true...you should look up interview feedback to see how others have answered this. Besides, what IS your reason for pursuing dentistry? It doesn't matter what the reason is, if it's genuine and you can communicate that across, then that'll work. Using someone else's explanation, might not ring true when you're trying to sell it.